The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isispelican

Reaction score
I just hope that future releases will feature more of Marc's unique riffing style instead of chugging, would be cool to hear that with Lukas's vocals on top!

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
I just hope that future releases will feature more of Marc's unique riffing style instead of chugging, would be cool to hear that with Lukas's vocals on top!

Once a band starts chugging they don't stop chugging. Say goodbye to old VoM.

ayaotd

Reaction score
Hasn't VoM been chugging for quite some time? Common Mans Collapse had "chugging" parts.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

my bro doesn't even listen to VoM and guessed it was Veil less than 5 seconds in to Leeloo.

also Veil has been chugging since their demo FFS. they even had the electronic .... back then too.

Xplozive

Reaction score
Anyone else think their speakers blew listening to Leeloo the first time...specifically around the 2:09 mark haha.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
Digging the music and the guitar parts a lot, but can't stand the clean singing in few parts.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but the poppy-like clean singing with screams/growls gets old real fast for me...

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
This is like their least chuggy release on first listen IMO. I haven't listened to it in a good while but from what I remember ID was a total chugathon. I'm surprised I like this new one as much as I do because honestly I've only just come around to REALLY enjoying Periphery's s/t album and the cleans are admittedly similar, but I think this is so good. The lead work is the best its ever been, and I think the riffs are super memorable despite sticking to so many of the same techniques VOM has been doing ever. I don't know exactly how I'd refer to all the little noisy slides and harmonics he hits, the sort of "trick" parts, but between that and all the panning I really enjoy his playing.

I had liked Mikasa a lot but figured it would be the album highlight. I was wrong, this is very impressive.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
always liked VoM and had massive respect for the guys, but they've always been a bit tiresome to listen for extended time periods. The album here has the usual sick melodic riffing and heavy as fvck sections, but the vocals bring some variety (even though, they remind me a LOT more of Jonny Craig instead of Sotelo, which is a +1 for me) and the compositions feel a lot more cohesive instead of just being a riff salad, making the songs much more memorable.
Also, first time ever I've been so hooked to the material of this guys, definitely one of the highlights of the year for me

I just finished listening to the WSOU stream and really, really liked what I heard. This is my current contender for 2015's album of the year. All of the tracks were great, but these stood out to me the most:

- Mikasa
- Aeris
- Three-Fifty
- Lisbeth

Consider me a fan from here on out.

almost same tracks here :D, add Teleute, and big emphasis on Three-Fifty (mah god that song is catchy)

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
As an old Veil fan (And one of few with a VOM tattoo actually) I really REALLY like this album. I always loved TCMC and id (The latter of which tremendously affected my playing and writing style) but Eclipse really bummed me out so I'm stoked with this album that they decided to do the whole techy-riffy verses and clean choruses. It may be overdone but imo, when it's done well, it's awesome.

I do have a couple of gripes though. The same kind of thing that I feel like Veil has always fallen victim to in their career. Marc tends to write songs or parts that I can hear expanding and extending into longer, much more epic songs and it's always to my disappointment (See "Eclipse). There's quite a few parts like that on this album. Matriarch (The song) feels exactly like Eclipse (The song also) to me, in that it feels like the beginning of a 5+ minute epic.

I also hate HATE how Lucy ends/goes into Mikasa. It feels like there should be a whole extra 30 seconds-minute or two in Lucy to conclude the idea instead of having it build up and go right into Mikasa. Same type of thing with the ending section of Teleute although that one's starting to grow on me (After 20 or so listens). Maybe it's just the transition to it that sounds kinda clunky to me? Marc seems to write a little jaggedly and his transitions feel a little off sometimes I feel like.

Overall though, I really dig it. Best tracks imo are
Leeloo
Ellie
Mikasa
Three-Fifty
Lisbeth

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I was kinda curious about VoM's song lengths so I just went and checked... no five minute long songs since Common Man's Collapse, and the two 5 minute tunes on that album were the weakest songs on the disc (imo).

Longest song on [id] was 3:45.

There was one on Eclipse that was 4:05, next longest was 3:32 and like half of them were less than 3:00.

I had never noticed how short the tunes were because I thought they were all practically perfect on CMC and [id] and I hardly listened to Eclipse because it sucked so bad, but this album for sure some stuff coulda used room to grow.

Then again Marc has to play his ass off all the time, so maybe the songs can only be 3 minutes long otherwise his hands would fall off :lol:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I had never noticed how short the tunes were because I thought they were all practically perfect on CMC and [id] and I hardly listened to Eclipse because it sucked so bad

that's funny, I've also never even thought about how long VoM tracks are for the exact same reason, even though I play several of their songs!

Khoi

Reaction score
tuning question, is Aeris on a 7-string in drop G#?

edit: nevermind, 90% sure its on a 7-string

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
tuning question, is Aeris on a 7-string in drop G#?

edit: nevermind, 90% sure its on a 7-string

If it uses the same tuning as Myu and my hearing is not wrong then the song is in drop G on a seven string (I'm trying to tab out Myu atm).

Khoi

Reaction score
If it uses the same tuning as Myu and my hearing is not wrong then the song is in drop G on a seven string (I'm trying to tab out Myu atm).

Yeah, it's definitely on a 7-string and most likely in G. G# was just one of the notes in the beginning riff that I tried playing, but in Drop B on my 6-string. Needless to say, it didn't work out :lol:

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
someone spare me before i bother, how much bull.... clean singing is on the record?

')