The Thing (2011)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Yup. Although it's been a while since I saw it, as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's made implicit that The Thing copies it's victims so perfectly that they themselves don't even realise that aren't human any more, which makes for a load of extra creepiness, as a simple case of 'alien pretending to be human and trying not to look out of place' is much less horrifying.

You'd fully believe you were normal until your body turned inside out of it's own accord!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Yup. Although it's been a while since I saw it, as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's made implicit that The Thing copies it's victims so perfectly that they themselves don't even realise that aren't human any more, which makes for a load of extra creepiness, as a simple case of 'alien pretending to be human and trying not to look out of place' is much less horrifying. You'd fully believe you were normal until your body turned inside out of it's own accord!

I'm not so sure. With things like the blood going missing it's possible that The Thing is aware of what it is when it takes over a host. If anything I think that makes it scarier, the fact that it is able to disguise itself as a human...

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Maybe the copies it makes are just 'vehicles' on autopilot, occassionaly steered towards an ultimate goal enabling the creature to reveal itself. I suppose by making a copy and letting that copy do what that person would do normally, you don't run the risk of blowing your cover until last minute. Then you can take full control.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Not all the characters get infected 'spectacularly', and as Blair states, it only takes a cell of it inside you for it to start taking over your whole body. Naturally from a biological point of view, it could take over the whole body except the mind, and the person would perhaps be none the wiser, or even if it had copied over the mind, since it retains that persons memories and knowledge, it could subtly influence the copy of the person who thought they were the human. Not to mention, it's brain is presumably spread through it's biomass, with the most basic components being creatures of instinct (petri dish), and the bigger things being able to build min-spaceship.

In the DVD version it's stated that Norris has a heart condition, it and it seems even though is a Thing, as he's such a perfect copy his heart is still weak and thus suffers an attack. It's only when his body is 'attacked' by a defibrillator that the thing reveals itself.

On the Thing DVD, Charles Hallahan (Norris) points to the scene in which the men appoint MacReady as leader of the group following Windows' attempt to retrieve a shotgun from storage. Norris, who is presumably the Thing at this point, is originally offered the role of leader but declines stating that he doesn't believe he is up for it. Hallahan states that he always believed Norris knew at this point something was wrong with him and declined the offer because of the feeling that he may be the Thing.

There are other characters who presumably get infected subtly like Palmer, possibly Blair, and a popular theory with Fuchs is that he realised he was infected and killed himself, as crisping that lovely biomatter wasn't a very Thing thing to do.

I am slightly influenced by the fan-fic I linked though, as I feel it's a proper fleshing out of the creature's biology and M.O, where as the film is somewhat vague about it all, other than it acts like an animal at times but displays great intelligence at others.

Bobo

Reaction score
Hopefully this is epic, I'm excited fo sho. I just don't wanna see the puppies get it :-/

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Just watched the Carpenter version again last night.

Fucking awesome yet utterly horrifying. Loved it. :D

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
The head that detatched itself and spouts legs was classic.

The characters reaction when they see it scuttling away is priceless.

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
I am now watching the "original" to celebrate this joyous news. :agreed:

My wife and I are about to turn it on:scream: After reading the "Great Wall Of China" text, I am excited as well. The original is on of my favorite horror movies. I love older horror movies when they didn't have cg and it was all puppetry. It is just so much more disgusting and disturbing to me.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I'm super excited for this after reading whats been posted in this thread. The Thing is THEE best horror film ever. This film looks like it will be a fitting addition to the legendary story.

I'll be the first to call that everyone dies and the film ends with the helicopter chasing the dog.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Well some are. The side of one of the trucks has Oslo scientific something something printed on it.

thedonal

Reaction score
I've a little hope for the prequel, even thought like Titanic, you know how it'll end.

I too adore the original (and the old original too!)- it's one of those rare films that seems to disgust me more as I get older!

')