Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Penis jokes are SO predictable nowadays... :p
But on a more serious note(no pun intended I SWEAR)...warm and fat? :D

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Okay let me put it this way...is it any good for jazz-fusion stuff?

CryptopsyAndWhatnot

Reaction score
for future reference, is the Scecter Omen 8 any good? The scale length is 26.5 apparently but I'm sure the pickups are garbage. Thinking about that or a Damien 7

Reaction score
Hi, I will be buying my first sevenstring soon. I have narrowed down my search to the Ibanez RG1527z (note the 'z') and the RGD2127z (i prefer Ibanez).

I know both are almost the same guitar with the main difference being the RGD having 1" extra scale length. Also I like the looks of the RGD a little more than the RG.

But the main problem is the guitar shop here wont be able to bring the RGD before April. But i need a 7 string asap for my band to restucture the originals and record the EP.

So will i regret later if i dont wait for the RGD and go for the RG1527z now? I will be playing Drop A or Drop G# at most. Is the RG's scale 25.5" scale length good enough for that? I heard that the RG1527 has intonation issues. Is that true?

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
i think, for the tuning you're aiming for, the RGD is the better choice. also, i liked the stock PU's a lot, compared to the PU's in the 1527. i can only recommend the RGD, dude...especially for low tuning. the extra inch makes a difference.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
It's always better wait for the gear that you think suits you more.

It's better to be happy in the long run than to get something because you want it now.

Go for the RGD:yesway:

The scale length will certainly help the low tuning, and I always enjoy my gear more if I like the way it looks. Even if it's purely aesthetic.

blackmachine24

Reaction score
Hey I am new to this forum but I love 7's! Right now my guitars are both six strings, a Schecter Damien solo elite, and a Godin Freeway classic. My next guitar absolutely has to be a 7. I am looking at the agile interceptor pro 725 EB tribal green, the Schecter Damien Elite 7, and the Ibanez RGA7. What should I get? These guitars are all in the price range of $500-700, and if you have other suggestions for guitars try and stay in this price range.

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a new guitar sometime this year mainly for Drop C stuff and 6-string metal in general, and I'm a little torn between these 2 Ibbys. I like relatively high tension purely because it's what I've been used to for the past several years, and I'm concerned that the 25.5" scale on the RG321E would be too short for my liking. That's why I've brought the RGD321 into the equation. But the problem then is that I have to choose between mahogany and basswood bodies, and I'd really love a white finish instead of boring old black.

I'm used to 10-52s for Drop D stuff on my Tokai LS200* and just love the response. Incidentally I'm getting some BKP Riff Raffs fitted along with a full setup, nut and jack socket replacement, can't wait. :D I guess I could try top-heavy 11s on a 25.5" scale.

What do you connoisseurs suggest? The most important thing to me is how it sounds and feels to play (which I guess are obvious factors). What are the tonal characteristics of mahogany vs basswood, and do you think 25.5" vs 26.5" will make or break it?

Thanks in advance.

*I've recently been trying to work out exactly what model Tokai I have, as I bought it around 7 years ago. Based on the exchange rate back in 2003 I think it's the LS200 because I paid ~£900 for it, the top is pretty much the same but it has no pickguard.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hey I am new to this forum but I love 7's! Right now my guitars are both six strings, a Schecter Damien solo elite, and a Godin Freeway classic. My next guitar absolutely has to be a 7. I am looking at the Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB tribal green, the Schecter Damien Elite 7, and the Ibanez RGA7. What should I get? These guitars are all in the price range of $500-700, and if you have other suggestions for guitars try and stay in this price range.

I can tell you some of the differences of each.
I'll refer to each of the guitars by just their brand name.

Body Wood
Agile = Mahogany with Maple top
Ibanez = Mahogany
Schecter = Mahogany with Maple top

Neck Construction
Agile = Neck-thru
Ibanez = ?
Schecter = Bolt-On

Fingerboard Wood
Agile = Ebony
Ibanez = Rosewood
Schecter = Rosewood

Type of Bridge
Agile = Licensed Floyd Rose
Ibanez = Fixed - Gibraltar OR Edge-Zero II
Schecter = Fixed - Tune-o-matic string-thru

Stock Pickups
Agile = EMG 707s
Ibanez = LZ7 Neck & Bridge
Schecter = EMG 81-7 (Bridge) & EMG 85-7 (Neck)

Scale Length
Agile = 25.5"
Ibanez = 25.5"
Schecter = 26.5"

Personally, I would get the Schecter if I was going to get a 7. The neck on the Schecter is going to be thicker than the Ibanez for sure. If you like the neck on your current Schecter then you might want to get it.

Hope that helps you decide. :yesway::)

Reaction score
shitsøn;2311729 said:
i think, for the tuning you're aiming for, the RGD is the better choice. also, i liked the stock PU's a lot, compared to the PU's in the 1527. i can only recommend the RGD, dude...especially for low tuning. the extra inch makes a difference.

Didnt the RGD and the RG1527z have the same pickups?

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering what you guys think is a better guitar in general i.e. playability, sound, looks. I currently own a Jackson COW7 w/EMG 707 18v and I don't really like the sound of the EMG707 9v or 18v or how the guitar feels with a fixed bridge (everything else I own has a trem). Also the lack of a neck pickup is kind of annoying as I have grown to like the neck pickup on my other guitars. I don't really want to change the 707 as I will spend money on a new pickup and probably not like it (that's just me).

I'm considering buying a Used RG1527 or a new RG1527 if I can sell the COW. If I did pick up an RG1527 I would change the pickups to either dimarzios or BKP's and give it a new paint job, probably a matte finish like the RGD2127z. I do like the look of the RGD but its out of my price range and I don't know if I would like the scale length. I've read a lot of good reviews about the RG1527 however I've also read some bad reviews. I've heard the neck on the ibanez is good. Can anyone tell me their experience with the RG1527?

What do you guys think? I'm looking for more versatility (must have neck pickup), and a guitar that feels great to play. I'm open to suggestions (but don't suggest anything with a fat neck please). I can't go and try out any guitars as no where local stocks 7's and I'd rather not have to travel over an hour to somewhere that just maybe has any.

Heres some pictures :)

Thanks!

PS Let me know if I've missed any details.

Attachments

• 3968-large.jpg
    3968-large.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 17

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For versatility the 1527 will probably rule out the COW 7. However before you give up on the COW7 which is by far a better built guitar, better woods (discussable) why not try a few things in it.

Mahogany neck + mahogany body and a 707 will give you a wooly warm mess. Try swapping in an 81-7 in the bridge which has more upper mids and is brighter than the 707. It sounds better in darker woods whereas the 707 sounds better in brighter woods.

Secondly if you miss a neck pickup - any competent tech can easily route in a neck EMG for you. Then you'd have the neck and bridge ready to go.

Those would be my options IF you wanted to stay with the COW7.

However IF you go to the 1527, try finding an RG7620 to save yourself some $$. Then a pickup swap will definitely be imminent (there are a gabigilion threads on here about these guitars and pickup combos - so please search before posting).

:2c:

Reaction score
For versatility the 1527 will probably rule out the COW 7. However before you give up on the COW7 which is by far a better built guitar, better woods (discussable) why not try a few things in it.

Mahogany neck + mahogany body and a 707 will give you a wooly warm mess. Try swapping in an 81-7 in the bridge which has more upper mids and is brighter than the 707. It sounds better in darker woods whereas the 707 sounds better in brighter woods.

Secondly if you miss a neck pickup - any competent tech can easily route in a neck EMG for you. Then you'd have the neck and bridge ready to go.

Those would be my options IF you wanted to stay with the COW7.

However IF you go to the 1527, try finding an RG7620 to save yourself some $$. Then a pickup swap will definitely be imminent (there are a gabigilion threads on here about these guitars and pickup combos - so please search before posting).

:2c:

Thanks for the reply,

I could probably buy a guitar for less than the routing would cost round here. However I could ask around and I could still give the 81-7 a go.

:yesway:

CryptopsyAndWhatnot

Reaction score
Schecter Omen 8: Buy Schecter Omen-8 8-String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Schecter Damien 7: Buy Schecter Damien 7 Electric Guitar | Extended Range Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Down to these two guitars. Having trouble finding anything in my price range that's used(about $500) so help me choose between these two or if you know of a reliable site that has gear priced pretty low it would be much appreciated. Neck size isn't really a problem, I play a 6 string bass

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Schecter Omen 8: Buy Schecter Omen-8 8-String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Schecter Damien 7: Buy Schecter Damien 7 Electric Guitar | Extended Range Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Down to these two guitars. Having trouble finding anything in my price range that's used(about $500) so help me choose between these two or if you know of a reliable site that has gear priced pretty low it would be much appreciated. Neck size isn't really a problem, I play a 6 string bass

Never bought anything from their site but they have some good prices on used stuff. Not sure how much shipping would be though. Make sure you look at the condition rating (0 to 5 stars).
Guitar Center Used Gear

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to you guys for all the input and various discussions on the site :hbang: Got a brand new RG 7321 a few weeks back and loving it :shred: Will post a (not so)NGD soon.

It's a solid guitar for a great (low) price. My low B was buzzing on the open position but I fixed it by adjusting the bridge height for the string. Would recommend it for a 1st 7-string. If you don't like it at worst you're out $400.

Thanks again everyone :)

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
Hey guys joined the site like half a week ago and loving the helpfulness of the forum. Honestly one of the best forums ive been on :hbang:!

So now i need help as im deciding which First 7 to get after i experimented numerous times with....

I got 2 choices to end my search

The Mighty Agile

Agile Interceptor Pro 725 MN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

OR

Schecter's new C-7

Hellraiser Special C-7 FR

As for as necks go would the schecter be compared to a MIM Fender Neck? I got one right now seeing as you say they are pretty big. I got Small hands but have a great range of spreading my fingers apart.

Lastly i do not want a 727 after reading much about them i cant see myself playing a 727 as i do Lots of leads and such. But found the 26.5 scale to be perfect balance of 25.5 and 27 to give me the clearness of the B while doing Leads and not losing that Warmness a 25.5 has.

Thanks,

MobiusR

')