This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
Drop C:
August Burns Red
I, the Breather
As I Lay Dying

7 String B Standard:
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Hour of Penance

quattro19tdi

Subcontrainfrasound
Reaction score
I haven't read all 23 pages, but are there any metal bands that play in A-standard (not drop-A) other than the bands mentioned in the long list on the first page?

A standard - 6 strings(A D G C E A)
Bloodbath* [[Death Metal]]
Demilich [[Technical Death Metal]]
Dream Theater* [[Progressive metal]]

A standard - 7 strings (A D G C F A D)
Korn
MushroomHead
Fear Factory* [[Industrial/Death Metal]]
Divine Heresy* [[Brutal/Industrial Death Metal]]
Beneath The Massacre [[Brutal/Technical Death Metal]]
Also, if you know any bands/songs with 8-string tuned one step down to E-A-D-G-C-F-A-D, that would be awesome :hbang:

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
The 8-string tuning I stumbled into today: GADGBF#GD. Very minor if you're just playing what the tuning gives you but play about with some more unusual fingerings and there's some real sweetness comes out of it.

as_i_am

Reaction score
I haven't read all 23 pages, but are there any metal bands that play in A-standard (not drop-A) other than the bands mentioned in the long list on the first page?

Also, if you know any bands/songs with 8-string tuned one step down to E-A-D-G-C-F-A-D, that would be awesome :hbang:

Forever Never are in A standard i think and Portal are in E on 8's

NickBWB

Reaction score
Does anyone know what tuning Timfy from Hacktivist uses? Most people seem to think it's open E ..

J7string

Reaction score
I want to try a D tuning with one of my 7 strings. D standard on a 6 is DGCFAD. I want that tuning on a 7 with an extra high note. So would that be DGCFADG?

Also I want to try open D tuning with an extra high note. would that look like this: DADFADA?

Chuck

Reaction score
I want to try a D tuning with one of my 7 strings. D standard on a 6 is DGCFAD. I want that tuning on a 7 with an extra high note. So would that be DGCFADG?

Also I want to try open D tuning with an extra high note. would that look like this: DADFADA?

Yeah that sounds right for both tunings. Open tunings are real fun try the tuning that Devin Townsend uses if you haven't already

GCGCGCE or open C major with a low G

BHuard75

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds right for both tunings. Open tunings are real fun try the tuning that Devin Townsend uses if you haven't already

GCGCGCE or open C major with a low G

Thinking about this has me all EF'd up picturing chord patterns...LOL

johnny_ace

Reaction score
well alot of people sometimes get comfused on Deftones tunings all you need is a quick search of the google machine to find them

Stephen Carpenter: Deftones Guitarist Grooves On Saturday Night | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

What were the different tunings you used on the new record?
For tunings, on all of Saturday Night Wrist, with the exception of “Beware,” which I was in G# on the 7-string, but if it was a 6-string guitar, I would be in C#, but on the 7-string, the extra lower string is G#. All of the other songs on the new record were done in that tuning with the G# dropped down to F#. So from low to high, it’s tuned F#, C#, F#, E, B, G#, C#.
I play power chords and bar chords. I don’t have this glossary of stuff to pick from or a lot of single-note stuff. But as a guitar player, I’m really getting ready to delve into that world, but bit by bit. I’m not going to sit in my room for a year and crack out on it. But I definitely intend to expand my abilities. I’ve become more interested in playing lead guitar, but not in the sense where I want to be soloing all the time. I want to play a lot of little melodies. I want to step outside of rocking the riff all the time and be able to cut back and forth between riff and melody with some nice little chords that really change the whole mood and totally shift vibes with chords.

How many different tunings do you use when you play live?
Well, our first record was all in E, our second record was all in D# with the low string dropped down to C#. I was playing 6-string then. White Pony was the same thing, but we dropped it all down a half-step, so it would be down to C. When we went to the self-titled record, that’s when I went to playing 7-strings all the time. And when Chino started playing his guitar he was always playing in C#. I think that’s one of the tunings he uses with Team Sleep. So he would just play with that tuning. And me playing in G# is the same as him playing in C#. And then for almost everything on Saturday Night, I just dropped down my low string from G# to F#. It sounds cool. But it’s not the same kind of sound I hear when I hear the 8-string and I hear that low F. I joke around and say I want to get a baritone 8-string and have that thing tuned all the way to E! It would be a whole octave lower from actual standard tuning on my 6-string and all the way down two more strings. That’s my love for music right there. There isn’t a rule or a definition of how it’s supposed to be, although I’m probably not going to step off the edge of the cliff and just go wild. But I might. I don’t know. I’m certainly not calculating when I’m going to do it. I’m just enjoying where I’m at right now.

so... to recap

Adrenaline - E A D G B E
around the fur - Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
white pony- C G C F A D
Self titled - G# standard on seven string
Saturday Night Wrist- F#, C#, F#, E, B, G#, C#. Except for Beware
Diamond eyes -8 String Standard
Koi No Yokan- Drop E

songs originally played on a six-string guitar on a 7-string with the two highest strings tuned to the same note (ex. EADGBEE for Adrenaline)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
There any bands that use a high A(4) string?
any videos of high A strings or even a high D(?, I think it would be D)

Reaction score
Ok, I have a basic question, but first I'll explain how is the tuning of my 6-string guitar now and what string gauge I'm using. I know my actual tuning taking in account the string gauge is insane, but I've managed to make it usable by having a good setup. I guess I was afraid of jumping into higher string gauges.

String set I'm using is D'Addario Super Light Gauge, with gauges from 6th to 1st as it follows: 42, 32, 24, 16, 11, 9.

The tuning I'm using from 6th to 1st as it follows: B1, F#2, B2, E3, G#3, C#4. To achieve this low tuning, I had to remove one spring on the Lo-TRS tremolo of my Ibanez RG470 and unscrew some centimeters both bolts holding the tremolo springs. I also had to set up truss rod and intonation as well.

I wanna change the string set to D'Addario Heavy Gauge which gauges go from 6th to 1st as follows: 54, 42, 32, 20, 16, 12

I wanna tune my 6-string guitar the same way my 7-string guitar is tuned from 7th string to 2nd string. The tuning I'd like to get is from 6th to 1st as it follows: A1, E2, A2, D3, G3, B3.

This way I'll get more unity in my performance since I wont have changed positions and tunings between both guitars. I wanna achieve this by using the D'Addario Heavy Gauge set I mentioned above. Is this possible? Will it have the same tension than my 7-string guitar? I ask this because my 6-string guitar is an Ibanez RG470 with LO-TRS tremolo, fully floating, and it'll be kinda tricky to set it up. But since the tuning is more or less the same than my 7-string except for the 1st string added tension on the 7-string guitar, I asume the setup in my 6-string guitar should be the same as in normal tuning using normal gauges.

I hope someone can give me his oppinion before going through a lot of mess with it. I posted it here because I think it's the right place and I don't wanna bother people by posting this in an independent thread.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

')