Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
One thing you should be aware of is that a 7-string won't change anything tension-wise when compared to a 6. The advantage is actually that of having extra range, and not only in a "five more semitones to play with", but also easier and greater note selection possibilities in any given position along the fretboard.

My suggestion would be for you to try a few 7's, even outside the original selection, and see how you like the feel and tone of them - if you want more tension specifically, I can see the RGD's scale possibly appealing to you a bit more.

As for maple fingerboards, I love them. I have a 4th Jaden Rose on her way fitted with one, a couple Gary Kramers featuring a maple fb as well, and it does add a very interesting, "snappy" quality to your attack, as opposed to the sweeter sound of rosewood.

Answering the Loomis question, while I think it's a very cool guitar, thing to me is that a tendentially bright body wood, coupled with the "snap" of the maple board and EMG's on top of that, not to mention my "less than delicate" picking makes things a bit of a treblefest for me. I'm sure a set of Blackouts would help taming the high end fizz I can't help feeling there, but it's not like I'm lacking guitars at the moment, and I'm blessed to have builders providing me with lovely axes that need 0 work from me to be right where I want them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
Thanks again for the quick reply! I'll give the extended range (2127z) a good go tomorrow when I get to the shop. Chances are I will end up going with an Ibanez, Maybe even try and get my hands on a 1527M.

Sorry if I was unclear about the tension thing, I just meant that I could have the lower range without having to suffer slack strings. Might just be a bad set up on my part but when I put my SL3 in to B (BEADF#B) It was really floppy.

I don't have the set up (I'm using a valveking soon to be with a TS9) to appreciate a custom guitar or anything on the level of quality that you have in your arsenal but I am looking for something to get me started on my journey. It's a hobby to me and I don't have the cash or talent to justify a rig.

You have a very nice collection from what I can see, I'll keep you posted on the outcome, It might not be for a few weeks but I will do a NGD post when It arrives.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Trust me, man - Ibbies, if well taken care of and with very little mod work, are fantastic instruments, so I don't really feel you'll feel you ended up with some sort of "inferior" instrument by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
I see you're in Scotland, what guitar shop you planning on going to? Are you sure it has a 2127z? Because those things are becoming near impossible to find in the UK until more stock in April.
I phoned up several online guitar shops around the whole of the UK only to find one place having one [GuitarGuitar] so I snatched it up.

Anyway. I own two of those guitars you're thinking of, the 2127 and the Loomis. I have never played the 1527 but I imagine it isnt that different compared to the 2127.

The Loomis' wood combination of Ash and Maple does give you that very powerful, in your face attack that I actually love. If you're a lead guitarist, it cuts through all other instruments very well when soloing. I haven't changed the pickups from the 707's yet, I quite like them on the high end but I feel it needs a little more output in the lower register. Maybe a 707X or Blackouts. Anyway, still fantastic sounds, I dont feel it gets too fizzy at any point.

The body feels well built, nice and solid. It does suffer in the upper fret access though, becoming a little tight to get into the 24th fret position, the 2127 really really takes the lead with this one with its amazing cutaway. I can reach to the highest fret, no wood in my way and no problem.

The 2127z's pickups actually sounded surprisingly awesome. The high end of it is really clean and has pretty good clarity for Ibanez brand pick ups. It does suffer slightly in the lower end, being slightly muddy when tuned up to B. I am gonna put some BK Miracle Mans in there. But they aren't horrible, theyre actually pretty good pick ups that definitely hold their own against the EMG's. The basswood has plenty sustain and warmth. The Edge Zero is a damn good piece of equipment that is a lot more easier to adjust than an OFR.

Might I also point out the 2127 has one of the most beautiful slabs of Rosewood on mine. :bowdown:

Overall, both are fantastic guitars and you wouldnt go wrong no matter what you choose my friend.
Which one would I choose over the other? I can't pick, theyre both quite different from eachother and both exceptional instruments that I can't decide! :agreed:

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
I was going to try the 2127z in GuitarGuitar, perhaps the one you now own =P. I think I like the idea of the Loomis, Hows the neck in comparison to the Ibanez? Is it really that much thicker?

I'm glad you have both guitars as it means you can give an honest and accurate comparison! I'm a bit gutted to hear about the upper fret access on the Loomis, glad at the same time as it means I wont buy it and be disappointed. I can't try out the Loomis as I would have to get it shipped from the US/Europe (the UK no longer has the option of Loomis Schecters).

Now ... On to the questions, I apologise for this but would like to thank you in advance.

Schecter:
1. The maple neck/fretboard, does it play like a rosewood? Does it feel any different?
2. Does the extra attack from the wood produce better (more audible) harmonics in comparison to the 2127?
3. I have a Jackson Soloist with OFR and quite a thick neck (compared to my Ibanez S series), is this guitar in anyway similar to that?

Ibanez:
1. Does the benefit of the upper fret access make it a superior guitar for lead or are there features of the Loomis that make it hard to call?
2. Is the Edge-Zero trem system better than the OFR for flutters, dive bombs and squeels or does the ZP3 system stiffen it up.

Also, Do you think the 2127z with BKP's will beat the un modified Loomis, I have passives in my Jackson and they are immense. Having never tried active pups do you think modding the RGD2127 is worth the extra cash over the Loomis?

As I can't try out either guitar before I purchase it, I will be buying blind which I hate the idea of so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Choice:

1) Schecter Hellraiser C-7 (Fixed) - LOVE the 707 in the neck

2) Schecter BlackJack ATX C7 (never played a guitar with Blackouts)

My question comes down to really whether the Blackout in the bridge would out-peform the 707 in the neck...

I'm sure there's already hundreds of threads/posts about this, but I can't seem to find enough of a definite answer. Would the sound be so different that I could possibly regret buying the Hellraiser?

Thanks in advance

I'd get the ATX, because when in doubt, if you don't like the blackouts you can always swap them out for EMG's.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I was going to try the 2127z in GuitarGuitar, perhaps the one you now own =P. I think I like the idea of the Loomis, Hows the neck in comparison to the Ibanez? Is it really that much thicker?

I'm glad you have both guitars as it means you can give an honest and accurate comparison! I'm a bit gutted to hear about the upper fret access on the Loomis, glad at the same time as it means I wont buy it and be disappointed. I can't try out the Loomis as I would have to get it shipped from the US/Europe (the UK no longer has the option of Loomis Schecters).

Now ... On to the questions, I apologise for this but would like to thank you in advance.

Schecter:
1. The maple neck/fretboard, does it play like a rosewood? Does it feel any different?
2. Does the extra attack from the wood produce better (more audible) harmonics in comparison to the 2127?
3. I have a Jackson Soloist with OFR and quite a thick neck (compared to my Ibanez S series), is this guitar in anyway similar to that?

Ibanez:
1. Does the benefit of the upper fret access make it a superior guitar for lead or are there features of the Loomis that make it hard to call?
2. Is the Edge-Zero trem system better than the OFR for flutters, dive bombs and squeels or does the ZP3 system stiffen it up.

Also, Do you think the 2127z with BKP's will beat the un modified Loomis, I have passives in my Jackson and they are immense. Having never tried active pups do you think modding the RGD2127 is worth the extra cash over the Loomis?

As I can't try out either guitar before I purchase it, I will be buying blind which I hate the idea of so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Well, I have a Loomis, so I can say a few things about it.

First, Schecter necks are NOT as thick as everyone says they are, especially on my Loomis. It doesn't feel as chunky as their lower end stuff. Harmonics are bright and ever present, and notes literally fly off the fretboard (play it unplugged, you'll see what I mean).

Fret access for me--NOT a problem. I get to the 24th no issue. And so does Jeff Loomis. So... :lol:

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
I have watched a few YouTube vids of him playing it, I always have the same train of though:

"It can't sound that good, its just a guitar"

which is followed with the thought of burning all my guitars and going to a monastery to find inner peace.

Unfortunately as I need to buy before the 5th of January and the guitars wont be in stock till April, I will be buying blind.

The RGD2127 comes with a case from Thomann (probably where I will be buying it) were as the Loomis doesn't. Is it worth getting the Loomis with the cost of a case added on (about £940 + £60 = £1000) or the RGD2127 (£970).

My real question is ... if they were the same price (£30 is nothing for a better guitar). Which would be better for me, I play a lot of lead and some rhythm. Mostly Melodic/technical metal and sometimes finger picking (J.S. Bach and various other baroque pieces).

I have an OFR on my Jackson and love it, its so fluent and doesn't resist much, but I have never tried an edge.

exordium

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks, guys, I'm having the same dilemma (1527z vs. 2127z vs. Loomis). :squint:

This is helping a lot! :hbang:

potatohead

Reaction score
Hey guys

Currently in the market for a guitar in the $1200 range. I currently have a Carvin Bolt+ and a Korean RG, I love them both, so primarily looking at these two brands.

They are pretty different I guess, the Carvin being a neck through and the Ibanez (RG1420) a bolt on. I have owned both and don't really have a preference to either. If I option the Carvin the way I would want it, it comes out to about $1350 - 1400. The Ibanez is $1000. The Ibanez has a few worse things, such as "worse" body wood, rosewood board and boring inlays, but that's a small price to pay for $400 in savings.

How is the Edge Pro? I have only ever used OFR's... Is the string spacing the same? Is the Edge Pro a low profile trem?

Pics for clicks:

RG1420FRFB.gif

Becker-1.jpg

Oh, and they both do this :lol:

came.jpg

Meatbucket

The Minotaur
Reaction score
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I'm gonna be the guy who says to go with the Ibanez. But that's because I've never played a Carvin, and am an Ibby fanboy.

The Edge Pro is one of my favorite trems, and yes it is a low profile. As for the string spacing being the same for the EP and an OFR, I'm not too sure.

deathjazz89

Reaction score
I played an RG 550 before I bought my Carvin, which is waaaaaaaaay better than my Ibby.
The playability of it is insane! Everything sounds so much better when I play it, too. The Carvin's have a thicker neck, but I think you can opt for a thinner neck?

kevyp12

Reaction score
ok guys. so ive been saving up for a new guitar and am almost there :hbang: but i have an issue, im not sure which guitar i wanna get -__- ive narrowed it down to 2 guitars:

ibanez rg2228 8 string

or

ebmm jpx 7 string

i know the music man is $1000 more but im not sure whether the ibanez is worth it. any suggestions or experience with these two guitars?

potatohead

Reaction score
I played an RG 550 before I bought my Carvin, which is waaaaaaaaay better than my Ibby.
The playability of it is insane! Everything sounds so much better when I play it, too. The Carvin's have a thicker neck, but I think you can opt for a thinner neck?

Either neck is fine. I am selling my Soloist to make way for the new one, whatever I choose, because the neck is too wide (like, across the fretboard wide, not front to back) and I don't get along with it great. The Carvin neck is slightly thicker front to back than the Ibanez, but slightly thinner across the fretboard... I like them both.

I think what makes the most sense is to buy the Carvin and at least try it out, since it has the ten day trial. If I don't like it for whatever reason I can send it back and buy the Prestige then.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I wish I liked Carvin's shapes. The quality is very apparent, as is the flexibility. Well, I do love the Holdsworth models.

I'd say go with Carvin, having only played one, because you get exactly what you want.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna buy an 8 within a few weeks, and I'm having difficulties deciding on which one (big suprise since I'm posting in this thread :lol:)
Options are an RGA8 or an Agile septor 827
The specs are damn near identical I just want to know which is going to give me more bang for the buck. BTW I plan on swapping bkp's into whichever i get so pups aren't a factor.

Latest posts

')