The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

makecamera

Reaction score
Get an Original

That's the plan, especially now that I see there is no trem 7 string version offered. Still interested to see if anyone has compared them side to side. $600 is quite a difference. They apparently weigh the same and I love Basswood. I could see grabbing one of these and tossing in your favorite set of pickups if you didn't like the Suhr or Fishman offerings in the original and saving some cash if the sound difference is marginal (or even if the Standard sound was preferred). Also, most of the Standberg tops I've seen are pretty meh, so the veneers might actually look better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
god my old old Korean seven string is like a little box of horrors.

fretting out on the 5th fret of the seventh string now. haven't touched the guitar in months.

all my other guitars are fine.

diiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee

off to the tech you go.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
@makecamera : Is there a difference between the neck profiles for the Original and for the more recent models (Standard, Metal, Prog, Fusion) ? If my memory serves me right, I think there is a difference in neck thickness.

Concerning playing on the beach for long periods, humidity and salt air seem to be natural enemies of wood.

makecamera

Reaction score
@makecamera : Is there a difference between the neck profiles for the Original and for the more recent models (Standard, Metal, Prog, Fusion) ? If my memory serves me right, I think there is a difference in neck thickness.

Concerning playing on the beach for long periods, humidity and salt air seem to be natural enemies of wood.

Hmmm. I'm not aware of any neck differences between models. My understanding is that Ola designed the neck to fit all player preferences (we know that's not true based on user feedback), but I think it's supposed to be a "one profile fits all" sort of thing. At least I can't find any mention of differences on their website (aside from the obvious differences as you go from 6, to 7, to 8 string).

I'm aware that extreme heat, humidity, and direct sun exposure isn't good for guitars. It was a half-joking question. I've taken my Little Martin acoustic into extreme conditions for several days at a time (including 110 degree F desert) and it has survived so far. So was more looking for user experience. I imagine if people gig with these they should be fine. I don't intend on leaving it out in the sand for hours on end.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm not aware of any neck differences between models. My understanding is that Ola designed the neck to fit all player preferences (we know that's not true based on user feedback), but I think it's supposed to be a "one profile fits all" sort of thing. At least I can't find any mention of differences on their website (aside from the obvious differences as you go from 6, to 7, to 8 string).

I'm aware that extreme heat, humidity, and direct sun exposure isn't good for guitars. It was a half-joking question. I've taken my Little Martin acoustic into extreme conditions for several days at a time (including 110 degree F desert) and it has survived so far. So was more looking for user experience. I imagine if people gig with these they should be fine. I don't intend on leaving it out in the sand for hours on end.

I've played various Strandbergs and the necks did seem somewhat different in size, but much of that was likely due to the different manufacturers (Washburn, S7G, etc.).

I don't think there is a climate on Earth where humans comfortably habitate that would cause instant, irreparable damage to a guitar. It's the changes in climate that tend to wreak havoc on them.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
@makecamera : I've been told the older models have different neck thickness than the recent production models. See the facebook Strandberg owner's group for testimonials on the topic by people who own different generations of Strandberg guitars. I've only played (and own) recent Prog and Metal models and both have the same neck profile. To my knowledge, the only recent model with thinner neck is the Singularity.

jemfloral

Reaction score
I believe that all the latest models (Metal, Original, Prog, Standard, etc.) have the thinner neck now, but not 100% sure. I feel like i remember a post from strandberg stating that they had updated everything to be consistent sometime in late 2017 or 2018.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I believe that all the latest models (Metal, Original, Prog, Standard, etc.) have the thinner neck now, but not 100% sure. I feel like i remember a post from strandberg stating that they had updated everything to be consistent sometime in late 2017 or 2018.

My understanding: current production models have a thinner neck profile than previous models.

To my knowledge and from all the Singularity model owners I talked to, the current production models all have the same neck (Prog, Metal, Fusion, Salen, Standard, etc.), except for the Singularity, which has a thinner neck profile, i.e. it was sanded to be thinner and have rounder edges. I'll confirm this when (and if) I receive my Singularity and compare it with my Prog 7. Per's next Singularity model will also have a thinner neck profile (see Per's Youtube video on the topic).

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The edges are most definitely rounder. I used to have an original. I can't remember how the thickness compares though. Neither is thick or thin enough to be a bother.

jemfloral

Reaction score
My understanding: current production models have a thinner neck profile than previous models.

To my knowledge and from all the Singularity model owners I talked to, the current production models all have the same neck (Prog, Metal, Fusion, Salen, Standard, etc.), except for the Singularity, which has a thinner neck profile, i.e. it was sanded to be thinner and have rounder edges. I'll confirm this when (and if) I receive my Singularity and compare it with my Prog 7. Per's next Singularity model will also have a thinner neck profile (see Per's Youtube video on the topic).

Interested to hear if your Singularity's neck ends up being significantly thinner than the latest models' necks. My understanding was that the singularity neck profile (i.e. the thinner profile) was the basis for latest models' neck thickness (which was trimmed down from the older models). Perhaps I misinterpreted the information I was hearing though, I am getting older and can't keep up with the... errr... daily(?)... changes in these guitars' specs lol

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I loved the endurneck but hated the thickness! It didn’t feel as thick as it was but a few mills scraped off would be awesome.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size Lace pups came stock in the S7G Boden 8s?

Avedas

Reaction score
Silly question but I don't have my guitar with me at the moment. Do the Boden 6 trem models need a trembucker sized pup in the bridge? I'm thinking to replace my Suhr pups

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Silly question but I don't have my guitar with me at the moment. Do the Boden 6 trem models need a trembucker sized pup in the bridge? I'm thinking to replace my Suhr pups

Yes Trem sizes. But really it doesn’t matter.

bschmidt

chug life
Reaction score
Does Strandberg Japan have a separate Facebook page / website / other socials to follow their stuff? I'm very interested in those J Varbergs a few pages back and I'd love to keep an eye on their other stuff as well. All of the Jbodens that pop up on ebay+reverb look awesome