The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TBF_Seb

Reaction score
Its not cheap at all. Its made in Korea. I hate to say it but Im not quite sure Ive ever seen a Korean guitar so expensive

Aren't the Strandberg hardware and the Lace PUs several hundred bucks already? Just thinking out loud.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Aren't the Strandberg hardware and the Lace PUs several hundred bucks already? Just thinking out loud.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, my experience with Korean guitars has been that the build quality was OK, but the hardware was usually on the cheap side. With this hardware the only thing I'd think that could suffer (based on my limited experience with Korean guitars) is fretwork. And the Korean builds I've played have not had bad fretwork as it is.

So the price may be high for Korean guitar, but where else are you going to get a strandberg style headless for this price? There just isn't really any headless ergonomic alternative.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
Let's look at it this way: Who can possibly build a better strandberg at $1600 at the consistentcy and speed that this factory can? My money's on the factory outlasting their predecessors.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
it may be expensive for a korean guitar, but its the only way alot of people, including myself, will ever be able to get their hands on a boden. if they ever roll through sweetwater i'll probably be ordering one immediately

Zhysick

Reaction score
OK... A korean made Strandberg with original Ola hardware is expensive for 1350€ but a Schecter for 1000€ with "massive made" hardware (Hipshot bridge as a max of quality) is not expensive?

Although I have to say that, for example, a Schecter Hybrid C8 in Europe costs about 1200€ so 150€ plus for a fanned fret, headless, better hardware quality and made in the same place (South Korea) it is fvcking cheap...

I mean... I payed 950€ for my Agile Pendulum with the case, shipping, TAX, etc. and came with "white brand" hardware and cepheus pickups and all that...

EDIT:

Oh, sorry... I committed a mistake... list price for a Schecter Hybrid C-8 is 1650€...
http://www.thomann.de/es/schecter_hellraiser_hybrid_c_8_tbb_2014.htm
And look at the tuners... locking, yeah, but Schecter brand... no Hipshot there, only the bridge and EMG pickups...

The same Schecter in the USA:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...-electric-guitar?rNtt=schecter hybrid&index=4
Just 100$ less for its list price than this "korea-berg"...

Expensive? Really?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Two words: Ibanez Premium.

€1350 is nothing like a ridiculous as it first seems for a Korean guitar...

Prophetable

Prophet For Profit
Reaction score
My korean Dean custom run VMNT is my nicest guitar. I don't really care where it's made, I care how it turns out.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Im surprised they are putting such thick maple caps on these. It must be cheaper to get cheap figured maple over there than Swamp Ash.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
a while back, Ola mentioned having things in development to help meet demand and speed up overall progress. I hope the Boden OS line doesn't spell the end for Washberg production. If anything it should soak up general demand and possibly free up Washburn to take on some of the M2M backlog --or at least make neck-through/semi-custom washbergs more feasible.

I could realistically see the Boden OS price-point dropping closer to $1k, maybe even lower once they start selling well. The key to cost savings in manufacturing, especially machining, is bulk quantity. I'd hazard a guess that Ola's proprietary hardware is still milled in small-ish quantities (less than 300 units or so) in Sweden. Also, not everyone digs alumatones. It wouldn't be criminal if more ubiquitous pups were used, imo. Plain tops, solid finishes and Seymour Duncans should help. I'm glad the OS necks still incorporate carbon fiber lams, however.:yesway:

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
If anything it should soak up general demand and possibly free up Washburn to take on some of the M2M backlog --or at least make neck-through/semi-custom washbergs more feasible.

I HIGHLY doubt Ola wants to dilute the exclusivity of the made to measure models by subcontracting it out to washburn. I believe hes trying to free up/shorten the mtm list.

That being said, who else is in the next batch of MTMs? I sure hope #67 is next.

Mwoit

Reaction score
IMG_0814_1920x1280.jpg

Woo.

MrTeatime

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask but...
I'm considering building my own strandberg guitar, I already bought an EndurNeck licence and everything, I should start building the guitar in february.
I've never seen or tried an EndurNeck but I have access to a CNC machine from time to time. The goal is to build the neck with handtools but to have a CNC'ed neck for reference.
I'm building a 7 strings guitar, should I just give the 7 string .dxf file I've got with the EnduNeck licence and have it "carved" just like that or are there any adjustement to do before?
I can also have the body template CNC'ed but there's only a 6 strings version available on Ola's site, I've tried to contact him to get a 7 strings version if possible but didn't get any answer yet, so does anyone know where to get a 7 strings version please?
Thanks!

foreright

Reaction score
I'm building a 7 strings guitar, should I just give the 7 string .dxf file I've got with the EnduNeck licence and have it "carved" just like that or are there any adjustement to do before?
I can also have the body template CNC'ed but there's only a 6 strings version available on Ola's site, I've tried to contact him to get a 7 strings version if possible but didn't get any answer yet, so does anyone know where to get a 7 strings version please?
Thanks!

Hi, the files you get with the licence include "stl" files which are the 3D CAD files. If the nut / heel dimensions and scale length of the 7 string model match your requirements then I see no reason why you couldn't use this to generate the g-code / whatever you require for the CNC.

When I built my 7-string, I used the 6-string body outline that's on Ola's site but modified the cutaways slightly (to fit the width of the 7-string neck) and had to also change the rear of the body (where the tuners are) as I had a wider fan. The changes are fairly trivial to make I think...

MrTeatime

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
I'm thinking of a 27"-25" scale, what's the scale of the provided files?
I'm thinking of a making a neckthrought version so the heel isn't really a problem as I'll improvise a bit for that part. I mostly need a profile exemple as I don't want to bee shooting in the dark when shaping the neck.
I thought the 7 strings body would be a bit wider than the 6 strings one, if not I should be fine...
Did you make a thread about your own build?

asfeir

Reaction score
I really like how the figuring of the pme is on one side of the fretboard!

')