Votes: 20 51.3%

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

FenderBluesAAA

Reaction score
I'm stuck between getting an Agile Septor elite and a Jackson Slathx3-7. Both sound like a great value for the price. None of the differences bother me between the two. I wish the Jackson arch top was deeper and had smoother edges. If the Agile has a deeper and smoother arch, I would probably go with the agile but there isn't one around to try out. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
The Septor does not have very deep carve. Those two are actually very similar, weirdly the Jackson SLAT7 (FF) is a lot deeper and has more of a flat 'shelf' on the edge, of course it costs more.

The two you have in mind are decent starter 7s, so if you pick by the color you like best etc. you should get a good deal either way.

If the carved top is a must, disregard this next bit... I would say if your price point is 3-400 USD, buy a used Japan made RG7421BK... That blows both of those options away for the value you'll be getting. There's one on Reverb now.
https://reverb.com/item/14561527-ibanez-rg7421bk-1999-fuji-jen-japan

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I'm stuck between getting an Agile Septor elite and a Jackson Slathx3-7. Both sound like a great value for the price. None of the differences bother me between the two. I wish the Jackson arch top was deeper and had smoother edges. If the Agile has a deeper and smoother arch, I would probably go with the agile but there isn't one around to try out. Any help would be appreciated.

With the Agile, you'll get more quality for your money compared to the Jackson. The Jackson will be equivalent to one of the $300-400ish Agile Septors. The $600ish Elites are a step up and are on par with some of my $1200ish guitars. You have a chance to get something with a few flaws but 4/6 have no issues whatsoever. The two that do have issues, it's just cosmetic stuff. Nothing that was a deal breaker for me.

FenderBluesAAA

Reaction score
The Septor does not have very deep carve. Those two are actually very similar, weirdly the Jackson SLAT7 (FF) is a lot deeper and has more of a flat 'shelf' on the edge, of course it costs more.

If the carved top is a must, disregard this next bit... I would say if your price point is 3-400 USD, buy a used Japan made RG7421BK... That blows both of those options away for the value you'll be getting. There's one on Reverb now.
https://reverb.com/item/14561527-ibanez-rg7421bk-1999-fuji-jen-japan

They actually cost the same. The agile would be more expensive if I were to upgrade the pickups. The Jackson comes with sentient/nazgul pickups. I actually prefer the ibanez body with the forarm cut out but I haven't liked the lower end Ibanez guitars I've tried so I don't want to take the risk buying used and being stuck with it.

FenderBluesAAA

Reaction score
With the Agile, you'll get more quality for your money compared to the Jackson. The Jackson will be equivalent to one of the $300-400ish Agile Septors. The $600ish Elites are a step up and are on par with some of my $1200ish guitars. You have a chance to get something with a few flaws but 4/6 have no issues whatsoever. The two that do have issues, it's just cosmetic stuff. Nothing that was a deal breaker for me.

Oh, interesting! It sounds like the Agile is the better option. Now I'm considering the cheaper agiles with a pickup upgrade.

TheUnknownOne

Reaction score
Solar A2.7 (700€)
vs
Used Ibanez RGD2127z with Instrumental Pickups (750€)

Seems pretty simple but what would you do if you had to choose ? Given that I won't be able to return the used prestige if something goes wrong

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Solar A2.7 (700€)
vs
Used Ibanez RGD2127z with Instrumental Pickups (750€)

Seems pretty simple but what would you do if you had to choose ? Given that I won't be able to return the used prestige if something goes wrong

Solar. It's a solid choice and all the reviews I've seen point to that not a single dud has left the factory, which is SHOCKING for an Indo guitar. But Ola checks em all himself, and all you'd need is a setup and possible pickup change if his in-house set isn't to your liking.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Kramer Assault Plus vs a hardtail PRS SE (undecided which) for thrash metal rhythm guitar in D standard? Willing to swap pickups

I think both are made in Korea still

Right now I play an ESP Horizon but I'm looking for something with medium jumbo frets

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Kramer Assault Plus vs a hardtail PRS SE (undecided which) for thrash metal rhythm guitar in D standard? Willing to swap pickups

I think both are made in Korea still

Right now I play an ESP Horizon but I'm looking for something with medium jumbo frets
kramer is definitely more "trash" visually and reputationally, but idk if that is an important factor to you.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Anybody know how the fit, finish and QC is on the most recent Gibson Kramers? Spec wise it looks right, but should I be worried about ordering a dud?

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know how the fit, finish and QC is on the most recent Gibson Kramers? Spec wise it looks right, but should I be worried about ordering a dud?
I’d wait a bit so other people can take the hit and do the beta testing...I don’t trust Gibson right now

efiltsohg

Reaction score
I’d wait a bit so other people can take the hit and do the beta testing...I don’t trust Gibson right now

To clarify, I'm looking at the string-through Assault 220 Plus that they've been making for at least 4 years, not the upcoming 2019 version (reverse headstock, floyd rose). I haven't seen any horror stories about the Korean Kramers. The new ones are moving production to China

Just wondering if anybody has personal experience with current production Gibson Kramers (not Musicyo, not the initial 2008 Gibson Kramers). Very little posted online about them, and only seen positive reviews

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
C7 SLS Evil Twin vs. Hellraiser Hybrid C7?

Leaning toward the Evil Twin because of Fishman but I do like EMG although ive never tried the 56.

I like the quilted top on the Hellraiser better even though the 12th inlay is not my thing.

vanaheim_michael

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would love to have your opinion because I have a very hard time deciding which of these 2 guitars I should purchase.

Solar (the V):
solar-guitars-E-1.7FBB-V-1.7FBB@1400x1050.jpg

Ormsby:
ll-music-center-ormsby-metal-v-gtr7-run9-dahlia-black-1.jpeg

ll-music-center-ormsby-metal-v-gtr7-run9-dahlia-black-4.jpeg

Tried em both,

Ormsby

What I liked:
Fanfret was absolutely flawless
Love the "rhoads" design
More comfortable to play standing up
Pretty light
Comes with a case
Upper fret access was better than the Solar

What I didnt like:
Sound was not really my taste.
Didn't really like the bridge, felt a bit sharp and not super comfortable

Solar
What I liked:
The neck was a tad more comfortable to me than the neck of the ormsby
imho better sound than the Ormsby, right up my alley
Evertune
Love the inlay and simplicity of it

What I didnt like:
Pretty goddarn heavy.
Regular V shape less comfortable to play
Comes with gigbag

The difference is around 400 euro's and I tend more to the Ormsby but the Evertune really has me intrigued. I read alot about the Evertune and the people that I see talk about it and love the unit. (Ola, Devin, Jari & Teemu from Wintersun).

I play in Drop A and I like to really dig into the strings creating a unstable sound with my current 7 string (Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist 7). I put heavier strings on it and had it set up by the best guitar luthier I know but now the thickness of the string becomes uncomfortable for me (i put a .65 on it).

I play both Rhythm and Leads and really like that the Evertune takes the intonation and tuning to a perfect pitch.

What are your experiences with Solar and Ormsby guitars and with the Evertune?

For me now, I don't really have a preference towards one of the guitars. I really like them both but can't buy em both ofcourse.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Comfort usually wins it for me (especially on the neck).
I'll keep a less attractive guitar that has pickups I don't like and swap them later.
I won't keep a pretty guitar that sounds good but is uncomfortable for me to play.

The EverTune system is great but it adds a lot of weight as you can tell. I wouldn't want it on every guitar but it's cool to have some that simply never need tuning before they need string changing. I sometimes have the issue of hitting too hard and causing that string to go out-of-pitch. It helps with that quite nicely.

If this is going to be your main guitar or one of them, I'd probably get the Solar. It's neck is more comfortable for you and the EverTune is awesome to have.