Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

clopstyle

Reaction score
Apex2. I play mine in drop G#, definitely prefer it to my sc607b. I would suggest trying out both and seeing which is more comfortable for you. If pickups are a concern, you have many more aftermarket options with the Apex2.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
I really like my apex2. The routed bridge is really nice.
But yer the PAF7 pickups wont hit your amp like an EMG will.
If you plugged them both in side by side the PAF 7's will sound weak, well they did to my ears. Basically not overdriving or pushing your amp. Meaning you would need to boost the gain of the amp which is not a problem, but it might be depending on your rig and desired tone etc.

If $ is no issue. Get an apex2 and put BKP Painkillers in it.

Hope this helps.

Joel

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
The PAF 7s are LOWER output pickups especially compared to an 81, but they are definitely not VERY low.

Well that completely depends on where you draw the line.. you talk as if there's some kinda of defined line when something becomes 'very' :nuts: :lol:

For my taste, they are very low output. And as Matt said, they're DiMarzio's lowest output humbuckers for 7's.. and I can't think of any lower output 7 string pickups off the top of my head

clopstyle

Reaction score
I really like my apex2. The routed bridge is really nice.
But yer the PAF7 pickups wont hit your amp like an EMG will.
If you plugged them both in side by side the PAF 7's will sound weak, well they did to my ears. Basically not overdriving or pushing your amp. Meaning you would need to boost the gain of the amp which is not a problem, but it might be depending on your rig and desired tone etc.

If $ is no issue. Get an apex2 and put BKP Painkillers in it.

Hope this helps.

Joel

+1 The difference between the two on my Triple Rec is moving the gain from 6(w/ EMGs) to 7.5(w/ PAF 7s)

matisq

Reaction score
Apex2. I play mine in drop G#, definitely prefer it to my sc607b. I would suggest trying out both and seeing which is more comfortable for you. If pickups are a concern, you have many more aftermarket options with the Apex2.

Eh,

This in not possible :/ They don't have this guitars even in internet store here in Poland right now.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
well then. the question is. do you a buy pickups with a shit guitar, or a guitar with shit pickups. you decide :)

matisq

Reaction score
well then. the question is. do you a buy pickups with a shit guitar, or a guitar with shit pickups. you decide :)

So you mean that LTD is this shitty guitar? I think in this price range is really nice guitar with good equipment.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
So you mean that LTD is this shitty guitar? I think in this price range is really nice guitar with good equipment.

it was a joke:wavey: my opinion is totally biased. i sold my soul to ibanez years ago:evil: LTD doesnt "do it" for me. i would rather buy the ibanez and replace pups if you found it IMPOSSIBLE to get a useable to from it stock.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i was kinda saying this went from a guitar opinion thread to what pups are better. it veered from the "fact of the matter" i would prefer an ibanez guitar with questionable pups over a ltd I WOULD NEVER PLAY with pups i like.

matisq

Reaction score
I played Ibanez but a loooong time ago and it was 6.
I heard that Neck of LTD is quite conformable. Currently I have Epiphone SG so I think neck profile my guitar is more similar to LTD than Ibanez. So my conclusion is: I will be not disappointed (hopefully).
Despite this fact I like how LTD looks over the Ibanez:D

I was conceding Apex2 because it's loaded in "non stock Ibanez" passive pickups.
If I have to guy guitar, where I need replace pickups It would be Ibanez RGA7.

jl-austin

Reaction score
My 2 cents,

I have found a guitar with lower output (cleaner) pickups can actually sound heavier than a guitar with a crazy output pickup. When you start tuning that low, you almost have to start thinking of the guitar like a bass. A bass will sound much deeper clean than it will distorted.

As far as which I would choose, that is a really good question. I am not a fan of active pickups, so, that makes the LTD a very hard choice for me.

matisq

Reaction score
So maybe Ibanez RGA7 and change pickups for something else is good idea?

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
My vote is for the LTD MH-417 over the Apex 2. I played a few Apex 2's and was not impressed with it. It felt like an RG7321 IMHO, and the PAF 7's were totally weak.

The reasons I say the ESP LTD MH-417 is not only becuase I am an avid ESP owner, user and collector, but because I like the feel, playability and tone of these more than the Ibanez. The EMG's will be well suited for what your playing, and it's got a neck-thru body as compared to a bolt-on of the Apex 2, so you'll have a much thicker, more aggressive tone in comparison.

As for an RGA7 and a pickup swap, you'd be looking at either the EMG's or the Phase 2 Blackouts for a direct-fit replacements. You CAN get a better set of DiMarzio's, Duncan's, BKP's, ect, but you'll need new pickup rings from Dave @ Frets On The Net to make that swap... Like I said, my vote is the ESP.

matisq

Reaction score
I will try to find any of this guitars in my area an give a try. But I think that LTD is a really good piece of wood :)

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Ive always loved the MH series so I would go with that. I love my Ibby but would still love an MH

crush_taylor

Reaction score
I've got the MH-417 and like it a lot. Mind you I've never really played any guitars much higher end than it, but I think it plays really well and looks good. I just did the 18 volt mod and it really helps it out in my opinion. I had been thinking of doing a pickup upgrade, but will keep it as is for now...

ESP_0bsessed

Reaction score
Basically stuck between (BOTH PRISTINE CONDITION)
same price, Agile Interceptor pro 727 in Blue or
a jackson COW7 in Silverburst,
i both love the looks, both have there pro's and con's
(Jackson only 1 pickup)
Agile (made in china)
and pro's
(Agile 27 inch scale)
jackson (silverburst, made in japan)
Help me out guys?

Latest posts

')