Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

thesamjbow

Reaction score
lol wow... the entire neck glows like an angel descending from heaven or something :/ yeah I can definately see how that would be an incredible pain. If I were to buy an EC-1000 I'd probably get the silverburst one then :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thesamjbow

Reaction score
Another of many sidenotes :p Does Schecter still sell their Hellraiser C-1s with fretboards that match the body color? The black finish on their website appears to show the guitar with an ebony fretboard but the tech specs list it as rosewood for all finishes, and the white and black cherry finishes only appear to have plain rosewood fretboards. On their old website I recall the black cherry finish having a red fretboard, as seen here:
Buy Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
That looks like a weird photo of a really richly colored rosewood, and I think all Hellraisers have rosewood, but they might've changed that since I last looked.
As a note, I've generally had better luck with LTDs than with Schecters, by my LTDs have all been at least a few years old, and my terrible terrible Schecter was a 2007, so they could've improved their QC by now, and LTD could've gotten worse. :shrug:

thesamjbow

Reaction score
I can't find any other pictures of Hellraisers with red necks, so I'm guessing that you're right on that.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really, they're almost the exact same guitar. Play them both and see what you like. Personally, I prefer Schecters to LTDs. The Schecter also comes in a Les Paul shape, albeit more rounded. Somewhat ironically, they call it the Solo.

This. They're both basically the same guitar, most likely built by the same people. I like them both. The EC-1000 has a thinner neck than the C-1 Hellraiser, but the quality/woods/tone is more or less the same.

Reaction score
RC7X vs RC7G, ...The trem on the RC7G is the Lo TRS, and the one on the X is an OFR. The only other differences really, are on the G, the neck is sunk in lower...
The thing I love about the RC7G is how low everything is compared to my RG1527. I wanted to get the RC7X, but now reading this kinda makes me just want to go for an RC7G, unless the X still has that "low, tight" feeling the G has.

I guess my question is this: Will the RC7X be more like my RG or will it still feel the RC7G?

PS My old lead guitarist had the RC7G and I played it every opportunity I had. It was the only other 7-string I loved more than my RG1527 (mine is a pre-J-Craft Prestige).

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
K7APEX2-

-A BIT cheaper
-has passive pickups (which I somehow prefer)

Blackjack ATX C7

-Has the 26.5 scale length
-Has consistently great reviews

My dilemma
My problem is that I prefer passives but don't mind actives, and prefer a 26.5 scale but don't mind 25.5.
I'm looking for CLEAR tone under high gain, but great cleans and mid gain tones too: it needs to be a very very versatile instrument for recording.
Yes, this is going to almost completely be a recording instrument, I don't really gig much.

Which guitar do you think is the smarter choice? I mean in terms of wood quality/build quality and craftsmanship etc etc which is the better guitar overall?

Thanks!

MapleLeaf97

Reaction score
Evening, djentlemen. I am here with a request. I went to my local music store today and tried 2 7-strings, and an 8 string. I will list them and what I thought, and then ask you good people if you have any input (I am planning on buying a 7 or 8 soon..)

1) Ernie Ball JP7: I can't afford it, I won't get it, but here's what I thought anyways:
- It was the most comfortable neck of the two 7's
- Best sounding pickups.
- Maybe a little more expensive than it's worth. ($2395.99 CAD)
- Personally, I don't see the practical use for a piezo on a low B string

2) Ibanez ARZ307:
- Despite the action being incredibly low, the fret buzz didn't take away from the tone. Compared to the other two, it was the worst sounding (to my ears), but it was also good for the money (499.99 CAD)
- The curve at the neck joint to the body (neck-thru) was actually really comfortable.
- It was a little uncomfortable reaching past the 18th fret, as with most guitars, but it was also not quite impossible to do so
- The tension on the strings was very loose, however that could just be the individual guitar. It was stock, so if that is how Ibanez ships them, then this part can only really be judged good or bad by the individual player. Personally, I thought the extra slack on the strings was good.
- Far from the best pickups

3) Ibanez RGA8
- No surprise, the extra string called for a longer scale. It wasn't all that drastic, though.
- The neck was actually surprisingly thin, but the lacquer on the back held back some movement
- While the neck pickup was muddy, the bridge pickup did a decent job of voicing all the strings at the same time.
- Simple layout (3-way selector, volume knob, EQ switch), which I personally prefer.
- There was no diving of the neck, which I personally found surprising, as well the guitar was surprisingly light.

--------------------------
It seems that it should be mentioned that I was playing through an Orange Rockverb 10 MKII and the matching PPC412C cab.

Maybe this will help some people?
I was actually hoping that some of you might have experience with these guitars, and may also be able to add to the information/comments. I'm looking to buy either the ARZ307 or RGA8, and any feedback would be appreciated

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I've only played a Ibanez ARZ307 and a RGA8, I'm not really into 8 strings, but it was nice, definitely consider getting a ARZ307, it's easy to change the pickups and won't break your bank.

rekab

Reaction score
ARZ307 is set neck, not neck thru.. Other than that you are comparing apples to oranges a little bit..
The ARZ is a shorter scale 7 (25") and the RGA8 is a mid scale 8 (27").
Either one is a solid choice of guitar, but are not at all the same thing. This comes down to wanting an 8 or a 7.. If budget is an issue, go with the ARZ, but keep in mind that short scale will not allow you to downtune (an intonate) to what the RGA8 will.

Just A Box

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the JP7 and the ARZ are the same scale length. Perhaps the ARZ was tuned down, but the string tension (if they shipped with comparable string gauge sets) should be the same on both.

Stock Ibanez pickups are average at best unless you spend over $1500 or get a signature model.

I'm looking at an ARZ307 myself, as I trust Ibanez above most other manufacturers to make a 7 string LP style guitar with a neck that's more in line with a shred guitar than a traditional LP. I've got to get rid of a pistol to fund it, though.

So, if the JP is out, did you have anything else in mind for a seven or 8 other than Ibanez?

MapleLeaf97

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the JP7 and the ARZ are the same scale length. Perhaps the ARZ was tuned down, but the string tension (if they shipped with comparable string gauge sets) should be the same on both.

Stock Ibanez pickups are average at best unless you spend over $1500 or get a signature model.

I'm looking at an ARZ307 myself, as I trust Ibanez above most other manufacturers to make a 7 string LP style guitar with a neck that's more in line with a shred guitar than a traditional LP. I've got to get rid of a pistol to fund it, though.

So, if the JP is out, did you have anything else in mind for a seven or 8 other than Ibanez?

Actually, yeah. Over the summer I played the ESP SC208, which was pretty sweet. It;s not terribly expensive, but I didn't really like how it sounded..

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
The ARZ307 is a great guitar IMO. Once I threw some thicker strings on it and lowered the pickups I had mine rockin'. If you're looking for a good new 7-string that's not a super-strat i'd recommend it. I've never played an RGA8 so I can't comment on it.

Oh, and I drop-tuned mine a whole step down (A standard) and even did drop G and it was fine.

space frog

Reaction score
^Even though you prefer passives, I think you would love the Blackouts on the Blackjack, they are flatout amazing.

Bouillestfu

Reaction score
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
700$

+Baritone 27'' scale
+Cheaper
+More versatile (Baritone scale/Floyd/24frets)
+Wider selection of finishes/necks/pick-ups

= Some HATE them and some LOVE them (who to trust?)

-Something feels wrong about not being able to try one out first.

ESP/LTD H-1007
800$

+Tried it beforehand. :p
+Felt amazing in my hands especially seeming as it was the first time I actually took the time to play (properly) with a 7-string.
+Have only heard great reviews of these
+Sexiest of the 3 IMO

-Most Expensive of the 3
-Not a Baritone as I was looking for
-No Floyd/Tremolo/Whammy

Ibanez S7420
700$
+Best body (don't know about Agile lol) I loved the curves and the general shape of it.
+Cheaper (on Par with Agile)
+Great reviews here as well.

-Not a fan of the pick-ups (those can always be swapped)
-Not a fan of the Output jack on the top of the body.
-Not a Baritone as I was looking for

This would be my first 7-string ever.

Thanks in advance, your loyal subject. ME!

Reaction score
Schecter Damien 6 (£456)

Bolt on Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
Basswood Body
25.5" Scale length, 24 X-Jumbo Frets
Black Pearl Bat inlays
EMG HZ H4/H4A Pickups
TOM w/Thru-body
Grover tuners
Satin Black finish

VS

Schecter Demon-6 (£420)

Construction: Bolt-On
Body: Mahogany
Neck: Maple
Scale: 25.5”
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Frets: 24 X-Jumbo
Inlays: Gothic Cross
Binding: No
Pickups: Duncan Designed Active HB-105’s
Electronics: Vol/Tone/3-way Switch
Bridge: Tune-o-matic
Tuners: Schecter Black Nickel
Hardware: Black Nickel

VS

Schecter Omen Extreme (£388) + EMG 81/60 pick-up change

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Bolt-on /25.5”
BODY: Basswood w/ Figured Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Maple/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Vector
PICKUPS: 2 Schecter High Output Alnico humbuckers
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Tone/3-Way
BRIDGE: Licensed Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo
BINDING: Creme (body, neck, headstock)
TUNERS: Schecter
HARDWARE: Black Chrome
COLOUR: Black Cherry (BCH)

Thanks.

space frog

Reaction score
@my fellow montrealer bouillestfu, I'd go for the Interceptor. I have an Agile Intrepid 828 myself, and I had the same fear as you before buying it, the fact that I couldn't try it.
One thing you MUST know though, is that Kurt, the dude at Rondo, will answer any of your questions within 24 hours by e-mail and that if you don't like you guitar for any reason, you can send it back. check their return policies, it's pretty nice. But for the same cash as any of the factory guitars you mentioned, it's a much better axe IMO.

Also, you must know that you have to get a hard shell case and that shipping will be around 100-150$, but they will pay the VAT taxes and customs for you. I'd still recommend it.

Reaction score
Hey all, first post on here. I'm this || close to buying my first 7 sting (waiting on paypal bank xfer). My friend suggested an Agile guitar and so i browsed their sites and did some research and fell in love. I think they'll be just what i need for a beginner 7stringer. i Have my eyes set on the Interceptor Pro 727. But i found something confusing...

This -
Agile Interceptor Pro-B 727 EB Tribal Red at RondoMusic.com

is the one i decided on.

This -
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Tribal Red at RondoMusic.com

is the same thing with EMG's

what i can't understand is why there's a $110 dollar difference between the two. The blackouts can't be the only difference. Maybe i'm missing something. aren't blackouts cheaper than EMG's? maybe i'm missing something...

space frog

Reaction score
^Blackouts make a small difference, and iirc the B for the Pro-B models meant they are the latest models, while Pro models are models for the previous production wave. The "B" ups the price by about 50 bucks I think, and the Blackouts too, so there goes your ~100$ difference. I remember asking Kurt about that and that's what he told me. Also congrats, nice 7 string guitar you get there. I've always wanted one!

')