Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gregrunt

Reaction score
Hello everybody. New to the forums. First post, first thread. Yay. Anywhoozle, onto the main topic. So I've been playing guitar for a good 5+ years and I'm looking into moving onto a good ol' 7-string guitar. I have relatively small hands (i'm hoping they'll get a smidgen bigger since im only 18), so that probably will play into my decision. And i mainly listen to a lot of hard rock/emo/etc that involves lower chords that i cant reach with my 6-string. Now, I know that a lot of what I'm going to hear in here will be based off of different people's different experiences with different guitars, but I'm interested in some feedback.

Now, onto the lineup of guitars that i've come across (my budget is < $750):
-ESP LTD MH-417
-ESP LTD SC-207
-Ibanez RG7321
-Ibanez RG7420
-Ibanez RGA7
-Schecter Omen-7
-Schecter Damien ELITE 7
And I've considered some Agile guitars but I'll get to that later.

What I want:
-NO Floyd Rose
-EMG 81(bridge)
-EMG 85 OR EMG 707 (neck)
And that's about it. Also, for the style of music that I like, would EMGs or Blackouts be better suiting (since those are the 2 types that i hear the most about from forums). Or is there something I haven't heard of that is better?

I have a predilection for guitars that come with the EMGs installed because that erases the hassle of having to buy the new pups and pay to have them installed, which, if you suggest i do that, adds onto the price of the guitar. As for the Agile guitars, the only ones that come with the EMGs preinstalled are the ones that also come with the Floyd Rose, making that no longer an option. In any case, I'll send this one out to you, forum. Whaddya think i oughta get? Thanks:lol:

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Hello everybody. New to the forums. First post, first thread. Yay. Anywhoozle, onto the main topic. So I've been playing guitar for a good 5+ years and I'm looking into moving onto a good ol' 7-string guitar. I have relatively small hands (i'm hoping they'll get a smidgen bigger since im only 18), so that probably will play into my decision. And i mainly listen to a lot of hard rock/emo/etc that involves lower chords that i cant reach with my 6-string. Now, I know that a lot of what I'm going to hear in here will be based off of different people's different experiences with different guitars, but I'm interested in some feedback.

Now, onto the lineup of guitars that i've come across (my budget is < $750):
-ESP LTD MH-417
-ESP LTD SC-207
-Ibanez RG7321
-Ibanez RG7420
-Ibanez RGA7
-Schecter Omen-7
-Schecter Damien ELITE 7
And I've considered some Agile guitars but I'll get to that later.

What I want:
-NO Floyd Rose
-EMG 81(bridge)
-EMG 85 OR EMG 707 (neck)
And that's about it. Also, for the style of music that I like, would EMGs or Blackouts be better suiting (since those are the 2 types that i hear the most about from forums). Or is there something I haven't heard of that is better?

I have a predilection for guitars that come with the EMGs installed because that erases the hassle of having to buy the new pups and pay to have them installed, which, if you suggest i do that, adds onto the price of the guitar. As for the Agile guitars, the only ones that come with the EMGs preinstalled are the ones that also come with the Floyd Rose, making that no longer an option. In any case, I'll send this one out to you, forum. Whaddya think i oughta get? Thanks:lol:

MH-417. Nothing else I can say except that it KICKS ASS.

gregrunt

Reaction score
MH-417. Nothing else I can say except that it KICKS ASS.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm actually going to go with that guitar. Mainly because it has the neck-thru design and i hear that's really handy in the higher frets. I feel a bit sketch about the EMG 81-7s as i hear they are a little dry and i hear the 707s can get muddy, but I've heard that with the 18V mod, they're comparable to SD Blackouts, so I don't think there'll be much worry there. Otherwise, looks like a solid guitar, and I'm going to give it a shot.:hbang:

simonpimonpoo

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am planning on buying a new guitar and i was thinking of a 7-string. I have looked around and found 2 that i can consider buying, the schecter hellraiser c-7 2011 model (Buy Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend) and the agile interceptor pro 727 (Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Black Flame at RondoMusic.com).

Both guitars cost about the same (schecter costs 699 dollars and the agile costs 689) so I'm having a hard time making up my mind about which one to buy.

I was hoping this lovely community could help me with my choice! Which one would you choose and why?

Reaction score
I would go with the hellraiser because an original Floyd rose is going to shit all over A liscenced Floyd rose lime the one found in the agile. Other than that the specs are just about the same. The scale length is a little longer on the agile, which is mildly important if your playing in a lower tuning.

simonpimonpoo

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the input. So apart from the floyd rose they're practically the same guitar then? (aprt from looks but tbh they even look the same)

Reaction score
The EMG's in the C7 are the 707TW's..which are coil tappable. A lot of people don't get along with the Hellraiser's necks, so make sure you try it before you buy it. :)

The fretboard is also different, the Agile has an ebony board.

Reaction score
Actually the Floyd rose is a FR Special...
Even if I'm really happy with my Agile in this case I'd go with the Schecter

Right off MF

Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR Electric Guitar Features:
Construction: Set-neck with Ultra Access
Scale: 26-1/2"
Tuning: B-E-A-D-G-B-E
Body: Mahogany
Top: Quilted maple
Neck: 3-piece mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Frets: 24 extra-jumbo
Inlays: Gothic cross
Pickups: EMG Active 707-TW
Electronics: 2 Vol/Tone/3-Way Toggle Switch
Bridge: Floyd Rose Original Tremolo
Tuners: Grover
Hardware: Black Chrome

simonpimonpoo

Reaction score
I have tried the hellraiser c1 and i quite liked that one, but i haven't tried the c7 since the store I was at didn't have it. About the floyd rose, it says in the description it is an original floyd rose but if you look at the picture it says floyd rose special. What's the difference between the original and the special?

Underworld

Reaction score
As you are from Sweden, buying the agile will get you heavy shipping costs and abominable customs and dutie taxes! I'd go schecter, unless you are planning to buy it on the net too. You can always ask your local shop to order the schecter.

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
They might look "kind of" the same but in depth they aren't. The construction is different and neck woods are different, scale length is different, tremolo is different and pickups are different. The Hellraiser will be a much dark sounding instrument, there's more mahogany in play and the fretboard is rosewood, when the Interceptor the Maple plays a bigger role being a Maple neck-thru with ebony fretboard giving the instrument a more bright, crisper sound to it. In my opinion, even though I own an Agile I would choose the Schecter, I prefer the color, has binding and the machine heads pattern is more comfortable to use than inline 7 IMO, not fan of EMG's but is the only way to go in both, but there's more sound options in the Hellraiser as the coils are splittable and the Floyd will kill a licensed one any day. I love my Agile a lot but after I upgraded it with SD Blackouts, an OFR and bigger Stainless Steel frets, so get the Hellraiser. As for the neck feel I've been told they are close to being the same profile.

Leeroy343

Reaction score
Choice:

1) Schecter Hellraiser C-7 (Fixed) - LOVE the 707 in the neck

2) Schecter BlackJack ATX C7 (never played a guitar with Blackouts)

My question comes down to really whether the Blackout in the bridge would out-peform the 707 in the neck...

I'm sure there's already hundreds of threads/posts about this, but I can't seem to find enough of a definite answer. Would the sound be so different that I could possibly regret buying the Hellraiser?

Thanks in advance

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
Hi guys,
As people here from the U.K. will be aware V.A.T. is set to rise and, will do so in early January 2011. As a result I will be buying myself my first 7 string and (although not relevant to this section of the forum) a TS9,Maxon OD9 or Keeley moded TS9 + before the V.A.T. Increase.

The question I have for you all is ... RGD2127z with the 26.5" scale, RG1527 in black with the 25.5" scale or ... Do I go for the wild card, a Schecter Loomis (I thought they were limited edition but apparently still available =S).

My only experience with Ibanez is a 6 string S470 I own, I have never tried a Schecter but I believe the neck would be similar to my Jackson SL3.

I will keep you updated an of course feed the biggest contribution to global warming on the internet, ss.org's collective GAS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Those are quite different instruments, so first thing to ask is whether you feel a longer scale is necessary. Personally, I'd hit the Ibanez axes as I'm not really a fan of EMG's and I prefer the look and feel of them. Between the 2 of them, honestly, it's a simple matter of personal taste.

I still haven't had the chance of putting a RGD through its paces adequately, although it seems to be pretty much in line with the feel we're used to having from them. As for the 1527's, they're nice and solid guitars, nothing to add.

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
The RG1527 is, as mr. the Shred expressed, a solid choice. Can't really go wrong with that, though it's nothing that special. If you tune to B standard +/- 1 semitone, that'll serve you well. It can, though, handle lower tunings also, but the tone will suffer incrementally.

The RG2127z should be just as good, only with a longer scale. I could have gotten that if only the looks would please me more. If you tune lower, say, A standard or below(or Drop A) I'd go with this one. Sure it can handle also regular tunigns, but you'd be kinda missing the point of the extended scale. I play currently with a 26.5" Schecter at Drop A and it's tight and nice.

Don't know about the loomis - Schecters are known to have thicker necks than Ibanez's or other manufacturers, but I don't know how the Loomis sig goes with this. It does have it's devoted fanbase though, so I'd trust that also to be a solid guitar.

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
Cheers for the quick response! I have never played an extended scale guitar in my life so I guess I best nip down to a guitar shop and try one out! I do like a good deal of tension in my strings, that's why I'm opting for a 7 rather than down tuning a 6.

It would mostly be b standard stuff I'd be playing and my mates all have 1527's and swear by them, as petty as it sounds ... I prefer the case on the 1527's. The 2127z case is really impersonal and seems like a general purpose case, were as the 1527 case is moulded.

I'll be heading down to my local guitar shop tomorrow to have a little shot of the guitars I mentioned. Not the Loomis but definitely the 2127 and 1527. The only selling point I can see with the Loomis for me is the body and neck woods. They have an ash body and maple neck, Does the basswood used in both Ibby's give descent sustain and resonance? what are the harmonics like on them? does the extended range of the 2127 affect the harmonics and resonance? if so how?

Also, do you rate maple necks? I have never tried one but Loomis and Michael Romeo (spelling?) get a nice tone from them.

Latest posts

')