You want TesseracT+Periphery gigs in Europe in 2010?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • I'm just jealous because I don't live in Europe

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
As a HUGE fan of Altered State & previously total hater of Polaris, I wanted to chime in both in regard to their albums and live shows (just saw them in Berkeley a couple nights ago).

Sonder really grew on me. To the point that I went back & re-visited Polaris. Upon doing so, I realized something. Polaris is actually pretty great, save for a couple really horrible tracks that totally ruin it. If Dystopia and Utopia were both removed from the album I would have loved it right off the bat. Kind of like the first minute of King. The first minute is just awful but the rest of the song is SO good! Ugh. This band stresses me out haha.

As for their live show, I was lucky enough to see them perform with Ashe twice and I've gotta say, Ashe is a better live performer. He puts more energy into his vocal performance than his stage performance, which is what it seems Dan prefers to do. Ashe was pretty much flawless live & sang all of the more difficult harmonies. Dan awkwardly runs around all over the place, making lame gestures while singing the easier harmony along with the backing track the whole set. Super lame and boring. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say there's a pretty good chance he lip synced all of the screams during the set, too. It's possible I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but there were for sure a couple moments you could hear a scream loud and clear when the mic was nowhere near his mouth for a brief moment. I know he's been sick, so maybe it was just to help him out in that regard.

All of that aside, I still love the band and because of Sonder, will not pass up Polaris next time I come across it on vinyl.

Geraldo7

Reaction score
we are in the same dilemma in my band.

We are recording our debut release that only has 5 songs (at around the 30 odd min mark), initially it was obvious to us to call it an E.P BUT, the recording/mixing etc is coming out sounding at a standard much higher than anticipated, we now are debating calling it an album instead.

plus "Debut Album" sounds better in marketing. Hmmm. More thinking needed haha

It is not only me, i have seen a video of Ola Englund where he says the same: As a newcomer, do NOT release an album, do not release an EP either, just one song at a time, and watch the reactions on youtube. i would not buy an EP by a newcomer band, except i could stream it on bandcamp first. just my :2c:. Hey Lewis where is your band on youtube? gonna check you out ASAP.

lewis

Reaction score
It is not only me, i have seen a video of Ola Englund where he says the same: As a newcomer, do NOT release an album, do not release an EP either, just one song at a time, and watch the reactions on youtube. i would not buy an EP by a newcomer band, except i could stream it on bandcamp first. just my :2c:. Hey Lewis where is your band on youtube? gonna check you out ASAP.
we are literally "new lineup" mate (working behind the scenes for months), so the first thing on our youtube will be our first single's lyric video when its done.

So atm, there is nothing to show bud. The second there is, as I say, I will share the link.

Geraldo7

Reaction score
As a HUGE fan of Altered State & previously total hater of Polaris, I wanted to chime in both in regard to their albums and live shows (just saw them in Berkeley a couple nights ago).

Sonder really grew on me. To the point that I went back & re-visited Polaris. Upon doing so, I realized something. Polaris is actually pretty great, save for a couple really horrible tracks that totally ruin it. If Dystopia and Utopia were both removed from the album I would have loved it right off the bat. Kind of like the first minute of King. The first minute is just awful but the rest of the song is SO good! Ugh. This band stresses me out haha.

As for their live show, I was lucky enough to see them perform with Ashe twice and I've gotta say, Ashe is a better live performer. He puts more energy into his vocal performance than his stage performance, which is what it seems Dan prefers to do. Ashe was pretty much flawless live & sang all of the more difficult harmonies. Dan awkwardly runs around all over the place, making lame gestures while singing the easier harmony along with the backing track the whole set. Super lame and boring. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say there's a pretty good chance he lip synced all of the screams during the set, too. It's possible I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but there were for sure a couple moments you could hear a scream loud and clear when the mic was nowhere near his mouth for a brief moment. I know he's been sick, so maybe it was just to help him out in that regard.

All of that aside, I still love the band and because of Sonder, will not pass up Polaris next time I come across it on vinyl.

Hey there! Okay you have seen them live. cool. i am going to see them live first time in november. I have to confess that their "Live" show called "Scala" which is on youtube is the most lame live video i have come across in a long time. I prefer to listen to a local band in a local club with 17 other people to this overproduced ..... BS. wtf, really, what is the reason to put out a "live" show and re-record every single note to dead perfection? Or am i totally wrong? Question to you, how do they sound live? Like a real band or a band mimicing to a tape of their own music. I will go the concert anyway, but i am just curious.

On a side note: Call "Sonder" an EP and it is great, it is more of a marketing fault that i am disappointed not the price. I hate "Polaris", but the first two records remain in my top ten of all time --- along with great recordings like "Lamb lies down on broadway" and "Yessongs" which is quite an achievement. As always: :2c:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score

That's too funny. Those are two of my favorite tracks on that album. I would remove "Tourniquet" in a heart beat though.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
That's too funny. Those are two of my favorite tracks on that album. I would remove "Tourniquet" in a heart beat though.
Yeah, it seems like the version of Tesseract with Dan as the vocalist really likes to ride the line between greatness and butt rock / nu-metal. Those two tracks are just too cringe worthy. I just realized Hexes has a real shitty part in the middle of the song, too. Tourniquet, on the other hand, is beautiful imo & represents the more subdued parts of Sonder which I actually really enjoy after a few listens.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like the version of Tesseract with Dan as the vocalist really likes to ride the line between greatness and butt rock / nu-metal. Those two tracks are just too cringe worthy. I just realized Hexes has a real shitty part in the middle of the song, too. Tourniquet, on the other hand, is beautiful imo & represents the more subdued parts of Sonder which I actually really enjoy after a few listens.

hahaha, I don't make the butt-rock connection at all. Tourniquet on the other hand, goes beyond beautiful...to cringe worthy whining. Hexes...there's a beautiful song. Crazy how people see things so differently.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
That's too funny. Those two and Tourniquet are my three favorite tracks on that album.

They put on a great show on the 3rd despite Dan being pretty sick. It was cool seeing all the AAL guys in the audience, too.

Last edited:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

I was a latecomer to Polaris, but it's right up there with Altered State in terms of the band's best work in my opinion. Meanwhile, I'm not a big fan of One (especially the vocals), but lots of folks really seem to like that one.

I guess we all have different visions of what this band should be, haha.

lewis

Reaction score
i personally think after "Fellsilent" fell apart (here they were for reference) -

And Tesseract got formed, they should have kept that awesome level of groove/heaviness.

Its probably why I prefer Monuments over Tesseract because they tried to keep that combo in place where Tesseract hasnt really.

Coryd

Reaction score
I think if they just went back to using the PODxt everything would be groovy again. I blame the Axe Fx and the Kemper :lol:

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
I was a latecomer to Polaris, but it's right up there with Altered State in terms of the band's best work in my opinion. Meanwhile, I'm not a big fan of One (especially the vocals), but lots of folks really seem to like that one.

I guess we all have different visions of what this band should be, haha.
Yeah, I'm super luke-warm on One as well but a lot of people lose their minds over that one haha.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Love Tesseract. Love all their albums. Polaris has always been my favorite album. I just wish it was longer.

')