The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
maybe dumb question, but where does one go to see new Boden J models? Or is there no new production at all, so any "new" model has just not been owned but was made a few years ago?

They are all Japanese dealer exclusives. So either Japan or a Japanese retailer website. There's new production. In fact I think the Japanese factory is actually faster then indo given how out of stock all the American retailers are.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
There's usually 2-3 new ones per week. They show up on digimart.

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm really wanting to buy a Strandberg, since they've always looked like good quality and very ergonomic. What could you people tell me about fretwork and overall quality? I'm looking into the Korean WMI version right now. I see very mixed reviews online. Thanks!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm really wanting to buy a Strandberg, since they've always looked like good quality and very ergonomic. What could you people tell me about fretwork and overall quality? I'm looking into the Korean WMI version right now. I see very mixed reviews online. Thanks!

They're not bad, they're just not as good as the price would suggest. You're definitely paying for the exclusivity of the design and hardware.

Fretwork is okay. Not out of this world, but on par with similar MIK instruments in the $1k range.

Electronics are solid, and hardware is decent in quality.

I've been seeking import-bergs for awhile, as I want a Strandberg, but I'm not ready to go for a J series...yet.

I say grab one and see for yourself. Unless you've strictly been playing high end stuff you probably won't have a problem with what you get. Probably.

Reaction score
They're not bad, they're just not as good as the price would suggest. You're definitely paying for the exclusivity of the design and hardware.

Fretwork is okay. Not out of this world, but on par with similar MIK instruments in the $1k range.

Electronics are solid, and hardware is decent in quality.

I've been seeking import-bergs for awhile, as I want a Strandberg, but I'm not ready to go for a J series...yet.

I say grab one and see for yourself. Unless you've strictly been playing high end stuff you probably won't have a problem with what you get. Probably.
Thanks for the honest answer man! I kinda already thought I would pay quite a premium for the design and gimmick, because honestly they CAN ask the price. I'm used to guitars from all corners of Asia, China to Japan, so I suppose these might be fine then.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
To be fair the fretwork on mine when I had it was on par with my high end guitars. Definitely was better than the other stuff out of WMI I've played. But I'm sure there have been some less than stellar examples too. I like mine but in the end I couldn't deal with the garbage lace pickups and didn't want to go through the hassle of changing them so I moved on from it. But I'd definitely buy another some day. The Plni model comes to mind as one I'd like.

Avedas

Reaction score
Fretwork on mine is great. Not as nice as my j.custom but that's a bit too high of a bar to expect. I haven't gotten along with any of the Indo Strandbergs but I honestly couldn't tell you why. Didn't have the mojo for me, especially compared to the J models (which I've been GASing for for years now).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is probably small fit and finish issues. On an import it's whatever, but for $2500+ these are very minor things to correct at the source. It just makes the builds seem somewhat haphazard. Factory setups have been atrocious as well. If these were flawless they'd be a bargain at any price.

I hate pushing the value aspect, as I'm usually the first to say "buy whatever, be happy", but it's something to consider.

bassisace

Reaction score
Any news on the models from NAMM (Singularity, etc.) and the new pickups? They announced a bunch of stuff, then I didn't hear a peep in terms of dates.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Had the same question. I’ve seen no news.

For 6 strings, how do the necks of Boden originals compare to those of recent production models (metal, prog, fusion, standard, etc.)?

aleclee

Reaction score
Any news on the models from NAMM (Singularity, etc.) and the new pickups? They announced a bunch of stuff, then I didn't hear a peep in terms of dates.
COVID shutdowns affected Strandberg just like every other manufacturing organization. It was mid-year 2019 before last year's NAMM goodies started getting into people's hands. I'd expect a few extra months this year.

jco5055

Reaction score
Got to try the Alex Machacek sig today. My thoughts overall is it's a good guitar, great even, just not a "omg I need it Strandberg is IT" the way the fanboys hype it up.

I think I prefer larger radii on guitars, as I also tried a PRS semi-hollow Custom 24 and although I overall liked that guitar more, bending was a lot harder than on the Strandberg, which I believe is a 10 vs 20...so doesn't need to be 20 but definitely not a fan of 10.

The endurneck for me was also a "meh", like I literally was completely lukewarm with how it felt...like if every guitar ever had an Endurneck I wouldn't care but also wouldn't care if they ceased to exist haha. I do have big hands so no idea if that means I somehow don't get the benefits as much especially for big stretches etc.

Also I feel like the bolt on heel is too high up, or maybe I got too used to my Aristides with virtually no heel at all as when i tried bending at like the 22-24th frets I had my thumb off the neck and on the heel...I could also do it while on the neck but it didn't feel as natural to me.

Overall everything else was good, definitely seems like my guitar center did not get a lemon/I think I'd have complete confidence in an Indo guitar if I bought that guitar.

Avedas

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Custom shop models and/or J Bodens have the thicker neck profile of similar to the OS line or the thinner neck of the newer models, such as the Standard?
J Bodens have the thicker neck. Dunno about custom shop.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Got to try the Alex Machacek sig today. My thoughts overall is it's a good guitar, great even, just not a "omg I need it Strandberg is IT" the way the fanboys hype it up.

I think I prefer larger radii on guitars, as I also tried a PRS semi-hollow Custom 24 and although I overall liked that guitar more, bending was a lot harder than on the Strandberg, which I believe is a 10 vs 20...so doesn't need to be 20 but definitely not a fan of 10.

The endurneck for me was also a "meh", like I literally was completely lukewarm with how it felt...like if every guitar ever had an Endurneck I wouldn't care but also wouldn't care if they ceased to exist haha. I do have big hands so no idea if that means I somehow don't get the benefits as much especially for big stretches etc.

Also I feel like the bolt on heel is too high up, or maybe I got too used to my Aristides with virtually no heel at all as when i tried bending at like the 22-24th frets I had my thumb off the neck and on the heel...I could also do it while on the neck but it didn't feel as natural to me.

Overall everything else was good, definitely seems like my guitar center did not get a lemon/I think I'd have complete confidence in an Indo guitar if I bought that guitar.

Detail: afaik all Strandbergs have 20’’ radius, including Machacek’s signature.

Latest posts

')