Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Personally I'd go for the RGA, one of the best lines of guitars Ibanez has ever made IMO.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You had a MIJ Ibby, you deserve an MIJ Ibby.

Don't get me wrong the S2170 was a solid player, but to be honest it wasn't on par with the MIJ Prestige guitars, enough so that they soon discontinued the MIK Prestige guitars (which were only ever Saber models).

There are tons of MIJ RGs and Sabers out there which have three pickups and trems and will have quality on par with your RGA121.

ridealot100

Reaction score
I cancelled the S series after hearing all of this, and Ill know within the next hour if I will be getting a RG550 20th anniv. Reissue in Yellow that is in similar shape as my rga

Overall, im pretty stoked that they are willing to work with me.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I own an rga121 and have played a s2170 multiple times, both fucking awesome. I really don't think you could go wrong with either, or the 550. :yesway:

lDEATHl

ss.org illRegular
Reaction score
personally, i like the ebony fretboard and the blackouts over the rosewood and emg's. but the hellraiser has inlays and more versatility with the coil taps. there is no other way for me to break it down :wallbash:
any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated, thanks.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Hello again SS.orgers,

I recently sold a couple unneeded musical objects, an Ibanez Gio 7 (christmas present, I was about to buy a 7321...need I say more?) and a Marshall MG cab after upgrading to a Mesa 2x12.

Now I'm looking for a new 7 string of higher quality, with a NICE trem that I can use and abuse. I was looking at RG7620, RG1527, C7 Hellraiser and the LoomisFR sig.

I put up an ad in the FS/Buying/Trading Guitars Section and have gotten 2 REALLY great replies.

One forum member offered me a 1527 w/EP trem, another a LoomisFR sig.

I've heard from a couple people that the EP trem didnt really hold up, even from Brandon Jacob-Mutiny Within.

And then there's the active pickup thing with the loomis, which honestly I'm okay with actives, it just limits choice, unless I go with active casings for passives.

I babble alot but I think I got my point across :nuts:

Currently Loomis or 1527? or wait for something else? I'll say that the Loomis and 1527 are 1/4 of 100 close in terms of price.

Thanks,
Jacob:shred:

EDIT: Not sure why I NEVER see the VS thread my bad. Thanks Mod for moving it, still getting used to this forum. Love it though :)

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
Agile Interceptor 727 vs Jackson COW 7

So, which do you think is better? :)

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't knew there was a section for "VS Threads".

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Since I have never played either, I have to go with a choice of collective knowledge and aesthetics. Obviously the Agile will be more versatile. LFR, Dual Actives, and a longer scale. Not to say the longer scale will add any playing benefits other than note clarity. But the COW is very limited in its abilities. Single EMG, TOM bridge. That's about all it has to offer. Neither would be a bad choice, but I would go with the 727.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
Since I have never played either, I have to go with a choice of collective knowledge and aesthetics. Obviously the Agile will be more versatile. LFR, Dual Actives, and a longer scale. Not to say the longer scale will add any playing benefits other than note clarity. But the COW is very limited in its abilities. Single EMG, TOM bridge. That's about all it has to offer. Neither would be a bad choice, but I would go with the 727.

isn't the quality a very important factor? I mean, the Interceptor is Korean and the COW is Japanese, isn't it? Also, regarding I prefer TOMs to trems and I can get the COW cheaper, do you think the COW is the best option for me? Also, the Agile has a LFR.. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hey!

I own a Dean rc7x wich is my only 7-string, but I need to get a new one since i need two on every gig. I like the Dean guitar thou, the neck is great and i love the EMG:s, but it would make me more satisfied to have another one, instead of just buying the same guitar in a different color. You probably know what i mean!

How is the Jackson slat3-7 compared to the Dean? I seem to like bolt-on necks, but on the other hand i've read so many good things about the Jackson's neck and I've played some jackson 6-strings that i really enjoyed.

It's hard to find the Jackson slat3-7 here in Sweden so please help me out if you can!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey!

I own a Dean rc7x wich is my only 7-string, but I need to get a new one since i need two on every gig. I like the Dean guitar thou, the neck is great and i love the EMG:s, but it would make me more satisfied to have another one, instead of just buying the same guitar in a different color. You probably know what i mean!

How is the Jackson slat3-7 compared to the Dean? I seem to like bolt-on necks, but on the other hand i've read so many good things about the Jackson's neck and I've played some jackson 6-strings that i really enjoyed.

It's hard to find the Jackson slat3-7 here in Sweden so please help me out if you can!

Jackson: Thicker neck (anything is thicker than a RC7x neck :lol:), bigger frets, compound 12-16" radius, rosewood board and worse neck access (again, anything has worse access than a RC7x), same pickups and bridge.

They're very, very comfortable guitars. You may try to look for a 6-string SLAT and try it out. It can be much easier to find and it's essentialy the same guitar with a string missing.

suwey_666

Reaction score
I'm looking at these 2 guitars. The ESP looks good but I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and pay the extra for the Schecter which is a fucking beauty? Anyone had experience with both of these guitars?
Also as a cheap affordable guitar does anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez RGA7? Don't know if I can trust Ibanez pickups! Basically looking for a good value fixed bridge 7.
Any advice will be much appreciated
Cheers

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
i will probably get both if they convince me, but for now, i dont know:

Agile Interceptor Pro 725 MN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

that beauty with maple OMG zOMG!111!
25.5" because i think 27" over 7 is too much to start with although i have a baritone 6 string. (i think because of the new string that make stretches longer too)

or should i get.. this beauty?:

Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

zOMG!1! hahaha

need help, i always LOVED to have a maple fretboard, dunno why... i have only ebony or rosewood fretboards on all other guitars.
but thats why i always wanted a PGM Ibanez.. so cool!

but the other one is just badass and evil looking with the ebony fretboard.

now: me stupid :wallbash: cannot get :wallbash:more stupid? :wallbash::wallbash:
ok doesnt work. but i still cannot decide ..

advantages / disadvantages of maple? does it have lack on it or get dirty fast or so?

thanks!

and ps: Technomancer, sorry for posting in the wrong threads !

groph

Reaction score
alright max i got one for you

im looking into these right here

ESP Standard Eclipse II Guitar | ESP Electric Guitars at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Standard Guitar at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitar at zZounds

im sure u can see im looking into getting a les paul but with the "hit or miss bull shit" gibsons been doing im not sure if i shoul go with the gibson. id love to get a 59 reissue but if the build ends up being shit, fuck that.

maybe u can school me on gibson a lil with your first hand experience. i personally think gibsons kick ass but from what ive been reading their quality control is shit. if thats tru, do u think im better off with the esp?

i'll be going on a "GAS" shopping spree soon cuz a landed a pretty good job so cash is no issue.

An ESP Standard Eclipse was the nicest guitar I've ever played. To me, they're a more playable Les Paul. I find Les Pauls to be very playable, too. I'd go with the ESP.

Considering

BC Rich Mark Rizzo VS Ibanez XPT707 (neck-wise)

I've played lot of Ibanez's and while I do think Wizard II necks are a bit too thin, I've never played any BC rich guitar except for probably some low-end BC rich in a guitar center. If the neck profile on the Rizzo is somewhat similar to my Schecter blackjack, I'd be sold on that one. :)

The low end B.C. Rich guitars are crap like any other low end guitar so obviously don't make any judgments based on those. I had a Bronze Warlock as my starter guitar and after a while the neck cramped my hand. I had an Ibanez RG7321 and loved the neck, but grew tired of the square shouldered feel of the Wizard neck. I don't mind the thin-ness of them, but I prefer slim, rounded necks like on ESP/LTD's, Jackson, and some Gibsons. I have an old Platinum Warlock now, and while its neck is fairly chunky, it's still comfortable. I don't really know what the necks are like on their higher end new guitars but I'm pretty much certain they're nothing like Ibanez necks. It might be similar to your Blackjack. I tried a Hellraiser once and the neck felt enormous and unplayable, and I tried an Omen 7 string and the neck felt really slim for whatever reason. My guess is that the B.C. Rich neck would be somewhat similar to the Schecter

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
the Japan made Ibanez has Bareknuckle pickups (warpig and painkiller), the tremolo is a edge pro 7 with a big brass block (to increase sustain), the price he asks now is 530 USD/400 EUR, but there are 2 days left (but np to get that thing i guess haha). incl. case!

the Agile, still dunno which one, maybe 25.5".. anyways, would need to be shipped to Europe and will be around 1200 USD in the end (max). incl. case!

what would you suggest me? i love the Agile`s look and the neck-through construction. the Ibanez is a bolt on.

HELP ME DECIDE FAST PLEASE hahaha ;D

horacexgrant

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I think this forum is right up my alley because I need a 7 string guitar because of my influences from Dream Theater, and other prog metal and neoclassical shenanigans.

I know this has been talked about before, but I would like fresh opinions please. S7420 vs. RG1527M.

Which one has more bang for the buck. $700 vs. $1200.

Is the $500 more worth it? I do also need to upgrade my amp, pedal, etc. so the extra money would help. But 7 string guitar is my number 1 priority.

What are the differences between the 2? Why is Prestige more expensive and how does it affect actual tone and performance?

I do indeed need a big time tremelo for tricks and downward bends, so that is important.

I shred a lot, and my hands are medium sized, so I need a thin neck and great frets/neck for shredding. If there are any other suggestions for 7 strings along these lines, please do tell.

Also, one of my biggest guitar dilemmas, if you would be so kind as to help:

I need that great metal/shred tone ala John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, etc.
HOW DOES ONE OBTAIN THIS TONE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YEARS AND CAN'T GET THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF GUITAR/PEDAL/AMP. haha
So far, the best tone I've gotten for shred/metal is a crappy Zoom pedal with the metal/shred sounding preset connected to an old Crate amp.

If you guys can help me out with any of these topics, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer the advice of expert shredders/metal players in the prog metal genre. Thanks a lot.
user_online.gif

Reaction score
Heil
i want buy new seven string
please help me
which seven string is better
1.esp horizon fr7
esp-horizon-fr-7-bk_2010081017433437.jpg

2.dean rc7g
DeanRC7GRustyCooleySign7Str.jpg

3.jackson slat3-7
SLAT3-7.png

4.ernie ball music man bfr7 (john petrucci)
mm_jp_bfr_7.JPG

mariotorrone

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm new to seven strings and I'm planning to buy a new guitar. After looking for a guitar that suited me best, I found these two models: the ESP Viper-417 and the Ibanez RG1527Z. Which one should I buy?
Imo, I prefer the Ibanez because of the presence of the tremolo (I don't have a guitar with a tremolo and I want to try out one), but I've heard that Floyd Rose bridges have some tuning issues on seven string guitars and this is making me uncertain of the purchase.
As regards the pickups, in case of purchasing the Ibanez I'd probably switch the original ones with some DiMarzio pickups: I'm very interested in the Petrucci ones, you know, the Crunchlab 7 and Liquifire 7. What do you think? Shoud I go for it?
Thanks!

')