The Tube Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paistelakai

Reaction score
I could use a little help as well....currently I have a Peavey xxx, with sovtek 6l6wxts in the power, and ehx 12ax7s in the pre.

the chain is ts9>decimator>xxx>mesa oversized 4x12

I got the amp used, and don't really know if the tubes are bad, not for me, or if the overall amp isn't for me. Basically the tone is just really thin...everything is super tight, (with a ts9), but it seems like all i get is attack for the most part. I was thinking of trying kt77s, but idk if just a diff brand of 6l6 will do the trick. Maybe new pre tubes? Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I got a few original american tubes in my 6505+ now. slyvannia i'm not sure as they're from the 80s, and the orginal words have been rubbed off.

pearl_07

Reaction score
Amp Model:6505+
Power Amp:=C= SED 6L6GC's
Preamp: Tung-Sol/gold pinned JJ in V1 and JJ 12AX7's for the rest(balanced PI JJ in V6)

The Ruby's that were previously in it weren't "bad", but the SED's definitely make this amp even better. I've been playing around with a gold pinned JJ in V1, but I think I like the the Tung-Sol more.

Reaction score
Amp Model:6505+
Power Amp:=C= SED 6L6GC's
Preamp: Tung-Sol/gold pinned JJ in V1 and JJ 12AX7's for the rest(balanced PI JJ in V6)

The Ruby's that were previously in it weren't "bad", but the SED's definitely make this amp even better. I've been playing around with a gold pinned JJ in V1, but I think I like the the Tung-Sol more.

honestly, i totally hated the ruby's in my 6505. the distortion wasn't as warm as i expected, but with the new (or old lol) american tubes, It's almost exactly the tone i wanted.

pearl_07

Reaction score
They weren't as bad as I expected them to be honestly. For ~$50 for a quartet, I wouldn't mind throwing them in if I were in a full time touring band instead of spending over twice as much for a quartet of SED's.
LINK
Here is a really interesting clip comparison of the tubes that shows that the Ruby's aren't as bad as they could be for less than half the price.

sevenstringer37

Reaction score
Adding to the thread, I just picked up a Randall T2 400w head. Threw in three mullard 12ax7's (not nos :( haha) since the stock EH tubes were old and working sporadically. I know the T2s a hybrid amp, but do you guys know of any tube combo that would work better to smooth out the mids, get a bit more growl and sizzle with? I wish I had my Tungsols from my 5150 still, those were pretty good in V1.

Reaction score
Adding to the thread, I just picked up a Randall T2 400w head. Threw in three mullard 12ax7's (not nos :( haha) since the stock EH tubes were old and working sporadically. I know the T2s a hybrid amp, but do you guys know of any tube combo that would work better to smooth out the mids, get a bit more growl and sizzle with? I wish I had my Tungsols from my 5150 still, those were pretty good in V1.

Ah, When you say EH do you mean the electro harmonix?

evolusean13

Reaction score
I need some Tech support.

My 5150 is dying out at the moment, looking to change all the tubes (pre and power). I am interested in the Tung Sol 12AX7's, I hear some nice things. As for the power tubes, i want to get the SED winged C 6L6GCs. I hear amazing things about these tubes, and really want to try them out. I was wondering about the difference between a winged C 6L6 and a regular 6L6. And also, about the difference about the 6L6GC and the regular 6L6. I know that if my amp says 6L6 it is okay to put in 6L6GC because it is a higher output, but I want to know if it is still alright because I'm dying to try these tubes and order them already.

Thanks.

munizfire

Reaction score
Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb Series 2 Solo Head (Basically a Single Rectifier with reverb)

Pre-amp: Stock Mesa 12AX7s

Power: Actually it has 2 SED Winged Cs 6l6 (which I love to death)
I have also used:
JJs E34Ls (mehh)
Svetlana EL34s (love them as hell too)
Groove Tubes 6L6s Blackplate (they were ok)

evolusean13

Reaction score
In addition to my last post.

I've been reading a lot about tubes on here. Everyone is using different preamp tubes in their heads. This opens up a whole range of possibilities for me :shred:

I am now interested in the Mullard 12AX7s. Would these pair well with the Tung-Sols? I was thinking:
V1: gold pinned Tung-sol
V2+V3: Mullard
V4: gold pinned mullard
V5: (reg) Tung-Sol.

What website do you guys go to for tubes? I hear Doug'sTubes is great, as well as Tube Depot.

Thnks!

N1h1l1ty

Reaction score
Just ordered 2 matched pairs of Shuguang EL34-B (Rebranded RubyEL34B-STR) and 4 Shuguang 12AX7-Bs for my JSX. After 3 years of being run at gig volume I suppose I should be giving her a refresher. Hoping for good things ^_^

Reaction score
Amp; Krank Revolution 1 ( 100 watts)

My cab is a Rivera k41213 with Celestion T-75's

I don't have a pre amp :(

col

blah.
Reaction score
Mako Mak2 White, =C= 6550's, preamp V1 NOS RFT V2-V5 JJ ecc83s
Peavey 6505 EHX 6L6GC's, preamp mix of Tungsol and chinese
Engl Powerball TAD 6L6, preamp mix of EHX and chinese

Update, since the PV and Engl are gone.

The Mako still has the same set.

Diezel Herbert:

Power: SED =C= 6550
Pre: V1-4 JJ ecc83s V5-6 Shuguang chinese.

I like how the JJ's sound in the Herbert. The tone is a bit smoother and thicker compared to the chinese (Ruby, TAD) tubes that Diezel suggests to be used with the amp.

cedrac

Reaction score
My amp : LM 100w (all tube russian jcm800 like)
preamp :
v1 : JJ 12ax7
v2 : Svetlana 12ax7 (s logo)
v3 : Sovtek 12ax7wc

amp : 4xEL34 svetlana (s logo)

I think that I tested all the current production...

cabinet : Framus with 2x v30

This set up Can be listened there :hbang:

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I just removed the god awful stock power tubes from my Bugera 333 tonight, And threw in a quad of JJ Kt77's, Biased them, and played on them for a while. Even right off the bat, they sound awesome, They're thick sounding, rich with mids, and have great lows, and smooth highs. They are working great for what I play which is death metal. I also replaced the JJ 12ax7's in the v2 and v4/p.i. position with a JJ 12at7 in v2, and a sovtek 12ax7lps balanced in the v4. It lowered the gain by a lot, and I dont know if I like it yet. It has greater clarity now, but I have to turn the gain up now for what I do. I dont really need the boost anymore, but its more of a tone shapening tool than a low end tightener.
I enjoy it more than my XXX with similar tubes in it.

Bugera 333,
V1: JJ 12ax7, Mid to high gain kind
V2: JJ 12at7, lowers the gain substantially, made it sound thicker.
V3: JJ 12ax7 Mid to high gain kind.
V4: Sovtek 12ax7lps balanced, kind of makes the amp a little sludgier, but much thicker than the high gain 12ax7 that was there before.
V5-V8: JJ KT77's matched quad. awesome sounding power tube.

Peavey XXX
V1: JJ 12ax7 Mid gain kind
V2: JJ 12ax7 Higher gain kind.
V3: JJ cc803s Interesting tube, I like It, Make the amp sound more open I guess.
V4: Balanced JJ 12ax7. Nothing special about it.
V5-V8: JJ EL34 Matched Quad.

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
ADVICE NEEDED

I have a Peavey Ultra 60 that I need to replace the tubes in. I am looking for something that has nice strong mids, crisp highs, and a really tight bottom end that can handle 7 and 8 string tunings. I need a decent amount of gain but also want really awesome cleans. I am not going to say that "d" word but that is what I am looking for. I have no knowledge of tubes so what should I look at getting?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Rackmounted Mesa/Boogie Mark III green stripe.

Pre:

v1: Mesa 12ax7
v2: Groove Tubes 12ax7
v3: RFT 12ax7 NOS
v4: Groove Tubes 12ax7
v5: Mesa 12ax7

Power:

Currently running 4 Mesa 6L6's STR440... only because I can't afford another quad of Winged Cs... those are just too good sounding.

')