The status of your local music scene

• Thread starter ugg im kyle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Toronto has a totally fresh and amazing international music scene. I don't really care about seeing metal bands live, so I don't know much about the metal scene.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
In my immediate area, there isn't too much to scream about. For years it was a punk/hardcore scene and then after some venues got shut down to people literally killing each other, the scene is kinda dying. For the best music, you'd be better off checking out the hollywood circut. More diversity down there and bands like world war 4 are great. Not to mention an occasional famous band or 2 that hits up the L.A. area.

There is a good venue out in palmdale where bands like Suffocation/whitechapel/decrepit birth/cattle decapitation/plus more I don't even remember play at. So I still have hope for bands out here. My main beef is with people not having enough heart/being too damn flaky. I think once that type of musical cancer goes into remission, this scene will come back.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
new york has been drowning in scene kids since the late 90's before that there was a killer killer scene. Now its a bunch of fake ass Hot Topic-core twihards.

i dont want to get into it....makes me so sad.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
NY isn't that bad depending on what "scene" you're referring to. The overall music scene in New York is always booming with new and innovative artists, such as kaki king and kelli rudick for example. LOTS of progressive/indie rock artists in the Brooklyn area... it's slowly being granola territory which I think is pretty fucking awesome lol.

As far as metal goes, NJ/NY wise you've got Mutiny Within, Hung, With Daggers Drawn, Up in Arms and loads of other quality bands.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
I have to deal with the Los Angeles scene, that should speak for itself.

But to be more blunt:
Imagine what the LA scene is like. Now, whatever you thought... the reality is worse.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only two bands here worth their salt are Agalloch, and my band, The Surfacing... and since we probably won't finish our album until 2012, the only band here is Agalloch... :lol:

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
NY isn't that bad depending on what "scene" you're referring to. The overall music scene in New York is always booming with new and innovative artists, such as kaki king and kelli rudick for example. LOTS of progressive/indie rock artists in the Brooklyn area... it's slowly being granola territory which I think is pretty fucking awesome lol.

As far as metal goes, NJ/NY wise you've got Mutiny Within, Hung, With Daggers Drawn, Up in Arms and loads of other quality bands.

ahh brooklyner...
i suppose i should be more specific. There are good acts out there. The scene i mainly referred to was the punk/hardcore scene and even the Ska stuff too. Then the emocore plague struck, killing off so much of the awesome. there are still some bands that are just impossible to kill (Bouncing Souls!). In terms of metal i have no idea.

I just remember New York being this petri dish for awesome stuff to grow in. Now you get so many out of state "mommy's credit card" kids that its just kind of annoying....at least to me. i know not all share my opinions. Just seems like its clotted up with kids trying to copy MTV grade rock its just frustrating.

Look at my IRONIC MUSTACHE!

ah well. Playing in Korea has been pretty awesome actually, and we are gonna head over to Japan and hopefully Taiwan and play shows. They have some killer bands there

Chthonic anyone? awesome group.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
I've lived in the bay area for about 7 months or so. When I browse craigs, it's usually pretty dissapointing. The djent thing is growing at an alarming rate out here. There are no shortage of sweepcore/tapcore bands, and the guys that go out of their way to prove that they are indeed "true metal" are usually even worse.

I love heavy music, but I fucking hate most of the people involved in it.

hahaha that goes for a lot of things. :agreed::yesway:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only two bands here worth their salt are Agalloch, and my band, The Surfacing... and since we probably won't finish our album until 2012, the only band here is Agalloch... :lol:

Agalloch is AMAZING:agreed:
Ashes Against the Grain is some of the best metal to have come out of America in the 00s IMO

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're talking about music as a whole, the Melbourne scene is not too bad I guess.
For metal, I mean, is metal popular anywhere? Metal is always a genre that will remain largely unpopular, no matter where you are in the world.

I don't really listen to metal as much as I used to , so I enjoy a lot of the artists from many genres coming out of Melbourne.
A lot of venues have closed down, but Melbourne is still a fairly significant place for art and culture in Australia

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Dude, the scene here is dead /:
There's like ONE good band (awesome progressive death metal group called Ageless), and everything else is some half-assed metalcore band that sounds more like a guy choking on a cock than someone growling or screaming, while three other guys flail over their instruments like they're playing Rock Band. It fucking sucks.

Reaction score
Dude, the scene here is dead /:
There's like ONE good band (awesome progressive death metal group called Ageless), and everything else is some half-assed metalcore band that sounds more like a guy choking on a cock than someone growling or screaming, while three other guys flail over their instruments like they're playing Rock Band. It fucking sucks.

Where are you at in Illinois? I knew a couple of people down there, like two hours from chicago.

Axel

Reaction score
Miami is not so great. We've been plagued with venues constantly closing.
There are hardly ever any good bands coming down to Miami period so you pretty much have to hope that they come to Ft. Lauderdale (which is 45min-1hour away), or make the drive to Orlando or Tampa.

Miami has one decent venue that accepts metal and has a decent size stage. Most other places are a disaster to play at - tiny stage, terrible acoustics, crappy PA or no PA at all etc

Ft. Lauderdale is only slightly better. There are 2 good venues that draw down national acts but it's almost impossible for a local band to land a show at either venue. So they're stuck playing at horrible sports bars.

About 2 years ago there were lots of local shows happening but few people come out to them and the quality of the bands weren't the greatest so you can't blame the lack of supporters entirely.

Bands do have a responsibility to practice and work on their sound and songs and be a little more presentable and tight. Even if it's not a persons cup of tea (stylewise), chances are they won't walk out and miss the other bands if they at least somehow keep it together.

So yea I guess that's my biggest gripe about the local scene. Very few "professional" local bands, or at least attempting to be professional.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
In Johannesburg, there is NO scene for metal music. For the most part, there are quite a few rap/hip-hop acts (this is Africa remember), quite a few random, limp-wristed alternative bands, and some ska acts.

I don't even think we've even seen a real metal band here in decades. Nile was supposed to come here in 2008 but the local promoters were so shitty that they cancelled. My area is also DROWNING in scene kids who all feel the need to have stupid emo fringes and wear their 12-year-old anorexic sister's yellow jeans.

Quite a few venues have been closing down but the few that remain in the wealthier areas host mainly rubbish indie acts and quite a bit of that screamo/emo bullshit, so it isn't looking to good.

There are quite a few decent jazz acts that are out there, and there is one very cool gypsy jazz group around here as well, but that pretty much is it.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Long Island has pretty much every good guitar player ever, and Suffocation.

As far as locals, we have Painted in Exile, and the up-and-comming Serrated Skies, with a new demo on the way /shamelessplug.

jesusandtori

whos nuts?deez nutz!
Reaction score
Long Island has pretty much every good guitar player ever, and Suffocation.

As far as locals, we have Painted in Exile, and the up-and-comming Serrated Skies, with a new demo on the way /shamelessplug.

and also stray from the path, not sure your feeling's on them, but they kill

')