The Tube Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
If you used JJ 6L6GC tubes, you already tried Ruby tubes. Ruby tubes are made by JJ electronics.

no, most of them arent. Ruby DOES have a "CZ"-line (and a seperate "TESLA") in their tubes selection, these are JJs ("CZ" for Czech Republic), the others are from Russian and Chinese factories.

Ruby tubes suffixes:
CZ and TESLA = JJ / ex-Tesla
CB / STR / BHT = Chinese
CC = Cbetlaha (Russia)
R + EH = Reflector Russia (Sovtek + Electro Harmonix)
T = Tungsol

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Engl Powerball-stock
4 6l6gc's in power section
4 12ax7's in pre

What can i do to give a little more warmth to the p-ball? Specifically to make the crunch channel thicker/useable and take a little of the edgy metallicness off the lead.

Are the stock tubes just crap? They seem pretty decent to me.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Budda Superdrive 45

2xKT66
3x12ax7

Originally it had GT power tubes and Sovtek preamp tubes.

12ax7WB in V1 and 12ax7WA's in 2 & 3.

I put some reissue Genelex Gold Lions in the power section and put a Tung Sol 12ax7 Black Sable Gold Pin in V1 and moved the 12ax7WB to V2.

The amp went from JCM900 territory to JVM410 territory. I took it to my friends practice space where he has 2 Randall 100 power amps into 2 4x12s. My 45 watt head on 1 4x12 is just as loud as his 200 watt rig on 2 4x12s.:hbang:

I highly recommend these tubes...

I'm thinking about a JJ 803s Black Sable for the cathode follower position (V2), for more gain on channel 2 since Tung Sols fail a lot in that position.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
amp-2channel dual rec
pre
v1-EH12ax7 gold pin
v2-svetlana 12ax7
v3-EH12ax7eh
v4-GTecc83
v5-rubytubes 12ax7

power
4x shuguang EL34b
2x jjgz34 rectifier tubes

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
UPDATE:
A month or 2 ago I added a JJ ecc83 from eurotubes to the v1 of my B-52 preamp. It really opened up my amp. It's not so bassy anymore. It give more mids to my tone and when plugged into the hi output jack on the clean channel, instant clean SRV tone. It's amazing what a simple $10 upgrade can do.

Ultraworld

Luthier A Holic
Reaction score
I have been using JJ tubes from Bob's Euro tubes for a long time in my 5150 Combo, THD Univalve, Buddha & Carvin amps. Never blown a tube yet. I know a great tech that keeps them running right, he tests every tube & makes sure it's correct for that amp. It means a bit of trial & error sometimes, but I get long tube life. The pre amp tubes last forever.

Reaction score
So I took out the 6550s I was using and put in the KT90s again..OH MY GOD..why the fuck did I take these out in the first place? I think these needed to be burned in for a while to really show off. These things make my DTX roar. HUGE low end, thick low mids, punchy and aggressive and just amazing. I have to scale back the bass on my amp, but it's totally worth it. I don't think I'll ever use another tube again (unless I can find a way to land a quad of KT120s).

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
UPDATE
v1-tungsol gold 12ax7.im on the fench with this tube.
v2-JJ ecc803s gold,again on the fence
v3-shuguang 9th gen
v4- as above
v5-sovtek 12ax7lps.

power is all =C= 34s
still JJGZ34 rect tubes
i now have a fuckton of tubes to try and a few(more like 28) NOS tubes as well.

Reaction score
After YEARS of having it in the PI slot, I retired the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, and put in that Tung Sol gold pin 12AX7 I had zero use for. I originally intended it for the V1 slot in my DTX but I didn't care for it. In the PI slot it gave the amp sharper teeth and the character of the amp isn't as sluggish as before. Not a drastic change in any way, but a nice one. I think I'll keep it there for the time being.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i plan to do that very change too drakk,see how it sounds in a recto.
i got a mullard 14mm short plate from 1954 to try in V1,as well as a few RFTs and a tungsram long black plate.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
umm diezel herbert kt88 sextet electro-harmonix style

and diezel vh4 getting winged c sed 6550 killer style!

all the little 12ax7 jazz i can't remember sorry

Opeth666

Reaction score
Amp: Mesa Boogie Nomad 100
Power: JJ EL34s right now but going to try out some JJ KT88s
Preamp: 12Ax7s, but going to try some JJ ECC83s as well.

Reaction score
Ha..just put the Sovtek back in the V4 slot..I'll stick with that. I guess sometimes "upgrading" isn't the best way to go.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
Mesa Trip-Recto 2 Channel.
SED EL34's x6
JJ 12AX7 Pre amp kit.
Using Diode Rectifiers

Loud as hell, Punchy in the midrange as expected super clean and defined. Got this amp in a trade, already had a mismatched set of EL34's. I like it so much so I decided to stick with them when I re tubed. Went with JJ Pre's because they were super quiet in my old Splawn Quick Rod. No surprises here. If you have a recto, and don't like it, try some EL34's in it. I really thought the difference would be marginal at best.. Wrong.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i swear by =c= EL34s in my recto,and NOS tubes in the pre amp and rec tubes

Reaction score
I put a JJ ECC82 in V2 of my amp to lower the insane gain and open it up a bit. I like what it did but it's a bit too open and crunchy instead of open and slightly less hotter than the normal 12AX7. I just ordered an ECC81(12AT7) as I figure it'll be a middle ground between the two and I'll report on what I think about it. If it goes well I'd like to try one in V4 for the phase inverter. So far the stock Sovtek 12AXTLPS beats everything else for that position but I'm open to try one more thing before just sticking with the Sovtek.

')