The ultimate RG8 Modification, IMHO

• Thread starter Anatoth Derek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anatoth Derek

Reaction score
So this is a story about me getting my first 8 string. As I did with my first 7 string, I got the lowest priced Ibanez on the market, which is the now common place RG8. My local Guitar Center only had it in black, so black it was.

Prior to my purchase, I had been lurking around here for a while regarding the subject and I knew out the gate it needed some work to be playable without serious modding. So I set out with a new set of string and the removal of the tone pot. I also took the bridge pick up out, and moved the neck pick up into its position.

As with everyone else's results, the guitar was passable but still not desirable as it sat. So I went to work cooking up a scheme for further mod work. First off, it needed new tuners.

With that bit of work done, I decided it needed a new color scheme.

Competition Orange. Look at that gloss :agreed:

And since I was repainting it anyway, I took this as a chance to alter the control layout.

To match this I decided that I would make a nice new route for a set of passive duncan 8s. I went with the Sentient/Pegasus. Gotta say, I am a huge fan of these two pick ups. They just... have it. I don't know how to describe it better, but I only logged about 20 minutes of play time on them so far.

Now I know what you are saying at this point. "Man this has been a long winded story for what is basically a paint job." To which I say you are correct. That is why I saved the best for last.

I don't like strat shaped guitars that aren't a Fender Strat. So I turned my RG8 into and IC8. And let me tell you, it flipping slays running out of my hotrod deville/5150 rig. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed telling it. Sorry for the picture quality. I don't own a camera, just a camera phone. Hopefully you enjoy them still:hbang:

Bonus work bench shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeleopard

Reaction score
I saw the red and went "Ooohhh... pretty..." *scrolls down, sees IC8* "HOLY DICK WHAT"

Axayacatl

Reaction score
Holy shit that was an awesome read

When I saw the red I went "Awwwww hell yeah"

When I saw red with a red rocket protruding from the lower horn

That's when I lost it

You are awesome

Reaction score
And that is the coolest rg mod I've seen to date. Re ally awesome... I love the iceman shape!

studmiester7

Official Logo
Reaction score
Dude, you don't know how bad I Ibby, to make an IC8; and then you post this. I have only two reactions: 1. is, that is a most spectacular & bad-ass RG8 mod; and 2....F*** you, for making me quite jelly! lol. Super awesome, dude

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
sticker,375x360.png

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
Damn! I wasn't expecting that. Great job man, if you're in the spirit of giving for the holidays I'll Pm you my address. :lol:

Anatoth Derek

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys like it as much as I do. As for the only question asked thus far, I had a new body made instead of trying to mess with altering the RG shape. Which means I have an rg8 body that has an interesting future as well. But that's a story for another thread

Latest posts

')