JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
^ Via their official facebook

Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb

Next time don't ask such stupid fucking questions, JLP2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Almost all of Algarothsyum's music is in D standard. So now that I'm slinging a 7, I'm playing in A standard. Sounds killer. For the songs already written and recorded, I just use the low A for some extra testicular emphasis in appropriate places. But you can bet your ass the new material will be 7-string worthy.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Can someone talk me through tuning alternate fourths and fifths? like EAEAEA. what is this kind of tuning called?

I am tuning my 5 string bass like this but G#D#G#D#G#. What exercises can I do to learn this well? any songs that I could try? I hear this kind of tuning was good for tapping. Any information would be appreciated really.

Pfalz

Reaction score
Can someone talk me through tuning alternate fourths and fifths? like EAEAEA. what is this kind of tuning called?

I am tuning my 5 string bass like this but G#D#G#D#G#. What exercises can I do to learn this well? any songs that I could try? I hear this kind of tuning was good for tapping. Any information would be appreciated really.
That tuning is the same interval-wise as Open-C on a 5-string bass, but I don't think there's a name for the one you're using, maybe Open-G#? The deepest 3 strings are in the same tuning as Drop G#, so you could learn stuff in that tuning and transpose on the highest 2 strings. However if you want to keep the same intervals, Devin Townsend plays in Open-B and Open-C. I can't think of any other metal bands playing in this tuning though.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
That tuning is the same interval-wise as Open-C on a 5-string bass, but I don't think there's a name for the one you're using, maybe Open-G#? The deepest 3 strings are in the same tuning as Drop G#, so you could learn stuff in that tuning and transpose on the highest 2 strings. However if you want to keep the same intervals, Devin Townsend plays in Open-B and Open-C. I can't think of any other metal bands playing in this tuning though.

alright, cheers :)
any non metal bands that use these open tunings?

Pfalz

Reaction score
alright, cheers :)
any non metal bands that use these open tunings?
It's mainly an acoustic guitar tuning. There's a lot of blues/bluegrass that do, but I'm not sure if the bass retunes as well. Other then that, I don't really know.

Najka

Reaction score
IMG_7943_zps25465679.jpg

I just got this in a fortune cookie

Reaction score
To the guy who asked, with Dropped B gauge, I would definetly recommend a set of 13-62 if you're heavy handed like a lot of the guys here. For a light/mid touch, I say get 11-50/12-54 respectively. I'm fairly heavy handed and I like 10.5-48 for standard tuning, but if i had a different playing approach i would ideally use lighter strings but you know, dig in baby!

I'm presuming you'd like d'addario but Ernie ball do 14-58, 12-56 and 11-54 plus Dunlop have 11-50, 12-54, 13-60 gauge strings. Happy playing \m/

For A tuning, a set of 54's may work, but that's only probable if you have a very light picking hand. For mid picking, get 13-62 or buy the daddario 10.5-48 for a heavy hand, throw out the 10.5, and get a 64/66 as a result, you'll get mega tone >:D

Last edited:

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
After a few weeks, I've decided that I love drop-G, and I'm using it as my go-to tuning. I've been writing new Algarothsyum material in this tuning, and I'm also able to play the old songs with ease using it. I love it. All I need is a bit thicker gauge string.

G D G C F A D

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I use 3 tunings for writing:
Open Bb: Bb-F-Bb-F-Bb-D
Open C: C-G-C-G-C-E
Perfect 5ths: F-C-G-D-A-E

My bass is tuned:
Bb-F-Bb-D-F

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
B Ab Db Gb Ab Db. DADGAD dropped a half step with the low string dropped a further whole step.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
A couple I've stumbled across that I thought I'd share, may be of use to some?

FAC#FAC# - yep, all in major thirds. Throws up some interesting possibilities, and means that the minor pentatonic has a serious whole-tone flavour to it, which I really like (LOVE that scale)...

Also, CGCGCD - similar to open C but again, opens up some new possibilities that I really like. I think it's open Csus2.

Reaction score
So has anyone else tuned there low 8 string up instead?

example: I tune a half step down, but I take the 8th up to G flat instead of F

I find this fits my playing better, and somehow makes me feel a bit more creative

XD

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
So has anyone else tuned there low 8 string up instead?

example: I tune a half step down, but I take the 8th up to G flat instead of F

I find this fits my playing better, and somehow makes me feel a bit more creative

XD

My main tuning for my 8 is FADGCFAD. Is that what you mean?

indignat0r

Reaction score
My 7-string tuning: GDGCFAD (I used to tune AEADGBE, until 5 years ago)
8-string: EBEADGBE. I've only recently acquired an 8 but have been dreaming about it for years.
6-string: I tune drop C, even on my acoustic guitars.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Started playing around with dropping my 5th string a tone, meaning my 6 is in EGDGBE and my 8 is in FADFCFAD, which are both really nice to play in.

')