This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Yeah Born of Osiris uses drop G on their 7 strings from The Discovery on

Devin Townsend always plays in open tuning right so he's in Open G for his 7 string stuff (Ziltoid the Omniscient, Deconstruction, etc.)

I'm def gonna check out those other bands mentioned!

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I can think of a few but the only band that stand out to me are Born of Osiris. They only used it on their last album The Discovery but it sounds great. It's produced really well and you can really hear the crushing evilness of those low chords. And there's some groovy "djent" parts if that's your thing.

:noplease: Please never refer to Born Of Osiris as "djent".

breadtruck

Reaction score
:noplease: Please never refer to Born Of Osiris as "djent".

Meh I kinda hate the term anyway and I don't wanna use that as a genre name, but I just mean when they hit that low G open it sounds as if theres a lot of slack in that string so it sounds very "djenty" to me in parts. I've heard that word a lot to describe a similar sound so I guess it was just the easiest way for me to describe it.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
BoO is djent, dealz with it. Not like it's a big deal, it's not like being a djent band makes them bad.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions to everyone, mind that I'm looking for bands playing in G tuning (Meaning G standard), not exactly drop G. ;o

Sikthness

Reaction score
G standard and C standard seem to be relatively 'rare' tunings in metal for some reason. Dunno what thats all about, I like both..Tuningism is what it is, blatant 2 step down discrimination.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
goddamn, i tune mine down a half step and that seems low as hell to me.

Recreant

dissonance
Reaction score
The Contortionist, Shadow Of The Colossus, and Defiler all play in drop G#

Defiler is rather generic but their vocalist is insane.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You are definitely new here if you're referencing Defiler in a serious manner. :lol:

Recreant

dissonance
Reaction score
You are definitely new here if you're referencing Defiler in a serious manner. :lol:

Well yes, I am new here but the poster of the thread was asking about bands playing in G tuning, and I felt that Defiler (albeit I already mentioned that they are very generic) was relevant. Even though Defiler is not the highlight of my post and I like to think the other two bands are, I felt that OP may or may not enjoy their sound, and that's up to him.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
No worries, mate. That band is just sort of a continual joke around these parts. Didn't mean anything by it. :cheers:

Recreant

dissonance
Reaction score
No worries, mate. That band is just sort of a continual joke around these parts. Didn't mean anything by it. :cheers:

Oh well could you inform me about the joke? I'd like to know haha. Cause even though, personally, I like them a little bit, I could tolerate a joke about 'em. :lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Just the fact that it's a bunch of teenage kids trying to be hardcore about a break-up. Not to mention the "story" section of the video is just absurd. He lights a break-up note on fire like it's supposed to be a house or something. :lol:

Recreant

dissonance
Reaction score
Just the fact that it's a bunch of teenage kids trying to be hardcore about a break-up. Not to mention the "story" section of the video is just absurd. He lights a break-up note on fire like it's supposed to be a house or something. :lol:

lmao, I get cha.

')