The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

space frog

Reaction score
^I hope it tops The Common Man's Collapse. IMO their best so far, though ID was great too. If it does top TCMC, I will need new pants.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I liked it until the music started, then again after it stopped. That mess in the middle sounded like it was recored ~15 years ago. Ever heard of Norma Jean? Bless the Martyr era? Except that album was truly savage and fresh when it came out. I was expecting something a lot more interesting, because I've loved the creativity in their other albums. Hopefully the rest of the album is a little more imaginitive.

:2c:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Judging an entire album off of 1:20 is a seriously bold move, no?

Reaction score
I hate trailers like this, it was literally just a bunch of zero's and a few dissonant chords, I was kind of hoping for an actual track not the title track on [ID] with better production...

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
I hate trailers like this, it was literally just a bunch of zero's and a few dissonant chords, I was kind of hoping for an actual track not the title track on [ID] with better production...

It's a teaser.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
You guys get one breakdown and already have opinions on the albums direction? :squint:

Anyway check out what ad was in this thread, might have something to do with a certain one of their songs...

notsafetoswim.png

bulb

Reaction score
It's a teaser.

I really wonder if some people actually would dismiss this album because of a teaser as breakdown-core or something, and then because we all know how kids on the internet are, would then spout off about how this album sucks because it is all breakdowns, and make everyone who actually listened to it be like "wrf srsly?"

I know it sounds far-fetched, but i can pretty much guarantee it will happen. And that will be hilarious!

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
I really wonder if some people actually would dismiss this album because of a teaser as breakdown-core or something, and then because we all know how kids on the internet are, would then spout off about how this album sucks because it is all breakdowns, and make everyone who actually listened to it be like "wrf srsly?"

I know it sounds far-fetched, but i can pretty much guarantee it will happen. And that will be hilarious!

Wouldn't doubt it.

Also, some have mixed up "teaser" with "sampler," and they can be two really different things. A sampler being sections of one or more songs from the album to specifically show you what you can expect directly from the album, and a teaser being something that actually reveals little to nothing about the album to draw in the listener so that they will be more inclined to make a purchase; attaining satisfaction when they finally have the product in their hands.

You guys get one breakdown and already have opinions on the albums direction? :squint:

Anyway check out what ad was in this thread, might have something to do with a certain one of their songs...

notsafetoswim.png

Haha sick.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
Absolutely IN LOVE with the mix from what I hear on this teaser! IMO it doesn't sound anything like Periphery, Misha has really improved a lot with his mixing skills, very excited for this album!

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I got to agree with this here, so far the mix doesn't feel like VoM's usual work. Prod is great, but not unique IMHO like the last albums.

I feel like this too. Not necessarily a bad mix, just doesn't feel like VoM. Still hyped, obv.

Also, will be interviewing the band today. What should I ask them?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I feel like this too. Not necessarily a bad mix, just doesn't feel like VoM. Still hyped, obv.

Also, will be interviewing the band today. What should I ask them?
"What was your headspace when writing 'Eclipse'" (As in, what were they thinking, imagery, ect.)

"Was it a goal to make the album sound more (technnical, dynamic, heavy, ect.)?"

"How and what did Misha add to the songs?"

"What songs or how many songs from the album are you expecting to play live once it's released?"

I know for a fact that I'll have about 2,000 more questions after I hear the album.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Based on that brief teaser, i agree w/ the people who say it doesn't feel like VoM usual work. Doesn't sound bad by any means, but I had to get used to the sound of previous albums and it grew on me.

I will say I think this mix will do wonders for all those cool chords Marc likes to use. Super mega excited to hear a full song too.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
i am so excited for this album cause this is the firt album imo that the production will match the skill of marc and the rest of the band (no offense to keene i love him to death). all those this thick chords that marc likes (like mowgli) will now sound amazing. and i trust misha as both a producer and a musical influence towards marc. just my 2 cents

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
How does it not sound like their older work? You've heard a very chug-heavy teaser which was very much along the likes of VoM breakdowns, just with a different tone that IMO suits them a lot (I always imagined them sounding better with a tone like this than on iD and the common man's collapse).

The only thing we've heard off the new album are some crappy youtube live recordings of the Third Uprising, which IMO already sounds really great and the tone they used for their guitars which can just be described as ''much better than before''. When their songs start sounding like Racecar or Lady Gaga those complaints will be warranted, until then let's wait to hear some actual writing.

')