Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I been looking into these shapes lately and been wondering if I should pick on of them up since they all LOOK great, but in terms of playability comfort, which one seems to be the best for those who have played them?

Note the only Jacksons I have really played are soloists and dinkies and they all play great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a RR24 and a Demmelition King V.

IMO the Rhoads is slightly easier to play when sat down, but there's hardly any difference when you're stood up.

I'd just go with what shape you like most, providing they're all roughly the same spec!

Sebastian

Reaction score
I am a big Jackson fan, but when playability is the main concern... IMO the best would be the Warrior. You can play on it while sitting like on a "dinky" or it fits really well in the "classical" "v" position.

While standing, especially during solos, the body shape, "horns" lets you "block" the guitar with your legs and play solos without any problems. (of course it can be done on a KV and I think RR also.. but rather not on a kelly...

Now I have superstrats , and after playing on a ML shape, I had to relearn how to play solos while standing on superstrats LOL.

All are great, all look great, but I's go with the Warrior

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
I have an RR, and it's really easy to play both sitting and standing, all you need to do is whack the fins either side of your right leg.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Warrior. IMHO, They're the most comfortable.
But they're Jacksons, so really can't go wrong with any of them.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Just don't go with the JS or RX series, as they tend to be Headstock heavy.

That was what I was really worried about. I played a few of those and you are right they are.

But I am going with a USA Select or higher end pro Series. So all is good.

wildchild

Reaction score
These are the 2 8 strings I am considering
What I like about them
Schecter atx 8 SD blackouts, satin finish, hipshot bridge

Ibanez 27 scale, locking nut on the fx bridge, price is much cheaper than the schecter

Do both of these guitars not come with any case?
I heard some really bad stories about the ibanez or is that the rg2228?
I am based in EU so there is a difference of 300euros between them

Give me your thoughts and opinions or your personal preferences

saovi

Reaction score
Try each and see which is the best fit for you. The Hellraiser is where I ended up with two Lundgren M8s installed aftermarket but you could easily do the same with the Damion Elite or the Ibanez models. Good luck.

geofreesun

Reaction score
actually this is a thread i want to see as well:) though ppl natural dislike 'vs' threads. i already hav an intrepid 828 but it's dominated by maple wood sounds, being neck thru. so i am wondering how these guitars would sound like (schecter being setneck, ibanez bolton, the main body is mahogany), and how the different scale lengths come into play. ppl say 26.5 is too short for F# but if 27 is good enough, why not 26.5?

Cookiedude777

I'm Danny.
Reaction score
Schecters guitars tend to be very heavy in mass, whereas Ibanez guitars are way lighter. Schecter guitar's stock electronics usually come with some form of problem(s). I agree with saovi. Try them and see for yourself. Try in different amps and gears as much as possible to get a better image of the guitar.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly the Damien Elite 8 would be a better comparison to the RGA8, and I'd still pick the Schecter. Not that the Ibby is bad or anything - the bridge issues seem to have been resolved - it's just that here in the States the Schecter is $200 less than the Ibanez and it comes with EMGs, not some generic imitation pickup. With the 18v mod and a properly thought out string set it's a no-brainer if money is the main factor.

That being said I just ordered an ATX C8 from drumcityguitarland.com. Out of ALL of the production 8s it is the one that seemed best suited to me at this time. Mahogany neck and body, bound ebony board, Blackouts, set neck construction, the slightly shorter scale, and the fact that it was high time I got a guitar that wasn't black (I ordered the aged white one) all felt right for me. It ships on Thursday so I guess I'll comment more on it later.

Speaking of the scale length, there is a greater scale difference between a Strat and a Les Paul than between the Ibanez and Schecter 8s, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that 24.75" is too short for a low E. I've played 7s and 8s with 28.625", 27", 26.5", 25.5", and 24.75" (Ibanez AX7521 - haven't played an 8 at that length) scales, and frankly, with the right strings, any one of them works fine.

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
Heres Tosin Abasi playing the RG2228

It's a beautiful guitar, I would love to play it.

wildchild

Reaction score
I live in a small village in Ireland and trying these guitars out is like blood from stone
buy it or not buy it kinda situations, music shops dont order in stuff just to try

was wondering where these guitars are made from now, I know that a lot of companies have been moving their assembly

Reaction score
I actually have tried both and both suit their styles differently. To clear up the gossip, there has been issues with the rga8, not the 2228, due to defects though, stuff like that happens unfortunately. Doesn't mean its not good though: now, the rga8 suits more of a lead players work, because the neck is smooth and thin, doesn't have that gruesome feel of a bat. The cutaway and bolt on construction are good but could be much better, and it plays like f****n butter! My only issue is the scale length is too small for my taste, saying that because the 8th string just gets sloppy, and Im not gonna lie the pickups are just wrong... definitely replace. Now the atx, the woods on this guitar just sing sustain, along with the string thru construction. The necks ebony wood is very fluent, and really speaks for itself in your tone, but its gritty. Really gritty, lead players will really wanna take their time getting used to this type of wood, which is most likely not a problem for most, but just wanted to put that out there. The scale on this guitar is extended, which i like more for the stability of the 8th string, but I also don't have big or flexible hands for that extension, so for some its trouble. And the pickups, s**t theyre blackouts! I honestly believe you cant go wrong with that set, you can achieve any sound with eq tweaking. My conclusion is: if you have smaller hands than most or want some more simplicity to do leads, get the rga8 and switch the pickups immediately! If you got bigger flexible hands, or are more of a rythym (is that how you spell it?) player and want your riffs to really sing out (in other words INTENSE), then the atx is the way to go.

anne

No privacy hedge.
Reaction score
I live in a small village in Ireland and trying these guitars out is like blood from stone
buy it or not buy it kinda situations, music shops dont order in stuff just to try

was wondering where these guitars are made from now, I know that a lot of companies have been moving their assembly

RGA8, Indonesia; C-8 Hellraiser/Blackjack, South Korea. First time I tried a C-8 was at Rose Morris in London, and I resolved to buy one back in the States from that. If you're ever in London I would drop by there.

Athlaos

I play like I live
Reaction score
Feeling comfortable while playing is for chumps. But I do like my Kelly for comfort, not that I would ever complain about my Rhoads.

Just don't go with the JS or RX series, as they tend to be Headstock heavy.

Those problems are easily fixed by moving the strap button. I had the neck button moved on all four of my guitars, now they are perfectly balanced.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I've had an ESP SV (very nice Rhoads copy) and a japanese Kelly. The Kelly was REALLY neck divey, but it was a bolt on... I imagine the neck through USA models would be much better. The SV was perfectly balanced and fine sitting unless you wanted to use the wang bar. The shapes make 'em all a bit cumbersome, but they look cool, especially the Rhoads, I just got rid of my SV in favor of a creamy Gibson Les Paul Custom... I'm not even a big fan of Randy Rhoads to be honest, but I guess we have similar taste in guitars. I'd just go with what looks coolest to you, that's kind of the *point* of these pointy guitars, otherwise I'd highly recommend sticking with a more conventional shape.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I like them all although my favoruite is the Warrior. It depends on which you find comfortable.
Also note, the Rhoads has a 3rd fret .790" to .850" 12th fret neck shape (Standard profile), whereas the King V, Kelly and Warrior have a 2rd fret .775" to .835" 12th fret neck shape (Speed profile).

wildchild

Reaction score
RGA8, Indonesia; C-8 Hellraiser/Blackjack, South Korea. First time I tried a C-8 was at Rose Morris in London, and I resolved to buy one back in the States from that. If you're ever in London I would drop by there.

I heard that the south korea factory got shut down, are all the production schecters made there?

')