The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
aight I shouldn't have been so extremely critical. I don't like the mix, it gets the job done though... really like the song. Its classic VoM which is no problem. riff at 1:43 is especially awesome, but right now it just sounds thin and atmospheric to me. my preference would be for some something with more body, better note definition. maybe its intentional?

anyway. sick song, album?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
aight I shouldn't have been so extremely critical. I don't like the mix, it gets the job done though... really like the song. Its classic VoM which is no problem. riff at 1:43 is especially awesome, but right now it just sounds thin and atmospheric to me. my preference would be for some something with more body, better note definition. maybe its intentional?

anyway. sick song, album?!?

Yeah the song is quite awesome. I'm not going to be a baby about the mix anymore so I'm just going to wish everyone involved good luck with the album release.

Zelos45

Chris
Reaction score
I really like Vicious Circles, I think it's a great song, and if anything Misha says is true, the new stuff will be crazy and out there compared to Vicious Circles, which is awesome. Everyone stop complaining about the mix though, it's perfectly fine - everything has its place. Sure the guitar could be a bit punchier in the mix, but at the same time it might seem more so like that because Eclipse's production is a harsh contrast to [id] because the production style on that was honestly incredibly balls-out and raw.
Super stoked for Eclipse though, I already preordered it with a t shirt and poster! :D
Oh and Marc's riffs. :bowdown:

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Cynic is SUCH a godly song. ugh

It's funny that people always got to mention that Cynic has a song called Veil of Maya. :lol:
I love both bands, both have the name for their song/band from a poem. I really have to find that poem, it must be great!

As for the mix, I agree that it somehow sounds a little bit thin, and the song is very typical VOMish, that's why I'm even more excited for the promised songs with a "different" style. No premature judging here.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Always liked Veil of Maya but was never heavily into them

but now that i'm listening to Vicious Circles (For the millionth time) I think this will be the album that gets me heavily into them.

I'm stoked about this album

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I like Vicious Circles but I hope the other songs are better. It just sounds a bit generic, doesn't really offer anything new really other than the keyboard which is new for VoM

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I like the song, but it sounds very... well I don't know how to put it other than VoM-y. Not that thats a bad thing, I was just hoping for something fresh sounding. But sounds like the rest of the album is going to be exactly what I'm hoping for.

For now though, back to jamming Vicious Circles :hbang:

Sikthness

Reaction score
I like Vicious Circles but I hope the other songs are better. It just sounds a bit generic, doesn't really offer anything new really other than the keyboard which is new for VoM

after listening for a few days now, I pretty much agree w/ this. And in my opinion the keyboards are a negtive. Sure its something newto VoM, but in a generic way. Im not a big keyboard fan to begin w/ though, so I'm sure others may like them. I cant help but feel like if this was on ID, itd stand out as the worst song, easily. I'm lookin forward to hearing The Glass Slide though, which is the 3rd in the Uprising series according to Heavy Blog. Hopefully there will be some more unique stuff happening on the rest of the record.

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I just read the last 5 pages of this thread and they were thoroughly entertaining and riddled with whining, ranting, and debacles. Anywho, I think the new material sounds great. The mix is a lot more clear and the guitar tone is too. It isn't as dark sounding as their last two albums, which helps methinks. However, we only have an intro/interlude and one song that apparently isn't representative of the rest of the album. I guess we'll have to wait and judge the mix and sound in the context of the album when it comes out *gasp* :2c:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
every time i've heard a pre-release mix and hoped the album was better, it wasn't. maybe better mastering, but never heard somebody re-amp all the guitars with only a month to go to release

space frog

Reaction score
every time i've heard a pre-release mix and hoped the album was better, it wasn't. maybe better mastering, but never heard somebody re-amp all the guitars with only a month to go to release

Yeah this. It's not like we are talking about the album itself, the discussions lately have been about the mix, not the overall thing. I still can't wait for it to get to my door :hbang:

dNate

Reaction score
If I were to make a prediction on how this album is going to sound, this is going to be another step in VoM really defining their sound.

Common man's collapse was more about technicality with heavy emphasis on making heavy, punchy breakdowns.

Id was more of them experimenting with rhythms and melodies

and judging by Vicious Circles, this album seems like it's going to be a mixture of the stand out aspects of the first two cds.

The arrangements definitely seem simpler but I think after this album they'll really start to come into their own.

I'm stoked for this!

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear about what I said. I meant to say that I thought the new material sounded good but that the mixing might make more sense in context of the album as a whole.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Just preordered bundle #4, really stoked for this. And finally a shirt that's not goddamn awfull imho, even though I like the Turtles shirts they have up :lol:

Latest posts

')