The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Just got it off itunes! Pretty good, I look forward to seeing how this album turns out. I was kinda hoping for some ultra technical stuff, but I can't judge anything off the single. I really loved [id] and common mans collapse was also a great release. VoM is such a great band!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ByDesign

:::::::::
Reaction score
It's a single because it's probably a safe song. Looking forward to hearing some of the more tech/weird shit on the rest of the album!

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
It's a single because it's probably a safe song. Looking forward to hearing some of the more tech/weird shit on the rest of the album!
Exactly. Like how Unbreakable was the single for [id] because it sounded pretty deathcore.

I still wanna know what all this 20/200 shit is though.

bulb

Reaction score
glad you guys are digging the songs and the mix!!
we worked hard on this one, i have to say this song was an interesting choice to put out first because its the one that sounds the most like their older material, and the rest is a lot more of a departure (in a good way imo!)

musikizlife

TCM Softhands
Reaction score
well it definitely makes me very eager to hear the rest of the album!
If the single is that good the rest must be outta control.

Did Danny write his own stuff for this album or did Marc mostly do it?
I'm excited being that this is his first with the group

Levi79

Reaction score
New song is nuts. I've always wanted a Veil album with a good mix and this delivers that and more. Stoked for the full release. It's no surprise, but Misha you did an excellent job with this.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
glad you guys are digging the songs and the mix!!
we worked hard on this one, i have to say this song was an interesting choice to put out first because its the one that sounds the most like their older material, and the rest is a lot more of a departure (in a good way imo!)

Excited! Can't wait! :agreed:

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Love the mix and the song, but it's a little too safe for me. I prefer the more rhythmic songs they usually make but this is far from bad by any means. Been waiting ages on a new VoM song and it does not dissapoint!

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Finally gave Veil of Maya a proper listen today. Dead god, they're good. :lol:

I've almost finished learning 'Its not safe to swim today'. That song is amazingly fun.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I like the throwback to Common Man's Collapse. The breakdown in the end could have been more interesting though.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
really digging the mix and the vocals. everything sounds powerful and meaty without sounding UN-VoM.

at the same time though, the guitar riffs and the song structure itself remind me of Black Dahlia Murder. am i alone here? or am i not versed enough in the various technical differences between sub-sub-genres?

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
well it definitely makes me very eager to hear the rest of the album!
If the single is that good the rest must be outta control.

Did Danny write his own stuff for this album or did Marc mostly do it?
I'm excited being that this is his first with the group

Marc, he mentioned this in the interview we did.

The mix sounds kinda thin. Songs is awesome. Both are just as expected.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
does it not bother anyone that, in a band that is absolutely 100% guitar driven, the fucking blastbeats drown out the guitars? when did this kind of dickless weak ass guitar tone come into vogue? there is hardly any distortion, the guitars have some mids but zero lows, there is bass but it doesn't blend with the guitars for shit. I had to strain to pick out notes over the snare drum sound and there are still some riffs where I can only wonder "WTF is going on?"

the vocals sound pretty good. that at least is a nice step over the last album.

I listened to the youtube version at 360 and 720p, thought it sucked, paid $1.30 for the iTunes version just to make sure, thought it sucked. listened to it on my speakers, monitors, and two sets of headphones and it sucked on every set.

WHAT THE FUCK

I honestly lost sleep last night after hearing this mix. VoM is hands down my favorite band. When I heard Misha was producing the album, I flipped out in a bad way because Periphery's CD is one of the worst mixes I have heard in my entire life (also, Spencer). I tried to keep the faith, but good god... if this is what people want to hear, I am taking the first shuttle off this planet and never coming back

')