The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
For anyone who's on the (loooong) .strandberg* waiting list, here's the place to talk about your ideas for spec, but it'd also be cool if people could keep us all posted on progress of their order. It'd be cool if people let us know about their experience as they go through the process and that sort of thing too.

I for one am pretty recent on the list (a few days :lol:), but here are a few of my ideas. I'm really into stripped down, very straightforward guitars at the moment, I'm rebelling slightly against PRS-like uber quilt tops in purple with gold hardware and the like. I want:
Swamp Ash body
6 string
25-25.5"
Maple neck thru
hardtail
Black hardware
DiMarzio Humbuckers (I love the idea of the Lace pickups and stuff but realistically a DiMarzio set would suit me better)

Topwise, I'll either leave it as is, Maple with Swamp Ash wings exposed, but more likely go for a natural flamed maple with a satin finish, I think natural satin maple looks great with black hardware.

I'm on the Decibel waiting list too, and will probably get one in a similar spec but no neck thru and I'll plum for a hannes bridge.

Let's hear from you folks!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm on the waiting list for a 7. It will be a loooooong time from now

That said I have some unique ideas for this one (well unique from the other Strandbergs so far), just waiting on some more feedback from Ola on an idea I had. Then I will promptly try to forget about it again until my name comes up on the list :lol:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
:lol:

I tried forgetting but every day I pick my computer up, come on here and go straight to the .stranberg* threads, haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how long is that waiting list now? I'm tempted to throw myself on it, but I'm wondering if I'd be in my late 20's by the time it happens. :lol:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I was quoted 'up to two years but potentially much less' by ola a few days ago.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I was quoted 'up to two years but potentially much less' by ola a few days ago.

Mother of god...the deposit is due upon signing up I'd imagine? Because that kinda makes me want to get on it ASAP

And :cheers: on the Decibel waiting list, I'm number 89. ;_______;

EDIT: Nevermind I can read, I'm signing my happy ass up.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, the waiting list is to place a build order. I was told 18-24 months before a deposit would be due.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
To not derail the thread further...I kinda quickly thought up some specs for it. They'll definitely change within the next year. A lot. :rofl:

Body: Swamp Ash
Top: Wenge
Neck: 5 Pc Maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple
Fretboard: Maple, 24 frets
Bolt on
Pups: Lace Alumitones
8 string
Scale: 27.5-25.5
Probably black hardware, maybe gold.

Unsure on that trapezoidal profile thing though. Anyone gotten to try one?

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I talked to Ola in July. I'm #25 on his build list. Rough expected delivery in March of 2012.

Specs -
7 strings.
Neck through.
Swamp Ash body, chambered.
Wenge top.
Rosewood neck.
Either trapezoidal or an intersecting plane neck profile. Leaning to IPN after a couple of styrofoam mock ups.
Ebony fretboard.
24 stainless frets.
something like a 25.5" to 24.5" scale
Black hardware.

Hopefully q-tuners will be in production again, and if so, a pair will be going in this guitar. not sure otherwise.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I talked to Ola in July. I'm #25 on his build list. Rough expected delivery in March of 2012.

Specs -
7 strings.
Neck through.
Swamp Ash body, chambered.
Wenge top.
Rosewood neck.
Either trapezoidal or an intersecting plane neck profile. Leaning to IPN after a couple of styrofoam mock ups.
Ebony fretboard.
24 stainless frets.
something like a 25.5" to 24.5" scale
Black hardware.

Hopefully q-tuners will be in production again, and if so, a pair will be going in this guitar. not sure otherwise.

You.

Where the fuck. Do you get all of your money. For these builds. I've seen pics of the wood you're going to use on your Decibel, and I just have to say. Holy fuck.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My build is slated to start just before elq's is to be completed, in February of 2012.

While I have hammered out much of the spec's I am waiting on a little more input from Ola. As I've stated before, I REALLY don't want to deviate from much of what makes an EGS an EGS. Also, five months is a long time, so who knows what specs I'll change.

Another factor is what the few wood suppliers that I've talked to (Thanks again Steve!) can get for me. I'm tracking down a few fairly rare pieces, nothing too insane, so that'll really determine a few aspects of the build.

Here are some things that are 99.999999% set in stone:

8-String
Bolt-On Construction
Piezo Bridge
25" Scale on the high side of the fretboard.
Stainless Steel Frets
IPNP-DOWN Neck Profile

I have a lot of things up in the air on this, and I'm really on the edge of my seat to see what some third party contractors and innovators are going to be able to do.

I will say this right now though, I am 100% fine with waiting on a fairly long build time. I'm really hoping to make this guitar special, not just in the range of existing and soon to be completed EGS, but in the sense that it will be a guitar that'll help realize a lot of my aspirations as a player. I am a young man, and have plenty of time on this world.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I had a short thread of photoshopping concepts for my deposit, never posted the final result after tweaking the hues more:

6101645539_9998ed846e_b.jpg

Delivery around July/August.
Spec's are mostly identical to Tosin's, probably with exception of an ebony board, and maybe different pickups (but damn, I like the aesthetic in the photoshop). I'd like to use it more for classical compositions, probably mostly clean, seems like the alumitones are probably well-suited.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as djpharoah (mesh, right?), it'll prolly be 2 years before my build starts. So specs will be different no doubt, but here's what Im on right now

-28-26.5" fanned 8 string
-maple and wenge neck through, ebony board
-at least the trapezoidal NP, dont know much about the intersecting plane profile yet.
-swamp ash body and myrtlewood top (I'll do some searching for a nice top 'tween here and then)
-We'll just have to see what kind of 8 string pickup is hot on the block by then :lol:

pretty damn excited, and I kinda hope a good many people drop from the list or ola gets a few on staff. two years man 0_o

Latest posts