RedDog22

Reaction score
Saw a tab posted for Morbid Angel's "God of Emptiness" and it was done w/ this tuning:

A#
D#
G#
C#
F#
A#
D#

Looked for that tuning on one site and they had 10+ tunings listed but I didn't see that one. Anyone know what the name of this tunong is/if its widely used or just by this particular tabber (sic)?

***edit- I found it on the first page of this thread further down :eek: Bb/A#

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
Saw a tab posted for Morbid Angel's "God of Emptiness" and it was done w/ this tuning:

A#
D#
G#
C#
F#
A#
D#

Looked for that tuning on one site and they had 10+ tunings listed but I didn't see that one. Anyone know what the name of this tunong is/if its widely used or just by this particular tabber (sic)?
A# Standard

RedDog22

Reaction score
A# Standard

Thanks. Saw that cross-posted from UG. Ironically, that's where I got the tab. I think I might need another guitar for all these tunings but I already have a 6 & 7 string electric. Thinking about getting an acoustic for at least one alternate tuning like Open G.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Current 6 string tunings:
-Drop C
-Drop B
-Drop A#

Current 7 string tunings:
-Drop A
-Drop G

I use a Whammy DT to shift certain guitars down when I want the sound of a particular guitar for a different tuning, so I've been considering using the 7 string I have in G for an experimental tuning I thought of and keeping the other in drop A (or drop whatever with the DT)

The experimental tuning I've thought of using is C F A D G B E, so standard on a 7 string with the two lowest strings tuned up a half step. I thought of this while searching for string sets and I realized that the D'addario 7 string regular set (10-59) ends up being exactly what I like tension-wise with this tuning. I haven't tried it yet, but I think the different intervals on the bottom end could be helpful with writing while keeping the higher register "normal" for leads and smaller chords.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Been playing around lately with Open D-minor (D-A-D-F-A-D) on my 6's. The bottom three strings can be used for Drop-D power chords, the top are the same as D-standard. And when you strum all six you've got instant black metal minor chords with just one finger barred across.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
Current favorite tuning: C-G-C-G-A#-D

This is a little demo track I did using that tuning.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/mrbrown2025/colors[/SC]

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
My uncle got me some strings for Christmas, two D'Addario 11-49 sets and one 10-46. So I decided to put my Epi Les Paul in a bizarre tuning.

C2-C3-F2-F3-C4-C4. Sort a Sonic Youth-esque drone tuning. I took an 11-49 set and switched the A and D strings with each other, put an extra 11 in place of the B string and tuned it all up. Could perhaps use a little more tension on a 24.75" but its no big deal. I'll try 12-52s next time.

I REALLY like this tuning. It gives you access to all kinds of cool inverted power chords and unison drones like a 12-string. Its very easy to get the hang of and is the most useful one of these weird alternate tunings I've come across.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
I just started trying perfect fourths and perfect fourths drop tuned

F4 C4 G3 D3 A2 E2
and
F4 C4 G3 D3 A2 D2

With the addition of the low open power chord I especially enjoy it tuned down to B. :hbang:

D4 A3 E3 B2 F2# B1

First things I've noticed about these tunings:

1. Three finger scale patterns are made much more beautifully symmetrical and require less left hand travel.

2. In all fourths my open chords were effed, due mostly to the m9 intervallic relationship between strings 1 and 6. This made it impossible to comfortably regain the most of the familiar open string voicings.

3. Picking out 7th chords with extensions (away from the nut) was much easier due to all the patterns being the same, and due to those higher extensions being a fret closer to my left hand.

4. In the drop tuned version of this tuning, the 2nd string has a m7 intervallic relationship with the 6th, rather than a M6. This significantly improved my open chord voicing possibilities. I know that a M6 there would be more useful if I regularly played in more keys and in a wider variety of modes :lol:, but for vanilla minor-scale-and-the-tonic-is-the-open-bottom-string type metal playing, the m7 is much more handy.

5. These tunings offer some cool variation but they will never completely replace standard and normal dropped tunings for me because I make quite a bit of use of the major third to get smaller intervals in my chords and for dissonant double stop riffs or slurs in my melodic riffs and lead playing.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I just started trying perfect fourths and perfect fourths drop tuned

F4 C4 G3 D3 A2 E2
and
F4 C4 G3 D3 A2 D2

With the addition of the low open power chord I especially enjoy it tuned down to B. :hbang:

D4 A3 E3 B2 F2# B1

Ha..I actually just came here to post that I've gotten hooked on the drop-tuned perfect fourths too. I've got my main axe in Db-Ab-Db-Gb-B-E so I can get by with the same strings I use for E-standard.

Chords definitely get weird in it but scales are sooo much more conveniently organized. For most metal its fine because you can just do 5th chords on the bottom strings.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
This is gonna sound stupid, but my 7 string is tuned from low to high G# D G# D G# Ab A D

It sounds...incredibly unconventional, I don't know if a tuning could ever be "stupid", though. Although I don't know why you'd include both sharps and flats in your note names.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
It sounds...incredibly unconventional, I don't know if a tuning could ever be "stupid", though. Although I don't know why you'd include both sharps and flats in your note names.

That and his seven string has eight strings ;)

mrjones_ass

Reaction score
I am considering tuning my 7 up to an C. Anybody tried this? Mostly worried about what will happen with the high e (f). Snap easily?

Contagion

Reaction score
My Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-1 FR is in Drop C (strings 11-56). My Les Paul is in Drop A (strings 13-64). Agile Interceptor 7 string is one step under standard. (strings 13-67) Schecter Hellraiser 8 string is standard or half a step down to F (strings 13-80).

')