This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mithologian

Reaction score
Take the 2 string barred chords you play in a drop tuning, put it into a standard tuning, palm mute it, Gojira.

Yep. Gotta thank WOP for that idea (as in, i found that out through them). Its stuff like this I was kinda looking for.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So I searched this entire thread, but couldn't find an answer: What tuning does Karnivool use? I figured the lowest string is B, but I didn't know if it was B standard, drop B, or I heard somewhere it was their own custom tuning?

Reaction score
well,Drop C: the ocean collective,Drop Low D# : ion dissonance on cursed,Drop A#: war from a harlots mouth on In Shoals,Drop low F: war from a harlots mouth on MMX.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure Necrophagist tune to A, seeing as they play all their old songs on 7 strings now.

dclayton1388

Reaction score
I know Chris from STS tunes his 8 string to BEADGBEG, but what string gauge does he use to get his high g? .. I've used the search on here, google and all. but I can't seem to find it. :( help please?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a .08, maybe a .07 at tops since from what I've heard that's already getting close to nothing, as well as bending on a .07 will go out of tune fairly easy I assume

dclayton1388

Reaction score
Thank you! I was in a store the other day, and ernie ball has slinkies that have the high string of .08, so i'll have to try that.

yidcorer

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you! I was in a store the other day, and ernie ball has slinkies that have the high string of .08, so i'll have to try that.

I know for a fact that Tom morello played a guitar tuned to G standard during his time in Audioslave.

Zachaltman

Reaction score
So I have been playing guitar for about seven years now and seven strings for about a year. i always enjoyed playing The Black Dahlia Murder stuff partly because of their darker tuning. C Tuning (C F A# D# G C) has always been amazing to play with and i was wondering if anyone has altered it to play on a seven string or even tried it. I would love to have the seventh string dropped so i can still play those heavy deathcore riffs as well as incorporate them into TBDM stuff as well. I was thinking tuning the thickest string to F as that would be "dropped" but didnt know whether or not there is a better way or what gauge strings to use. right now i have a schecter damien elite 7fr with Ernie ball power slinky strings(11-58). If any one can help it would be much appreciated!

troyguitar

Reaction score
I'd probably get a regular 6-string set of 12s or 13s and buy an individual .080-.090 to use for the low F for a tuning like that on the 26.5" Schecter.

Alternatively you could tune to drop C the other way, CGCFA#DG, with something like a set of 8s plus a .048-.054 for the low C.

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
I am not sure if i misunderstood you, but you want to have a TBDM tuning, which is C standard, and want to play heavy deathcore riffs with a low F?
then i think the only possibility is to drop your 7th to F and keep the others in C standard XD it`s not only the only possibility, but also the most intelligent ;P
if i misunderstood feel free to call me idiot and read on about string gauges:

well for string gauges, it depends on your taste. 11-58 for C stand seems pretty cool, i would use the same (maybe for the C i would go with a 54 or something, depends....).
for the low F i would recommend at least a 70, better a 74 if you can get this strung up on your guitar. but for some ppl a 66-68 might work too, depends on your picking style....
just buy 3-4 strings with different gauges and see what you like the most and what your guitar likes the most :p

EDIT: 80-90 string gauge? forget it man, that`s just too much ! ;D 70-75 should be enough from my experience....

troyguitar

Reaction score
EDIT: 80-90 string gauge? forget it man, that`s just too much ! ;D 70-75 should be enough from my experience....

If I'm reading right, he's used to 11s in E standard for tension. A .070 tuned down to F will be nowhere close to that. A .011 tuned to E is 21 or so lbs of tension, the .070 tuned to F is only like 12.

Zachaltman

Reaction score
thanks guys!

Troy- that would definately work but i still want the super heavy dropped tuning and not just the c.

Syndrome-thats really helpful actually! i tend to have a heavier picking hand so i think il go with maybe the 72 or 74s. i recently brought my guitar to drop g and it sounded really muddy so idk if it was due to string gauge or just my amp sucking extremely bad and not handling it. il go out to guitar center in a day or two and get a few packs of strings to try it out though.

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
thanks guys!

Troy- that would definately work but i still want the super heavy dropped tuning and not just the c.

Syndrome-thats really helpful actually! i tend to have a heavier picking hand so i think il go with maybe the 72 or 74s. i recently brought my guitar to drop g and it sounded really muddy so idk if it was due to string gauge or just my amp sucking extremely bad and not handling it. il go out to guitar center in a day or two and get a few packs of strings to try it out though.

1st: its syndroNe! :D its funny because from the 1000 times ppl wrote my nick in the internet nobody managed to write it correctly haha ;D but no problem!

well, having a muddy sound can come from a flubby string, but mostly it`s the actual sound that sounds muddy (amp, cab, no TS to tighten up sound). loose strings mostly affect intonation, sustain and lack of "meat" in the tone imo, but it`s all from my own experiences.
just try out, i think the 26.5" or whatever the Schecter has should be cool for a good tight string sound on its own.
enjoy : )

')