Votes: 20 51.3%

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

Tomservo

Reaction score
I have some questions concerning build quality of certain guitars. I am interested in buying a multi scale 8 string and have found a few options but the ones I’ve found it seems there is not enough info or they have spotty QC. The models I found are the Ibanez Iron Label RG8MH the Jackson SLAT8 or an Agile. Again I’m just looking for build quality, I can get a general idea for the feel by playing similar models but I live in the middle of nowhere so when I get to a bigger city usually I have to make assumptions based on models from the same company because they rarely have what I want because even the big city is not that big. Thank you.

Last edited:

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
I played a SLAT8 at a guitar center in Atlanta, I thought it was pretty darn nice for an Indo-made guitar. I have also heard the Iron Labels were spotty on QC but haven't experienced one myself. Ibanez seems to be slipping on the Prestige line as well, that Ghost Fleet Blue over burled top model -- every single one I've seen has had loose chunks of wood filler in the top.

Tomservo

Reaction score
That is less than ideal. I’ve heard good things about the Jackson but wasn’t sure about it. I also heard about Hapas guitars does anyone have experience with them? Thanks for your reply.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OfficerRaichu

Reaction score
I have some questions concerning build quality of certain guitars. I am interested in buying a multi scale 8 string and have found a few options but the ones I’ve found it seems there is not enough info or they have spotty QC. The models I found are the Ibanez Iron Label RG8MH the Jackson SLAT8 or an Agile. Again I’m just looking for build quality, I can get a general idea for the feel by playing similar models but I live in the middle of nowhere so when I get to a bigger city usually I have to make assumptions based on models from the same company because they rarely have what I want because even the big city is not that big. Thank you.

I just bought an SLAT7 FF. Then build qua lot was top notch for the price. Ithe plays amazing and surprisingly held tune with stock tuners (I upgraded to Hipshot since then, personal preference.)
I haven't had any real complaints yet. The strings Jackson puts on their guitars from the factory are disappointingly light gauges, but that''a n easy thing to change. I've played older mid range ibanez, high end schecters, Ltd SC 7s, and a few other 7s, but I'm digressing. I made the switch to Jackson for most of my guitars and haven't looked back. The SLAT7 is my favorite ERG to date, and I don't think the 8 string version will let you down.

Tomservo

Reaction score
I’ve heard some good things about the agile pendulum pro does anybody have any experience with these. I apologize for the frequent questions but I am very new to ERG’s and am not familiar with a lot of thee brands. I know that agile are generally considered ok by what you pay for it and it’s shortcomings are forgivable because of the price. From what I’ve seen their higher end ones are comparable to other brands.

khm

Reaction score
I
That is less than ideal. I’ve heard good things about the Jackson but wasn’t sure about it. I also heard about Hapas guitars does anyone have experience with them? Thanks for your reply.
I have a custom built Hapas - which I got the tail end of last year (you can find my review) - It's a solid instrument, and I really love the neck size and shape. I have a few issues, build time was twice as long as quoted with little or no updates. The bridge is slightly off centre, which although doesn't affect playability its really irritating - and it has now got slight fret sprout, which is worrying - as although the weather has been pretty cold, all my other guitars are just fine. I Have contacted them about this and they are getting back to me about it, so I shall see what happens and report back.

I have owned a few Jacksons over the years, and to be honest I have never had an issue with them - great guitars, no body / fret issues, but I have not tried a new one since 2013 or so.

Grumul

Reaction score
Hi all,

So after much deliberation I've narrowed it down to two guitars. Decided to skip the evertune system (for now) so that also made me think that I should just lower my budget in general to a ballpark of up to 1000 euros.

1) Solar A2.7 – Trans Blood Red Matte.
vs
2) PRS SE SVN Seven BC 2018.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Solar since the custom 5 pickups really caught my ear (over youtube but still...) and I do prefer the looks of the Solar over the PRS (not by much though). The only issues with the Solar is that the shape is a little too pointy (which I can totally live with) and while the pickups are based on the custom 5's (which I really like) I couldn't really find videos of the solar sounding similar to the custom 5 (in Keith Merrow's comparison vid). It's probably all about the EQ though so I'm not super worried about that. That's just me being nitpicky I hope.

The problem with the PRS is that I can't find anything to dislike about it. The shape is sort of basic but it works. Only thing I could find was someone saying that the glossy neck finish makes it a bit sticky but I'm sure that's it's not a big deal. I'm also not super impressed with how it sounds. It sounds good don't get me wrong but it's not wowing me. It could be youtube though.

Schecter Banshee Elite-7 CEP was an option as well for a while but I just can't justify the price difference between the Banshee and the Solar and Solar's pickups are already what I'm after (again if youtube is not deceiving me) so that's a huge plus. The PRS is at least in the middle ground price wise.

So this is where I'm at. Share your thoughts pls.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
If you can get one, go for the Solar. Production numbers are small but the pickups sound better. The custom 5 is an awesome pickup for gainy tones if that's what you really like. The PRS is designed to appeal to a wider audience but they sacrifice on the pickups - they don't have a lot of character, and I've found that particularly true with the 7-string models. Every time I played anything from the PRS SE line I thought, I'd like to start by replacing the pickups - so that's an added cost.

EDIT: Even with it being "Duncan Designed" - meaning it's the Korean made equivalent, I would still go for the Solar for pickups that have some more pep.

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hi all,

So after much deliberation I've narrowed it down to two guitars. Decided to skip the evertune system (for now) so that also made me think that I should just lower my budget in general to a ballpark of up to 1000 euros.

1) Solar A2.7 – Trans Blood Red Matte.
vs
2) PRS SE SVN Seven BC 2018.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Solar since the custom 5 pickups really caught my ear (over youtube but still...) and I do prefer the looks of the Solar over the PRS (not by much though). The only issues with the Solar is that the shape is a little too pointy (which I can totally live with) and while the pickups are based on the custom 5's (which I really like) I couldn't really find videos of the solar sounding similar to the custom 5 (in Keith Merrow's comparison vid). It's probably all about the EQ though so I'm not super worried about that. That's just me being nitpicky I hope.

The problem with the PRS is that I can't find anything to dislike about it. The shape is sort of basic but it works. Only thing I could find was someone saying that the glossy neck finish makes it a bit sticky but I'm sure that's it's not a big deal. I'm also not super impressed with how it sounds. It sounds good don't get me wrong but it's not wowing me. It could be youtube though.

Schecter Banshee Elite-7 CEP was an option as well for a while but I just can't justify the price difference between the Banshee and the Solar and Solar's pickups are already what I'm after (again if youtube is not deceiving me) so that's a huge plus. The PRS is at least in the middle ground price wise.

So this is where I'm at. Share your thoughts pls.

My vote is for the Solar. Simply because I like supporting Ola and the more all of you guys buy those guitars the more options he gets to release and I'm still waiting on some nicer 7 options like what the 6-strings come in. hahahaha

Really though, I prefer the neck on the Solar (mine is a Washburn Solar but basically the same) over the PRS SVN (which I also own).
I also prefer the pickups, the 5-way toggle (instead of 3 with push-pull switch), the contouring of the body (more comfortable to sit with for sure), and the weight.
Can't comment on the tuners though since I have the EverTune version.

Grumul

Reaction score
@MoonJelly Thanks for your input!
@LeviathanKiller Thanks for your input as well! Actually, I think you're the guy I saw saying that the glossy neck finish on the PRS is sticky, haha. By the way, since you have more than one guitar (at least lol) mind telling me how the sustain compares on a guitar with an evertune vs without one? Ideally it would be a solar with an evertune vs a solar without one but Ola is ignoring this request of mine :(

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
@MoonJelly Thanks for your input!
@LeviathanKiller Thanks for your input as well! Actually, I think you're the guy I saw saying that the glossy neck finish on the PRS is sticky, haha. By the way, since you have more than one guitar (at least lol) mind telling me how the sustain compares on a guitar with an evertune vs without one? Ideally it would be a solar with an evertune vs a solar without one but Ola is ignoring this request of mine :(

I got over the neck feel eventually on that PRS SVN. End up buying two more gloss neck guitars actually. Doesn't bother me that much BUT I rarely sweat while playing. YMMV

I did just a rough timing and the EverTune Solar sustained for about 7 or 8 seconds and my other hardtail/fixed bridges did about 10 seconds. They ARE all long scale lengths though. +1" minimum. The Solar is 25.5" and the other guitars I tried were 26.5" and 27". It doesn't bother me 99% of the time with what I play. In such a case, I'd just use another guitar if it wasn't long enough.

Last edited:

rok

Reaction score
Hello, i am looking for my first seven string. I have been torn between
Schecter SGR C-7
and
Harley Benton R-457MN WH Progressive Series.
so if anyone has any experience or thoughts please let me know.

binz

Reaction score
Ibanez RG8-WH
Pro: - Really like the white finish
Con: - Dunno, I might want to switch pickups like seymour duncan sentient/pegasus, I think I read its not easy to change them (at least w/o having it look stupid)
- no multiscale. Never played it but thinking about doing stretchy add9 chords on the higher strings the design seems to make sense

Ibanez RGMS8 (new low end multiscale just introduced this year)
Pro: Multiscale 27.2" - 25.5", passive Humbuckers apparently not that bad
Con: It's black. Was thinking about eventually someday giving it a refinish in some plain color (white, or Justin Lowe style green), but no clue how expencive this is (certainly couldnt do it myself), but then the metallic hardware is pretty ugly
- a little more expensive. Apparently they were 500 when they came out but now they are ~ 600 everywhere

so between those two its basically the question of Aestetics (white finish) vs. Practicality (multiscale). There is also this one but due to high price it is kind of already ruled out.

Agile Legacy 827
Pro: Beautiful, both finish and the headstock (I love reverse headstocks!)
Con: Price is 400$ + 200$ shipping + 19% tax and 5% customs onto everything = 758$ = 650 Euro so way more expensive all in all.

The shipping + tax problem for agiles also holds for used ones on reverb so they are unfortunately kind of out. If I was in the US I would not hestate on the decision.
In my location (Germany) the Harley Benton Fanned frets would be the rational / best choice, but I just find them so damn ugly I know I would not enjoy playing it.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Ibanez RG8-WH
Pro: - Really like the white finish
Con: - Dunno, I might want to switch pickups like seymour duncan sentient/pegasus, I think I read its not easy to change them (at least w/o having it look stupid)
- no multiscale. Never played it but thinking about doing stretchy add9 chords on the higher strings the design seems to make sense

Ibanez RGMS8 (new low end multiscale just introduced this year)
Pro: Multiscale 27.2" - 25.5", passive Humbuckers apparently not that bad
Con: It's black. Was thinking about eventually someday giving it a refinish in some plain color (white, or Justin Lowe style green), but no clue how expencive this is (certainly couldnt do it myself), but then the metallic hardware is pretty ugly
- a little more expensive. Apparently they were 500 when they came out but now they are ~ 600 everywhere

so between those two its basically the question of Aestetics (white finish) vs. Practicality (multiscale). There is also this one but due to high price it is kind of already ruled out.

Agile Legacy 827
Pro: Beautiful, both finish and the headstock (I love reverse headstocks!)
Con: Price is 400$ + 200$ shipping + 19% tax and 5% customs onto everything = 758$ = 650 Euro so way more expensive all in all.

The shipping + tax problem for agiles also holds for used ones on reverb so they are unfortunately kind of out. If I was in the US I would not hestate on the decision.
In my location (Germany) the Harley Benton Fanned frets would be the rational / best choice, but I just find them so damn ugly I know I would not enjoy playing it.

I don't recommend the Legacy series from Agile that much. I don't know the quality of the other two to know if it's on the same level or better or worse but I don't like mine a whole lot really. Could be because I hate TOMs normally but still. Septor/Intrepid/Interceptor ones are better and hard to beat.

binz

Reaction score
Thats good to know, thanks! I most probably wont be able to get an Agile anway though.

I found out that theres a shop in Germany that does refinishing for all in all about 200€ and it seems legit. For my German fellows: boeli musikhandel
So I asked my local shop if they can get the multiscale Ibanez to try out. If I like it I would take it and maybe eventually do a refinish. If I dont like it I would go for the white RG8.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Thats good to know, thanks! I most probably wont be able to get an Agile anway though.

I found out that theres a shop in Germany that does refinishing for all in all about 200€ and it seems legit. For my German fellows: boeli musikhandel
So I asked my local shop if they can get the multiscale Ibanez to try out. If I like it I would take it and maybe eventually do a refinish. If I dont like it I would go for the white RG8.

Agile is great when you can get them for their indicated price plus the $50 or less shipping they usually charge. Otherwise, I'd stick with a name brand that has more support behind it allowing you to exchange more easily should you get a dud.

If you've ever used Jet.com you'll notice that let you get a cheaper price by rejecting the right to free returns and other "extras" like that. That's what Agile as a brand is. It's a collection of guitars with various permutations (combos) of specs that other brands offer consistently but without the brand support overhead. I think it's exciting combing through their selection every two weeks or so and seeing what new random thing has come out since they're almost like semi-customs that constantly rotate out. But if you're not getting them at a good price, it's less fun because there's associated risk.

It sounds like you've got a good plan with that Ibanez. Be sure to post a NGD (New Guitar Day) post when you get it and ESPECIALLY if you have it refinished!

Kyle-Vick

Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.
Reaction score
I was offered a LTD Elite MII for $600, should I pick it up, and sell some stuff to offset the cost, or just wait and save up for a earlier ESP standard series with the “ESP” on the headstock? I always try to think about resale when I make purchases, just in case I have to unload stuff.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Having some trouble deciding between a few guitars for my next purchase. I decided I wanna step up from workhorses just once now that I’m financially able get my first serious high quality guitar in a couple weeks. I spent some time and testing in person figuring out what I want in my next guitar and browsed the market. My choices I narrowed down to are:

1. ESP USA Custom Horizon (Black quilt with String-thru TOM)

2. ESP Technical House custom with lawsuit les paul body and lawsuit jackson headstock shape (all black white binding, sharkin inlays and a floyd rose)

3. ESP Bolt On Horizon (TOM with stoptail with the knobs close to the bridge and the see thru color finish that shows the wood grain)

4. Ormsby Custom Hypemachine

5. USA Charvel (either a Joe Duplantier or a Star Reissue)

Apologies if this is too many guitars, it’s tough to make my mind up!