Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
--I'm looking to possibly upgrade from a 7 string to a 8 string. I play mostly metal and one of the jam groups i'm in cover alot of Deftones.. Since Carpenter has said he is lovin' 8's and wants to use them more im thinking about getting/trying one as well.
--HERES the question... which is better the ESP LTD SC-608B (Baritone) OR ESP LTD SC-208 (standard)????

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

degge

Reaction score
I have a hard time deciding what guitar to pick here:

IBANEZ ART120-WH - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige - cheapest.
Agile AL-3100 HSBF at RondoMusic.com
IBANEZ RGD320Z-BK - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige - do I need a Tremol-no for this if I'm not going to use the FR?

I love all of the looks. I'm just wondering what's most priceworthy. I plan on switching the pickups to Dimarzio CL/LF eventually. They're all in the pricerange 370-470 euro with shipment etc.

I'm thinking of Drop B tuning, might even go lower sometimes. Playing metal, obviously

crc0002

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about buying a new guitar withing the next month or so. I've narrowed it down to two guitars. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions or advice to offer. I'm also open to alternate suggestions. Money is not an issue. Has anyone played either of these? Or both of them? If you could pick either one which would it be and why?

1.) Ibanez Herman Li EGEN18 Signature Electric Guitar and more Signature Model Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

2.) Music Man John Petrucci BFR 7 Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

If Herman Li's 7 string was available I'd get on it so fast :D, but the 6 is pretty bad ass too.

mountainjam

Reaction score
The Petrucci is obviously a higher end guitar, but I prefer the feel of an s series. The only obvious advice for you is try them both out. End of discussion.

Dayn

Reaction score
I'd go with the Ibanez, because it's purple and it has Ibanez specs which I find exceedingly comfortable (and it's cheaper!). Though I'd rather a seven-string, and the EBMM is both a seven-string and made of alder... so in all honesty, unless you really preferred a six over a seven, I'd (nominally regretfully) go with the EBMM out of those two.

Reaction score
I can't say I have ever played any JP EBMM guitars, but I own an EGEN18 and it is my BABY. Love it to death. Can't recommend it enough.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I did not dig the EGEN at all when I played it. I played an EBMM Silo and an EGEN at the same sitting and the EBMM won on all counts. I can't say anything about the BFR range, but I'd certainly go any EBMM in confidence myself.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I had a regular JP7 and it was super nice. The neck is very Ibanez-like, too thin for me actually. Definitely the best tremolo I've used so far, there's no question about that at all.

I have to say, though. I personally cannot stand signature guitars. It didn't used to bother me, but it really does now. I'd give Suhr or another custom shop a look.

Reaction score
I have to say, though. I personally cannot stand signature guitars. It didn't used to bother me, but it really does now. I'd give Suhr or another custom shop a look.

I agree with this, though in my case all of the gold hardware was replaced with cosmo black so I feel like it makes it much more personal. Not exactly the easiest option, though.... :lol:

Dayn

Reaction score
As an afterthought, go with the Ibanez because that bridge is sexy as hell. If that bridge was a lady, I'd do my damndest and probably make a silly arse out of myself trying to court her.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I would actually go for the Music Man.

The Ibanez has a locking bridge and the MM doesn't, so the MM is less of a pain in the arse when it comes to changing strings or re-tuning, and the tuning stability is just as good because of the locking tuners. I've played a BFR before and it was unbelievably good.

Unless, of course, you want a hand grip carved to the exact measurements of Herman Li's hand, in which case the BFR falls short somewhat.

soliloquy

Reaction score
i'm not sure if all petruccis are built the same, and to the same specs, but if they are, i'd go with the ibanez.
nothing wrong with the petruccis, but if its a metal guitar designed for sweeps, shred, bends, taps etc, then the small frets on petruccis would get in the way. built quality on petruccis would be second to none though...

and if all petruccis aren't the same, and they put different, taller frets on different models, then ignore whatever i said.

still, the best advice is to check out the guitars first

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
the JP7 i own simply stomps on every prestige or signature ibanez i've played in every single aspect. haven't played a LACS or J-Custom ibby yet, but the EBMM is definitely a better overall guitar than any list ibanez

also, the price for a signature ibanez is plain ridiculous, imo.

ghost2II2

Reaction score
If you are even still having the slightest difficulty deciding, then let me throw my vote into the Petrucci hat. The Li's aren't even in the same universe.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I'd probably get a Ibanez J-Custom 7 string if I were you.

If you like Ibanez and you like 7 strings.

I'd go for a J-Custom.
IBANEZ J CUSTOM RG8427

Though I've never played one, but I hear they are great instruments.

BFR's are cool and all. I've enjoyed some of the ones I've played.
But I don't know if I'd play one all the time.

I've played the cheaper EGEN Herman Li series and it was pretty cool guitar, so I'm sure that one can only be better.

But out of those two I'd take the BFR 7 string.

It's up to you really in the end (feels better personally, what you want, what feels good, tone, and etc.), but I'd check out a J-Custom too if you haven't already.

CFB

Reaction score
They are very different so you'll have to pick what type of tone and feel you're trying to capture. I prefer the sound of the BFR, but that's just me. Both play great.

')