The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Silly guitar with a silly price tag but it's preorders so they can't lose money.

Jacob Collier was the worst live artist I have ever seen.
Huh I'm curious why it was so bad. I've always found his music really kooky and I find the timbre of his voice atrocious, but I've always attributed that to personal taste.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Huh I'm curious why it was so bad. I've always found his music really kooky and I find the timbre of his voice atrocious, but I've always attributed that to personal taste.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the music. The issue is that every time a you were getting into the groove he'd stop the song to do a little solo. Just killing all the energy constantly and it got really tiring really quickly. I like some of his music, that's why I went, and the performance was perfectly competent, it was just tasteless and masturbatory.

And everything went on for too long. Like he'd get the audience to cheer and he'd tune them to a chord, which was fun the first time time, but by the fifth time not so much. He played Blackbird by the Beatles on a keyboard that was live sampling and pitching his voice out whatever. But this lasted about 10 minutes by itself.

This show was in London and he got out some pretty big guests on stage that had done features. Stormzy was there for example, though idk if Stormzy is known outside of the UK.

Additionally it was the least friendly audience I've ever been in. Everyone was just really inconsiderate, shoving past without any tact. My friend got a whole beer over her and was knocked to the floor and nobody stopped to help.

In the previous two weeks I'd seen Meshuggah, Vai and Sungazer and they were all more danceable and less selfindulgent. Vai had a cgi video of his own conception.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the music. The issue is that every time a you were getting into the groove he'd stop the song to do a little solo. Just killing all the energy constantly and it got really tiring really quickly. I like some of his music, that's why I went, and the performance was perfectly competent, it was just tasteless and masturbatory.

And everything went on for too long. Like he'd get the audience to cheer and he'd tune them to a chord, which was fun the first time time, but by the fifth time not so much. He played Blackbird by the Beatles on a keyboard that was live sampling and pitching his voice out whatever. But this lasted about 10 minutes by itself.

This show was in London and he got out some pretty big guests on stage that had done features. Stormzy was there for example, though idk if Stormzy is known outside of the UK.

Additionally it was the least friendly audience I've ever been in. Everyone was just really inconsiderate, shoving past without any tact. My friend got a whole beer over her and was knocked to the floor and nobody stopped to help.

In the previous two weeks I'd seen Meshuggah, Vai and Sungazer and they were all more danceable and less selfindulgent. Vai had a cgi video of his own conception.
Yikes, yeah, that's what his stuff has always struck me as. Admittedly, I have never really sat down to listen to his music. I have only ever watched YouTube videos of parts of performances, interviews, and the odd a capella songs he's put on YT. I don't feel like I know his music as much as I do his talent, because I guess he REALLY likes to show people how good he is? Idk.

And yeah, I think the Meshuggah crowd has been my favorite I've been in so far. I was nervous going into it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I felt like people just wanted to "vibe" together and have a good time. I've been to others that resemble more what you describe there. Periphery was a free for all and we had to go to the back towards the end of the show after some unapologetic dickass stomped my girlfriend's toe. It was a competition to see who could be the most obnoxious crowd surfer. Her toe remained swollen for a few days after. Sorry to hear your friend got treated like crap :/ though for some reason it doesn't strike me as surprising for one of his shows? I feel like it's one of those shows where people go to idolize and worship, not so much to listen to the music and support the artist.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yikes, yeah, that's what his stuff has always struck me as. Admittedly, I have never really sat down to listen to his music. I have only ever watched YouTube videos of parts of performances, interviews, and the odd a capella songs he's put on YT. I don't feel like I know his music as much as I do his talent, because I guess he REALLY likes to show people how good he is? Idk.

And yeah, I think the Meshuggah crowd has been my favorite I've been in so far. I was nervous going into it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I felt like people just wanted to "vibe" together and have a good time. I've been to others that resemble more what you describe there. Periphery was a free for all and we had to go to the back towards the end of the show after some unapologetic dickass stomped my girlfriend's toe. It was a competition to see who could be the most obnoxious crowd surfer. Her toe remained swollen for a few days after. Sorry to hear your friend got treated like crap :/ though for some reason it doesn't strike me as surprising for one of his shows? I feel like it's one of those shows where people go to idolize and worship, not so much to listen to the music and support the artist.
I think that since the pandemic concert etiquette has declined. Metal shows seem to be recovering to what I'd consider a normal considerate atmosphere. At Black Dahlia Murder last month a guy lost his wedding ring in the pit and everyone stopped to help find it. That's what most of my metal experiences have been.

But pop shows. My goodness, those people have gone feral. So aggressive and careless, every group of people has serious main character syndrome. Just no regard for anyone else. And I don't know why but the stewards all suck at these shows. In a metal show if anyone is being a dick or getting really sloppy they're tossed straight away. At the pop shows I've been to since the pandemic people getting really messed up and nobody is there to look after them.

I don't know if it's a culture thing or a lack of, but at all the rock/metal/fusion shows I've been to the past few years we've ended up talking to the people around us, having a few drinks and making a few friends. At pop shows, not just JC, the people you chat to in the crown end up elbowing you in the face when their favourite song comes on.

--

All that said, Jacob is a really talented guy. But to quote Terry Bozzio leaving the Vai band "you're not Frank", and Jacob isn't even Steve. Jacob would be a total killer in a Mike Keneally role.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Silly guitar with a silly price tag but it's preorders so they can't lose money.

Jacob Collier was the worst live artist I have ever seen.
I think it's a silly guitar simply because it has Collier's name on it. I'm a bonified Collier hater and I'm not even gonna lie about it.

For what it's worth I started seeing gains in the gym once I started hating that mfer, so...
Agreed, I think it's really cool looking.
And now that you mention it, it would be pretty neat if they did some colorways like an 80s super strat!
With a pickguard please. I think the Boden looks best with a pickguard. Ditto the Salen.

')