Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason you want another 7 string? The 1527 is a better guitar and I would go with getting another to answer your specific question. But unless you really wanted another identical guitar (or getting the lower end S7320), maybe use the cash towards something else?

This.

the S wont really match up to the quality of the RG, even with the new pups in it.

Though my 1527 is the same cool purple finish and it looks awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

etb1234

Reaction score
Just another 7 for different tunings. The money really wouldnt go anywhere else. Im thinking Im going to go with the S just cause its a change from the 1527. hope its not the wrong choice.

etb1234

Reaction score
Just another 7 for different tunings. The money really wouldnt go anywhere else. Im thinking Im going to go with the S just cause its a change from the 1527. hope its not the wrong choice.

plus regardless of quality, which I dont think will be too bad on the S, ive had major GAS for another S series guitar since I sold my last one.

habba1

Reaction score
Ohh ok cool!

@TheSixthWheel No offence meant dude. was just asking :)

Ok. I think I will try out both the horizon and the Ibanez once it comes to stock and get back to you guys ASAP.

However, with the EMG's (only from the youtoube videos i watched) it seems that the sound isn't as clear as the dimarzio. And personally, I felt that the dimarzio crunchlab is on par, or if not, better than the EMG 81.

What do you guys think about this?

In addition, I know the OFR and ZR tremelos can handle heavy abuse as seen from kirk hammet from metallica and herman li from dragonforce, though their models may be modified from the factory ones.

So what are your experiences about both bridges?

Lastly, I agree. I need to try the guitar first before knowing the neck. I have tried a fender strat recently and I felt the neck quite comfortable. Is that thickness comparable to the horizon?

mountainjam

Reaction score
Ibanez all the way, without question. The zr trem stays in tune better than anything, and the ball bearings are ultra smooth. You can also get one for alot less than a grand.
Ps, my only six strings are an s470dxqm, and an s520

habba1

Reaction score
Nice!

How do you find your s470dxqm?

By the way, I went surfing thorugh forums just now and realised something. Apparently, (as quoted from the forum) the ZR tremelo is made out of cheap material and is very fragile. This is what the opinion said: "Although I've got a ZR, go with the FR. Not many people know about this, but the piece that secures in the tremolo is made of cheap plastic, and it's very easy to break. I broke mine and had to replace it (And the trem bar) with OFR pieces, which took mucho modding. Just go with the OFR." On top of this, quite a few people who owned a Ibanez S series with the ZR tremelo agreed with this. However, they had their own methods of "maintaining it" from breaking. This makes me doubt the durablity of the ZR.

Fortunately, it was mentioned that this problem has been solved in the new ZR2, though I hope it does not turn to be something like the edge III. Apparenty, the ZR2 tremelos are only installed in the prestige S series. So i believe the prices are going to go up by quite alot as compared to the s470.

What are your views to this?

mountainjam

Reaction score
Nice!

How do you find your s470dxqm?

By the way, I went surfing thorugh forums just now and realised something. Apparently, (as quoted from the forum) the ZR tremelo is made out of cheap material and is very fragile. This is what the opinion said: "Although I've got a ZR, go with the FR. Not many people know about this, but the piece that secures in the tremolo is made of cheap plastic, and it's very easy to break. I broke mine and had to replace it (And the trem bar) with OFR pieces, which took mucho modding. Just go with the OFR." On top of this, quite a few people who owned a Ibanez S series with the ZR tremelo agreed with this. However, they had their own methods of "maintaining it" from breaking. This makes me doubt the durablity of the ZR.

Fortunately, it was mentioned that this problem has been solved in the new ZR2, though I hope it does not turn to be something like the edge III. Apparenty, the ZR2 tremelos are only installed in the prestige S series. So i believe the prices are going to go up by quite alot as compared to the s470.

What are your views to this?

I have no idea what you are refering to. Im looking ar the zr right now in person, and see no cheap plastic. Im at a loss here. There seems to be alot of hate online towards the zr, but its unwarranted. And while I don't play it anymore, im only playing 7's these days, its my choice 6 string. But obviouly a prestige would be better. I should also mention before I got the s470 back in the day, I was playing a prs ce22, which I gladly sold after I first played a saber. Im sure alot of people would call that a horrible choice, but my playing took off once I did, and improved tremendously faster. Its a very user friendly guitar.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Take that back...there is some plastic where the tremelo arm slides in, but I played the guitar for 4 years with out a problem. Just because some random dude broke one, doesn't mean anything. Anything and everything is prone to failure when misused.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Ohh ok cool!

@TheSixthWheel No offence meant dude. was just asking :)

Lastly, I agree. I need to try the guitar first before knowing the neck. I have tried a fender strat recently and I felt the neck quite comfortable. Is that thickness comparable to the horizon?

I took no offense from what you were saying, and I hope you took none from what I was saying. Good on you for wanting to learn more about the products you're contemplating purchasing.

Oh, I think a fender strat neck could often be thicker than an ESP Horizon. I know nothing about Fender though, so you might have to wait til someone else answers that one. :yesway:

habba1

Reaction score
Ok Cool!

Anyways, I just phoned my local dealer and he said that, the new s470's come in with ZR 2. So Im going to try it out this wednesday(singapore time).

Haha yeah. Thats one unlucky dude. :)

For the horizon, I still will have to wait for a month, in other words in april (which sucks) to try the guitar.

I will get back to you guys after trying the s470. By the way, the s470 retails for about USD$950. Do you think thats worth it?

habba1

Reaction score
By the way, whats the difference between a 3pc wizard II neck and 5pc wizard II neck?

mountainjam

Reaction score
I think msrp is $950, but they typically go for around $650.

habba1

Reaction score
Ohh ok thats good news :)

However, I just realised something. The s470 is a 22frets guitar.

Now I am looking at a s570 or s770fm for a mod for the ibanez option.

I am looking for a 24 fret guitar.

Whats your advice?

mountainjam

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, the s570 replaced the 470, and has 24 frets

jdj8282

Reaction score
if necks and trems are the big concern, make certain to try a s prestige model. itll blow the standard line away in terms of neck finish and playability everytime. i own both standard series and prestige s models, and the style is all i play practically. i do own others, however they sit alone and get no play since i got into the s series. the prestige will be on par with esp standard series, and feel (imo) better than the esp, albeit very different.

habba1

Reaction score
Ohh I see.

How does the normal s series fare against the prestige s series? Because over here. the pretige s series cost about $2200 whereas the s series cost about $1000. So I want to know if this jump in in price is equal to the quality?

On top of that, the bridges I heard are the same. Both uses a ZP2. apparently all the s series that comes in now is equipped with a ZP2.

Please advise.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Ohh I see.

How does the normal s series fare against the prestige s series? Because over here. the pretige s series cost about $2200 whereas the s series cost about $1000. So I want to know if this jump in in price is equal to the quality?

On top of that, the bridges I heard are the same. Both uses a ZP2. apparently all the s series that comes in now is equipped with a ZP2.

Please advise.

the prestige is made in japan, where ibanez is based, with a hand crafted neck. The non prestige is made in indonesia, but all cnc, so there isn't any room for error. If you can afford it, you will have more pride playing the prestige, but either way, both nice guitars

habba1

Reaction score
So in other words, the difference is quite minimal? Its like squir vs fender/ ltd vs esp?

Yeah. $2200 is a little over my budget. haha:)

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like you needed to make this thread then if you already decided on the S lol

habba1

Reaction score
Because I think I have gathered enough theoratical opinions on the ESP horizon and whats left for me is trying it out. However, I can't try it out yet so I will wait till its available at my local shop to try it out. :)

So now, I just want to gather more information about the S series since, due to my mistake, I did not realise that the s470 is a 22 fret guitar. Sorry. So now I'm looking at the s570, s770fm and the s5470 prestige. Thus, I will like to know if the difference of more than 2 times in the pricing between the s570 and s5470 is worth it or not. :)

Rest assured, I will try out both guitars and get back to you guys with my personal opinions on them

')