The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
I happened to be in Shibuya today so I took a look at the Sugi models. Those finishes are seriously impressive in person. Too bad the price tag is insane. They also had some actual Sugi guitars but I didn't think they looked as flashy.

IMG_20180113_153529.jpg

IMG_20180113_153526.jpg

SamuraiShred

Reaction score
Do you guys know if you can bring a Strandberg on a plane as handlugguage? Thanks a lot.
P.S. I tried to search for "Strandberg plane", "Strandberg travel" but I could not find the answer to my question; however I apologise if somebody has already made the same question and got an answer..(but I could not find it!)

Avedas

Reaction score
Do you guys know if you can bring a Strandberg on a plane as handlugguage? Thanks a lot.
P.S. I tried to search for "Strandberg plane", "Strandberg travel" but I could not find the answer to my question; however I apologise if somebody has already made the same question and got an answer..(but I could not find it!)
That'll depend on your airline, but most airlines have special size allowances for instruments and a Strandberg in its case will easily fit into an overhead compartment. Call your airline ahead of time with the dimensions and they'll confirm for you.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Depends who you're flying with. I see you're in Ireland, and my experience has been no with Aer Lingus but yes with EasyJet.

However, one time I brought a much bigger guitar case on as hand luggage with Aer Lingus, but that was flying from America.

jemfloral

Reaction score
Just so we're talking about the same things -- are you saying the other two "private stock" ones with the fade finishes are up on J auction sites? I'd be curious to see links if so (not that I care to buy, just must have missed it). I imagine they were probably $7k-ish new, because if you use the strandberg configurator you see how much they jacked up the prices. It's hard to get a quilt top neck through for < $6k.

I just double-checked, narad, and I was mis-remembering. It was a chinese site, and they're both listed at $11,630.79 (75,000 Chinese). On my phone so I'll have to grab you the links when i get back to a computer. Regardless, you were right... haha

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
I happened to be in Shibuya today so I took a look at the Sugi models. Those finishes are seriously impressive in person. Too bad the price tag is insane. They also had some actual Sugi guitars but I didn't think they looked as flashy.

IMG_20180113_153529.jpg

IMG_20180113_153526.jpg

So freakin jealous. Those look AMAZING.... I have a soft spot for burls.

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Well I guess I didn't end up getting the boden classic that was on GC. Got a call and they said someone purchased it online while I was on the phone with the store and had to cancel my order. Kinda bummed because I really just wanted to try it and see if I liked the futures enough to pick up an original or metal. Hopefully someome here got it.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
It seems the Varberg model was a big flop. I don't see a decent amount of orders in the CS and there is no budget line as well.
And now one of the 2 artists using them as a sig turned Boden.

I wouldn’t say the Varberg has failed; because it hasn’t been given the chance to. Here’s the order of events as I recall:

-Masvidal’s relationship with Steinberger ends
-Masvidal sees Strandberg booth at NAMM
-Ola has Varberg available as a “tonewood sandwich” gimmick alternative to Boden
-Masvidal finds gay cheetah-print Varberg sexier of the two, wants to buy one
-US production line launches with Boden because it’s cheaper/faster to build than Varberg. Varberg remains built-to-order model because money.
-Masvidalien Varberg added to US production line as only model offered with trem to incentivize sales of Varberg for sake of market research
-Korean production line launches with Boden because it’s cheaper/faster to build than Varberg
-Korean production “signature” models can only differ in color/wood because money - Meaning signature Masvidal must be Boden and include pickups Masvidal doesn’t use.
-2017 import line launches with more room for signature spec variation, Masvidal specs not finalized for 2017 NAMM, even though prototype(s) are on display.
-2018 Masvidal import Boden with increased spec freedom made available, Varbergs (including Masvidalien) still built-to-order because money.

So yeah: Fewer expensive models have sold than less-expensive models. Adding a separate Asian production line for Varberg body lamination would require Ola and Ed to visit the factory(s) and train the builders. Neither of them are going to create that much extra overhead for a model that hasn’t proven itself through as many iterations as its cheaper sibling has. I’ll be shocked if an Asian-made Varberg is ever sold without the justification of a preorder list (As they’re wont to do with each yearly SKU expansion).

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
let's be honest. the varberg is essentially a hunk of plywood with no comfort contours, it should realistically be easier to make than the boden. Personally I think it needs a serious redesign since the fret access is pretty terrible, and I can't stand guitars with no belly or forearm contour

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
let's be honest. the varberg is essentially a hunk of plywood with no comfort contours, it should realistically be easier to make than the boden. Personally I think it needs a serious redesign since the fret access is pretty terrible, and I can't stand guitars with no belly or forearm contour

Ola said the sandwich body would need retooling.
Meh. Give a strandberg tele now.

marcwormjim

Reaction score

It’s in a corner where either time and money can be wasted in redesigning it until it’s a Boden, or it’s just retained as the obscure, built-to-order alternative it’s been relegated to being.

Like, the main reason I forwent a Strandberg in favor of a different brand last week is because I already own a Boden. A Varberg, somehow distinguished from all the Boden SKUs for reasons independent of its ice cream sandwich-body and cumbersome corners is something I’d be interested in owning. But even a Washburn Masvidalien with the inferior trem design isn’t as enticing as the current Asian lines.

I can’t blame Ola and Ed for not doing more with a design I can’t come up with a use for.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Varberg dies off completely due to lack of orders.
It's sad, I really liked the idea and the shape. Especially the area around the cable plug is a lot better than on Bodens. In cassical position, the guitar can sit on both legs without any pinching corners or plugs (my biggest issue with the Boden shape btw).

')