The Strings thread

• Thread starter couchguitarplayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What brand do you use for your electric guitars?

• D'addario

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Ernie Ball

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Elixir

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • GHS

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • String Joy

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • DR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
daddario_nyxl1052_guitar_strings.jpg

They work for me. I'm pretty simple, I find what I like and I just go with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
DR Hi Beams and D'addario regular XLs are what tend sound the best to my ears. I used Elixir Nano Webs for a long time, but missed the brightness from the other two. That said, a few years ago, I tried "high end" strings and while most were just overpriced, I really fell in love with Thomastik Infeld Power-Brights. Longest lasting non-coated strings I've tried with great tone and feel. Expensive though. And a real bitch to find single strings to round out a set for an 8 string.

Marked Man

Reaction score
DR Hi Beams and D'addario regular XLs are what tend sound the best to my ears. I used Elixir Nano Webs for a long time, but missed the brightness from the other two. That said, a few years ago, I tried "high end" strings and while most were just overpriced, I really fell in love with Thomastik Infeld Power-Brights. Longest lasting non-coated strings I've tried with great tone and feel. Expensive though. And a real bitch to find single strings to round out a set for an 8 string.

I've played most of the DR family, and the Dime Hi-Voltage are my faves. Too bad they apparently don't make a 7 string set. Otherwise I would try those next time for my 7s....

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I've played most of the DR family, and the Dime Hi-Voltage are my faves. Too bad they apparently don't make a 7 string set. Otherwise I would try those next time for my 7s....

I just got 5 new .009s because the one that came with my new Xl set broke when I was restringing. Looking at some of the new replacements, there seems to be a kink in two. Anyone having troubles with D’Addarios lately?

And yeah, even trying to piece together a custom 8 set from single DRs is not fun. I think now that I cannot find the .068 Thomastik and these D’Addarios being questionable, I may give Curt Mangan a try again. Maybe the stainless steels this time.

Reaction score
D'Addario XLs sets. I've tried several other brands and always gravitated towards D'Addario. I'm also streamlining my sets for .009s. It feels comfortable, sounds good, lasts long, why change?

I've been in the testing arena a few years ago, using flatwounds, heavier gauges, different brands, different sets for different guitars... now I'm normalizing my strings. All my main guitars use the same string set. They're all the same scale length and with the same tuning, it's just a matter of logistics. If I feel it's time for a string change, I just grab a pack in the storage and go. Done. No more thinking that I have to buy this set for that guitar because I'm running out of strings... peace of mind is invaluable.

moonbox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I really like to try new kinds of strings, different gauges, and weird tuning. It's a fun way to play with the instrument. Because of this, I think certain strings fit some of my guitars better than others. Wood, pickups, neck, and other factors change the tone and feel.

That said, I'm a huge fan of round core strings. It's probably all in my head, but I feel like they last longer, feel better, sound better. I prefer either balanced or progressive tension sets depending on the guitar.

I really, really like La Bella strings. Currently I'm using a pack of their 8-string 9's and I just threw away the .74 to get a pretty balanced tension 7-string set. I would probably rather have a hybrid set, so maybe next time I'll try that.

La-Bella-HRS-81-2020.jpg

I also like D'addario XL. Way easier to find and a good default.

If I feel fancy I might buy: NYXL, Optiweb, EB Cobalts, or DR Pure Blues.

LCW

Reaction score
Just tried Elixir Nanoweb. I think I like them a lot but will give it a couple days.

Brightness-wise they seem to fall in between D’addario XLs and XTs. XL felt a bit too bright and the XTs were dark (and also felt stiffer for the same gauge - in this case 10s).

They feel great under the fingers. Never tried Optiwebs but these feel just slick enough without feeling slippery. XTs felt almost sticky despite being a coated string.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Started with D'addario as they came stock on my RG7321. Tried Earnie Ball, Elixir, GHS and Framus before switching back to D'addario (NYXL this time) and stuck with them so far :yesway:
My 7 has been turned into a mod-project during the past few years and is rarely in playable condition, haven't touched anything but 8 strings since then which rather limits choices. But the brightness of the NYXL work perfectly with 8 strings, don't know how feel or sound could be improved on :shrug:
TLTR: Using D'addarios and 100% happy with it.

LCW

Reaction score
Since I like experimenting until I find what I really like, trying the XT’s again (just switching from Elixir Nanoweb). Same gauge.

The XTs don’t feel as good but they have a deeper more dynamic tone of that makes any sense. I had to add a bit of high end vs the Elixirs. But the XTs still sound beefier and even a bit louder. Oh and the XTs stabilize MUCH quicker. Amazing really.

What may make me stick to the XTs is they sound better, but don’t feel better. But also - you can buy XTs in 3 packs making them a bit cheaper. Seems Elixir doesn’t do multipacks. Neither are cheap but any bit helps and if they last longer less hassle.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Broke another High E D’Addario XL. Still can’t see anything on the Ibanez that would be causing the breaks, so I’m stepping away from D’Addarios for a while. Ordered a set of Dunlop 9-65s and so far, I’m actually liking them more than the XLs. Feel maybe a bit more taut and sound brighter in a slight way.

Only three days so far, but I like. Might be my new default until I figure out if the E breaks are my guitar or the strings.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Broke another High E D’Addario XL. Still can’t see anything on the Ibanez that would be causing the breaks, so I’m stepping away from D’Addarios for a while. Ordered a set of Dunlop 9-65s and so far, I’m actually liking them more than the XLs. Feel maybe a bit more taut and sound brighter in a slight way.

Only three days so far, but I like. Might be my new default until I figure out if the E breaks are my guitar or the strings.

NYXLs are some of the toughest strings I've played and could help. I haven't broken a string in years, in part due to my light touch (fretting hand only that is) and I carefully check setup also.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kind of not sure what's going on. I literally hadn't broken a string in nearly a decade, then I had 3 break on me in two months. All were new XLs and the 5 pack of 9s I ordered came with two that had little kinks in them. This last string was one without a kink or blemish.

IF, it is on D'Addario's end, I'm guessing a Covid thing and that it's passing. Like I said, I can't see anything on the guitar to cause it, but if it happens again with Dunlops, that's certainly telling.

I really wish some of the larger Elixir Optiwebs would get back in stock. I really want to give them a try, but cannot find the 52, 54, or 64 anywhere. The six string 9-42s can be had, but I need a low B and F#.

LCW

Reaction score
Yeah I'm kind of not sure what's going on. I literally hadn't broken a string in nearly a decade, then I had 3 break on me in two months. All were new XLs and the 5 pack of 9s I ordered came with two that had little kinks in them. This last string was one without a kink or blemish.

IF, it is on D'Addario's end, I'm guessing a Covid thing and that it's passing. Like I said, I can't see anything on the guitar to cause it, but if it happens again with Dunlops, that's certainly telling.

I really wish some of the larger Elixir Optiwebs would get back in stock. I really want to give them a try, but cannot find the 52, 54, or 64 anywhere. The six string 9-42s can be had, but I need a low B and F#.

XLs are weaker than NYXL or XTs. Did you try any of those before going with the Dunlops?

Ross82

Reaction score
I used EB Slinky's for majority of my playing life before taking a hiatus. Coming back in to serious playing again last year I started using D'addario NYXL/XT's and they are decent, haven't had any string breaks or poor performance though when it gets real hot and humid here and just playing normally leaves you sweating crazy, they do tarnish quick. I'm going to try some Paradigms on my next changes and see how they hold up as a lot of people seem to say they resist finger contamination pretty well and sound the same as regular Slinky's so we shall see.

The biggest thing that pisses me off as others have also said is finding single gauge strings to make a 7 string set. The pre-packed sets never have the bottom string I need so I end up having to either buy an 8 string set and toss one of them or get a 6 set then get a separate single for the 7th and usually cant find a string from the same line, especially coated strings . I really wish the bigger string companies would deal direct to customer and let you order custom sets.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
For acoustic instruments, I’m 100% D’Addario Nickel Bronze. 13-56 on my dreads, 11.5-41 on my mandolins.

I love trying out new stuff on electric guitars, though. Love XL and NYXL, more recently into The String Source. Getting ready to order a couple different Winspear sets for my 8 string.

')