The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
veil coming here in a few weeks, but i am not going to pay 30$ just to see them :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

space frog

Reaction score
I'll Misha's word until the album actually drops. For now I can definitely tell this is going to be the best sounding Veil of Maya album yet. It's going to sound as huge as it should and Misha is great with making very clear distorted guitar tones so all of marc's chords will truly ring out!

People who are whining: They are releasing a song on Tuesday. Before you write off the album entirely, listen to an actual SONG, not a 30 fucking second PART of a song.

It's a teaser to build up some hype. VoM is known for their interesting breakdown style, what better way to build up a quick 30 second hype other than a breakdown rather than some 30 seconds of random noodling that wouldn't make any sense when it's out of context from a song.

Also what the hell is a "zero" on a guitar?? I thought it was called an open string...

if we shouldnt complain about anything yet, how can you say this will be the best vom out yet? i mean after all its just 30 seconds of noodling :shrug:

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing VoM and In Flames tonight. Opening track was the teaser that was just released, youtube linked below. They played a new song that I never heard yet (I think it was called Parallax or Parallel but I'm not positive, I know it started with P) I liked the sound of that track and am now eager to hear the album. Got to talk to Marc for a little bit after the show, really nice guy.

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
Interesting stage set up with the drummer off to the side. I guess there's a lot of backline gear on stage??

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
Trivium and In Flames already had their drums set up center stage, there would have been no room for VoM to set their drums in the middle in front of Trivium's. It took a while for them to set up the drums in the corner like that.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing VoM and In Flames tonight. Opening track was the teaser that was just released, youtube linked below. They played a new song that I never heard yet (I think it was called Parallax or Parallel but I'm not positive, I know it started with P) I liked the sound of that track and am now eager to hear the album. Got to talk to Marc for a little bit after the show, really nice guy.

How is no one moving around to that? Shit.

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
The crowd was majority Trivium fans. There was very little movement when Veil played.

I was surprised that there was a lot of standing around for In Flames as well

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
i agree that VoM guitars have always sounded thin, but i think they sound a lot less so in the teaser clip. comparing it to the other instrumentals from the previous two albums that sound similar to this i notice a significant improvement in the mix.

i will say though that i think there was some logic behind the guitar tone being the way that it was. i could hear the notes come through a lot more clearly than other bands and for the most part the guitar tone seemed constant through the entirety of each song. i think there's something kind of charming about a song sounding like it was played through all in one take without hitting pedals and piling on effects in protools.

im so excited, and can't wait to hear the new track. for some reason though 'veil of maya' yields ZERO results in youtube right now... i don't think my work filter would take it THAT far.

bulb

Reaction score
i agree that VoM guitars have always sounded thin, but i think they sound a lot less so in the teaser clip. comparing it to the other instrumentals from the previous two albums that sound similar to this i notice a significant improvement in the mix.

i will say though that i think there was some logic behind the guitar tone being the way that it was. i could hear the notes come through a lot more clearly than other bands and for the most part the guitar tone seemed constant through the entirety of each song. i think there's something kind of charming about a song sounding like it was played through all in one take without hitting pedals and piling on effects in protools.

im so excited, and can't wait to hear the new track. for some reason though 'veil of maya' yields ZERO results in youtube right now... i don't think my work filter would take it THAT far.

Yeah we definitely went for much more natural sounding takes this time around, everything is tight, but not super polished, we just took our time getting the right takes with the right character to them, just to do something a little different for them this time around!

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Yeah we definitely went for much more natural sounding takes this time around, everything is tight, but not super polished, we just took our time getting the right takes with the right character to them, just to do something a little different for them this time around!

sweet. that's the kind of production philosophy i like. i think DEP's Ire Works was done that way. except they took it to the extreme and tried to do all their songs in one take, even if it meant several retries. i understand that digital recording provides a TON of tricks and techniques (cheats) as compared to the old days, so it's cool to see people throwing back a little and not fine tuning every little bit and smoothing out every wrinkle. it's too sterile that way.

can you comment on any of the gear the guitars were recorded with?

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Just heard the new track, and it's pretty standard Veil of Maya, except for the random clean parts, but Brandon's vocals are giving me the vibe of Ronnie Canizaro for the lows, circa A Higher Place. His lows sound a lot different than they used to, but his highs still sound pretty consistent. Overall, I like the track a lot, and the production is killer.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything like Ronnie. Sounds just like Brandon to me. I really like the song but I have a feeling the rest of the album is gonna blow it out of the water.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I dunno, he seems to be a lot in the midrange, like Ronnie was in on a lot of tracks on A Higher Place, as opposed to really low like he used to be.
Also, I'm loving the keyboard all over this track.

Zelos45

Chris
Reaction score
New song on itunes now called vicious circles

It's on youtube (now) so everyone who couldn't listen to it can now. Whoever did this is quick. :p

IT'S SICK BTW! :hbang: I APPROVE.

EDIT: Video got taken down.
2nd EDIT: A friend of mine uploaded it on youtube unlisted, so hopefully it stays up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2RlQzQY_Ehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2RlQzQY_E

I've been listening to this song looped since I bought it about 10 minutes after it came out... I love it - the new synth and clean guitar bits, the good old VoM sound/badassery, Brandon's vocals, obviously Marc, Sam, and Danny's playing... etc. ... I love Veil of Maya.:lol:

Latest posts

')