The Two types of 7 string players

• Thread starter danenachtrieb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Given seven string guitars have been around since before Jazz existed :lol:

Also, a meaningful bump where somebody adds something is fine. It's the "wow that's cool" or "yes I agree" bumps that get people into trouble ;)
well played!!:agreed: maybe i should have said "the jazz players that help bring sevens into a more mainstream lime light" i see the error of my ways:wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I'm definately a rhythm dude, that really TRIES to learn how to become a lead. :p
But right now, I'm comfortable with my superstrats. But the day Ibanez launches a sevenstring Iceman prestige with a purple finish, I'm selling my guitars for one!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I play everything on my 7's.
to me they are just another guitar.
My BRJ Hesperian is quickly taking over as my new main guitar.
I haven't even touched my 6'ers since it arrived.

thats good to hear; I have been on a 6 string fix lately, but just put a deposit down on a Hesperian 7. Hoping it can become "THE" guitar basically.

For the thread though, I feel I fit more into a category where I love having that extended range of a 7 string, for chord voicings and just better overall fingering around the neck, such as not having to play the first few frets on the low E string, you can play them on 5th position of the B string and move vertically in your scale rather than horizontally.

7 strings are just a great medium of having extra range, but not to the point where you feel overwhelmed/your fingers have difficulties like on an 8 string or + (of course, thats subject to the player, but generally I thnk most people would agree 7 is not a huge transition as an 8 string would be)

followjohndoe

followjohndoe
Reaction score
Mainly a rhythm player; I like to do leads for songs and dabble in solos, but more of the "feel" type, like an Adam Jones solo, rather than shredding. The RG is probably my favorite guitar, not only is the design just kickass, but no one but Ibanez makes production guitars with such thin necks for sevens. I've had some bad experiences with their newer Indonesian stuff, but my 90s mij RG7621 and RG7421 are the best guitars I've ever had the luxury to play. I've grown so used to 7 strings that playing a 6 now is like playing a guitar without the rhythm section.

Reaction score
To me there are two types of seven string player:

1-the ones that think about it as a 6+1 guitar.
2-the ones the think about it as a completely different instrument.

My 2 c. ;)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

My 2 c. ;)

+Rep

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

My 2 c. ;)

To take it one step further there are 2 types of musicians, those who live in a box and make generalizations, and those who are not afraid to try something new.

masterdebradwic

Reaction score
I love the different chord voicings and yea rippin it up is so much easier on a seven string lol. The neck is so much wider and just kinda makes it perfect for arppegio's and long ass linier runs. Chuggin' is good too man. So I'd have to go with Ibanez.

Hendog

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm one or the other, but I love my RG7.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
1. The players that could do everything they do on a detuned 6, basically only using the lowest 3-4 strings anyways. (Carnifex, Whitechapel, Korn, Fear Factory etc.)

2. The players that actually take advantage of having more options. (Everyone else.)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
1. The players that could do everything they do on a detuned 6, basically only using the lowest 3-4 strings anyways. (Carnifex, Whitechapel, Korn, Fear Factory etc.)

Whitechapel do make use of their 7s, and I'll give you older Fear Factory, but newer stuff and Divine Heresy Dino does more solos and higher register work.

I personally find 7 strings more comfortable than 6 strings anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')