Votes: 22 53.7%

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
K 7 and 1527 are the same as versatiloty IMO,but the k7 wins by a big margin. Btw how much is your friend asking?

HeavyRiffin

Reaction score
500, but he's buying my jcm 900 cab so I'd probably offer 350 and cab!

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
k7 w/maple fret board, no inlay, galaxy finish>1527m>k7 BG> k7 FB> 1527> dean vendetta> fender alex gregory 7 prototype on ebay for 16000 dollars.

dantel666

Reaction score
I am getting quite a bit of money in the coming weeks due to graduation and I am planning on buying my first 7 with some of the money I am receiving. i have 3 guitars in mind; an Ibanez rg7321, an ibanez rg7320 or a Schecter hellraiser special. i like each of these for various reasons. i mainly want to see if it would be worth getting the rg7320 over the 7321. this is my first 7 so I'll probably end up investing in a higher end 7 in the future. this purchase is more for me to explore what i can do with 7 strings. i play primarily metal but i love mucking around on the clean channel and creating chord progressions that way and doing ambient-esque stuff.

any opinions would be helpful.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I want a really, really nice 7, and I've narrowed my choices down to two guitars specifically.

The APEX100
Ibanez.com | Electric Guitars | APEX100
And the UV777.
Ibanez.com | Electric Guitars | UV777
I play primarily djent (don't shoot me D:) in drop A#. They're the same price, and I can't decide which I want. Either way I'm going to replace the bridge pickup (probably with a D-Sonic or a CL). I only use the neck pickup for cleans and sometimes for tapping stuff. They have the same neck dimensions...As far as tone is concerned, the only difference I can think of is while the UV777 is basswood, the Apex100 is alder...I'm not sure how different those are from each other.

This might help with your decision...

From Jemsite
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

Basswood:
Basswood is a soft wood with tight grains. Its relatively inexpensive of all the usual guitar woods, and it’s easy on router bits in the factory, easy to sand, and easy to seal and finish. The softness of basswood means that sharp highs are dampened and smoothened. That helps offset the tinny sound associated with knife edged tremolo contacts. The softness also fosters a weaker low end. It’s light in weight, but not because of large pores. Rather it’s low in mass overall. Deep, breathy sub-lows aren’t resonated in Basswood. The reduction in these outer frequencies leaves the mids pronounced in a hypothetical response curve. Its very suitable for the typical guitar range, and very suitable for lead guitar, because of its pronounced “out front” sound. Complex overtones are muted along with the highs leaving a strong fundamental tone.

Production notes: Japanese factories like Ibanez seem to get a tan colored, more uniform Basswood while other Asian factories get a more flawed yellowish basswood. And there seems to be a big difference in tone. A clearer, darker Basswood should produce more sound, while the yellowish lower grade seems to have more of the undesirable tonal qualities of Poplar. A hardtail emphasizes the reduced dynamics of the outer frequencies.

Alder:
Alder is light in weight with soft tight pores like Basswood. But there is a large swirling grain pattern to it with harder rings and sections. So imagine a Basswood type texture but with harder rings peppered throughout. That adds to the stiffness, and the complexity of the tones. It retains more of the highs that Basswood softens, but also gives some room to the lows. You have a broader spectrum of tones, which leads to the perception of a little less mids than Basswood.

Production notes: Not much difference between factories, production.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Schecter 8-string(Solo,Devil or Avenger, still deciding) or Ibanez RGA8

As much as I love Ibanez, two threads from the ERG forum scared me off RGA8's (Ironically, I have an RGA7)...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...ually-broke-where-can-i-find-replacement.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/113988-yet-another-dead-rga8.html

These instances may not be indicative of all RGA8's but it was enough for me not to buy one for myself.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I am getting quite a bit of money in the coming weeks due to graduation and I am planning on buying my first 7 with some of the money I am receiving. i have 3 guitars in mind; an Ibanez rg7321, an ibanez rg7320 or a Schecter hellraiser special. i like each of these for various reasons. i mainly want to see if it would be worth getting the rg7320 over the 7321. this is my first 7 so I'll probably end up investing in a higher end 7 in the future. this purchase is more for me to explore what i can do with 7 strings. i play primarily metal but i love mucking around on the clean channel and creating chord progressions that way and doing ambient-esque stuff.

any opinions would be helpful.

I can't speak for the Schecter, but the as far two Ibanez models, you may want to ask yourself "To trem or not to trem?" To me, the RG7320 and 7321 are pratically the same guitar, with the trem on the 7320 being the only difference. If you are accustomed to playing with trems, then the near $120 difference may not be a big deal. Both are pretty soild guitars, but to maximize your enjoyment of guitar, I would suggest swapping out the pickups with DiMarzio's or SD Blackouts.

dantel666

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Schecter, but the as far two Ibanez models, you may want to ask yourself "To trem or not to trem?" To me, the RG7320 and 7321 are pratically the same guitar, with the trem on the 7320 being the only difference. If you are accustomed to playing with trems, then the near $120 difference may not be a big deal. Both are pretty soild guitars, but to maximize your enjoyment of guitar, I would suggest swapping out the pickups with DiMarzio's or SD Blackouts.

I prefer the feel of trems when playing. ive never owned a guitar with a trem so i think it might be my a good first guitar for a 7 and a trem equip guitar. i am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to setting them up and changing strings on them having help my fellow guitar playing friends at school with it so i dont think it would be a big deal.

also if i end up not enjoying the trem how hard would it be to block the edge zero?

dantel666

Reaction score
From my understanding, blocking a trem is not difficult to do. UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - How to Block Tremolo? However, I do admit that I never owned a guitar with a trem, so I can only comment from what I've heard. I've only checked out a few guitars with trems at GC and Sam Ash.

alright thanks for the input on that topic, I am sure I will find a way to do it if need be.

onto a new topic. what dimarzio pickups would you suggest? if i really like the guitar i am planning on adding a single coil in the middle position because on my 6 string ibanez i love the clean sound i get in the 4th position with the neck split and the middle single coil. in general i would need a pickup that is clear sounding in the bridge since i like playing big chords and things like that. im not to worried about the neck pickup as of right now.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
IMO, you'll need a low output pickup to bring out the clean sound that you are looking for. The DiMarzio's I'd suggest would be (in this order) the PAF7, The Air Norton 7, and the LiquiFire 7. Most people would put a LiquiFire in the neck, but LiquiFires are interchangeable and I think they are underrated as bridge pickups.

dantel666

Reaction score
IMO, you'll need a low output pickup to bring out the clean sound that you are looking for. The DiMarzio's I'd suggest would be (in this order) the PAF7, The Air Norton 7, and the LiquiFire 7. Most people would put a LiquiFire in the neck, but LiquiFires are interchangeable and I think they are underrated as bridge pickups.

i figured those would be the ones that would be suggested. never hurts to get multiple opinions right?
thanks man.

Reaction score
lo-pro kills edge pro. K7 for the win. in fact, the lo-pro trem is SO good that im ditching my beloved rg1527 (its an amazing guitar, dont be fooled) for an rg7620 (trading with a family member). but 500 for a K7?????? snag that shit!!!! those usually go for well over a thousand

')