Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Gencives

Reaction score
Both are really great guitars!
The only thing that would "scare me away" is that the Schecter's a signature model, and kinda personalised to Jeff Loomis, but if you're cool with that...

i have no problem with that ;)
but what about the thing my local dealer said ? is it true ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gencives

Reaction score
oh, are blackouts better ?
i saw schecter c-7 atx was factory-equiped with them, so maybe i should go with a c-7 ?

Dan

Reaction score
Its all a matter of opinion really. I'm a blackouts man but people love EMG's, i just find them a little muddy for my tastes.

the Loomis is allround a better guitar IMO, the atx has been hit and miss for me. I'm not a schecter man but i love the Loomis, and for the price you wont get a much better guitar unless you look second hand.

Gencives

Reaction score
Its all a matter of opinion really. I'm a blackouts man but people love EMG's, i just find them a little muddy for my tastes.

the Loomis is allround a better guitar IMO, the atx has been hit and miss for me. I'm not a schecter man but i love the Loomis, and for the price you wont get a much better guitar unless you look second hand.
ok but the Jackson SLAT3-7 is nearly same price here so isn't it better ?

Dan

Reaction score
Spec wise i think they are pretty similar, not sure about build quality. I havent had a chance to play a SLAT3-7 yet :( sorry

Fillifax

Reaction score
It seems people generally prefer Blackouts over EMGs, but you could put Blackouts in a Jackson too :)
Anyway, both Schecter and Jackson have REALLY good build quality!

bklixuz

Reaction score
I am confused which either of the two to buy.
im aiming for a carvin dc135/400 or a EBMM axis (excluding piezo). both brands has great reviews.
I know its all is gonna be on me to decide which one to get but Id love to hear other peoples choice which either of the two you will prefer.
quality, features, sound, action, impression and versatility.
thanks!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It really depends on how you spec out the Carvin. Both have different neck shapes, so you might prefer one over the other. Also, you're comparing a single cut, bolt-on with two double-cuts with neck-thru construction.

I'd probably go for a Carvin. After it's all spec'd out it'll probably be close to the price of the Axis, and it'll be custom for you.

As far as build goes, they're both just about on par.

Reaction score
How come the Mockingbird, with its quilted maple top, neck-thru and original floyd rose is CHEAPER than the LTD?

Because it's a B.C. Rich. :cool:

Just kidding!

All right, folks. I never thought I'd post in this section because I don't usually have problems choosing the guitar. Some of you might have seen the thread in the bass section where I've decided it's time to go for E0 and will be purchasing a Dingwall in the new year. I have run into a new problem regarding this situation: the guitar. I have my bass picked out, but I will need a guitar so I can start my new project, which might feature Ibz_rg and someone in a fairly well known band on vocals.

Here's the situation... I don't really want to get an eight string. I would much rather have a seven. If necessary, I will go for one, but I have narrowed down a list of sevens that I wouldn't mind using instead. Here's my list:

Ibanez RGA-7
Agile Septor Pro 727
LTD H-307 (if I can find one)

I would like neck-through and would like to stay away from the inevitable trem. I also don't want to spend a lot of money. The Agile Septor might not work since it is string-through body, but I could grab the Elite for a bit more cash.

A bit of modification, a setup, some new pickups, and any of these guitars could work. I know an eight would be much better, I would just rather go with one less string. If I go with an eight, it would be RGA-8 or Septor 828, but I'm starting to get into a little more than I'd like to spend. The reason I would like the seven is because if I get bored of that low E, I can just set it up for standard and would still like it. I don't really like playing eights. I love seeing them in action though!

What's your take on this, SSO? Any other options I should look out for? Any reason why one guitar stands out more than another?

Leeroy343

Reaction score
Everyone here seems to think that Blackouts in a Loomis rock, so would the result of putting a Blackout in the Bridge of a Hellraiser produce similar results?

I've read all the things about Mahogany/Swamp Ash/Fingerboard tonewoods etc.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
2010 JCRG8527z vs RGD2127z

I own the jcustom but i wanted to know if its worth getting the RGD? it seems the RGD has a thinner neck and the near baritone neck would give more tension to the strings and a tighter sound. I'd load it up with light tops, heavy bottoms tuned a step down (standard D with a low A)

FYI neck debate:

RGD 2127
Scale 672mm/26.5" a : Width at Nut 48mmb : Width at Last Fret 68mmc : Thickness at 1st 19mmd : Thickness at 12th 21mm Radius 400mmR
Jcustom RG8527z
Scale 648mm/25.5"a : Width at Nut 48mmb : Width at Last Fret 68mmc : Thickness at 1st 19mmd : Thickness at 12th 21mm Radius 430mmR

Leeroy343

Reaction score
Made up my mind, and I honestly prefer the EMG 707's to the Blackouts - at least when they're in a Mahogany body. However, after perusing even more 7 strings, I'm now thinking about an Agile and a Dean Razorback.

Now, the contestants are:

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (sounds/feels great, but expensive)

Dean Razorback 7 (good features, but never played one)

Agile Pendulum (fanned frets - problem getting used to them?)

Fillifax

Reaction score
Deans, in my opinion, feel really cheap. Not that they're bad guitars, I just can't get over the feeling that it's a toy :)
I don't know about fanned frets.
The Schecter, however, is the holy grail of playability. If you think it sounds good, it's the guitar for you.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hmm, wow. I'm gonna look like a cheapskate. Oh, well. For multitude of reasons and wants this is a list of guitars from which I will buy my next axe.

ESP F-100FM
Laguna LE200Q
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme

Which is the best buy overall as far as looks and playability?
I will be switching pickups later whether I like these are not as I'll be putting them in my old Strat.

Nealios

Reaction score
Hmm, wow. I'm gonna look like a cheapskate. Oh, well. For multitude of reasons and wants this is a list of guitars from which I will buy my next axe.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1
ESP F-50
ESP F-100FM
Laguna LE200
Laguna LE200Q
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme

Which is the best buy overall as far as looks and playability?
I will be switching pickups later whether I like these are not as I'll be putting them in my old Strat.

If I had to pick between those guitars. I'd go for the Ibanez, I have one and am looking at it right now. It's a great guitar and of course you get that thin neck. I swapped out the pups to EMG 81/85, and the neck pickup didn't fit just a tad, so a little routing may be required.

The Omen series isn't really that great at all.

If I were you i would just save a little more to get a mid-high mid range guitar. Or if you have a job just save up for your dream guitar. Don't take stops along the way.

Latest posts

')