The Video Banner Ads are Bad and You Should Feel Bad

• Thread starter BlackMastodon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone disable the autoplay feature on these pieces of shit?

I don't fucking care about Nordstrom Rack, or some dipshit's album reviews, or what the guitarists from Poison are trying to show me how to play. It's fucking annoying trying to quickly go through the subforum pages to click on a thread before they start saying and interrupt what I'm listening to.

I don't care if they're there and I can completely ignore them. I have a problem with only being able to ignore them for 10 seconds.

Between these and the rise of bot threads pushing bullshit dating sites, what the fuck is going on lately?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I semi-seriously wonder if having the captcha answer thingie in plain text in one of the threads has weakened the site against that kind of thing.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This place and TGP with the ad bullshit lately is over the top.

At this point I just close my browser when the ads are trying to load and everything grinds to a halt then usually don’t come back for a day.

I know Scott Peterson sold TGP in the last year and SSO is listed as a sister site to TGP, did all the forums get the same “Hey, spam these ads at our users who have been here for years” crap?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Idk what it is, but I never see ads on the site? At least not on mobile or on Mozilla on the few ocassions I log in from my laptop. I'm also not using any particular ad blocker.

And I also almost always miss the bot threads. Maybe I just don't use the "New Posts" button enough 😅

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Idk what it is, but I never see ads on the site? At least not on mobile or on Mozilla on the few ocassions I log in from my laptop. I'm also not using any particular ad blocker.

And I also almost always miss the bot threads. Maybe I just don't use the "New Posts" button enough 😅
I'm also using Mozilla both on mobile and Windows.

G I V E M E Y O U R S E C R E T S

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also using Mozilla both on mobile and Windows.

G I V E M E Y O U R S E C R E T S
:rofl: I wish I had any!

Only times I see ads are when I find an SSO link from a google search result and it opens in a new tab and I'm not logged in. I notice I'm not logged in because of the absurd amount of ads.

I was gonna say maybe being a contributor to the site affects that, but I see you are also paying Alex lol. Maybe there's more than one plan and one of them just gets rid of ads? Maybe I'm paying more than I thought I was? :lol: Idk I need to go check.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I just found out what my secret was.
Screenshot_20240320_162743_Chrome.jpg

I don't remember ever choosing between one plan and the other, but I'm glad I got what I got :lol:

Talk about checking one's own privileges... 🙄

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm just being a weirdo and using the Samsung browser on my phone and it's been bullshit free so far. I've only started seeing banner ads at the top of the page in the last couple months or however long it's been.

I've used Brave a little bit and heard good things.

I don't use Chrome for SSO but I wonder if that's as bad or worse than Mozilla or any other popular browsers.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Using Firefox and I've never actually got an ad with sound. Some of the ads here are google ads, and I assume the rest are also picked by some service.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I just found out what my secret was.
View attachment 140706

I don't remember ever choosing between one plan and the other, but I'm glad I got what I got :lol:

Talk about checking one's own privileges... 🙄
Ah that explains it. My Contributor status lapses a long time ago, but I still have the badge for whatever reason like a poseur.

The sound has only come on for the video banner ads for me maybe 3 times but they've all happened within the last month or 2 and were jarring. Surprised it hasn't happened to more people, Brave-users aside.

')