Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good 7 string WITHOUT any type of tremolo bridge and with something other than basswood to replace my Ibanez RG7420. I am trying to decide between the Ibanez Apex2 or a Carvin DC 747 (5-pc koa neck with maple stripes, mahogany body, maple top, ebony fretboard) What do you guys recommend, who has played the Apex 2 and what did you think of it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

space frog

Reaction score
IMO get the carvin. it is not a typical factory made guitar, which means to me that for the same price youll have a better instrument. thats just me though

kent-ish

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm after a little advice here. looking to buy my first seven string and I'm having serious issues deciding between about 2 or three guitars. I've been playing for a few years, play a lot of hardcore/metal type music, i.e emmure, suicide silence,i play in a band in drop A etc...I've been playing a Jackson 6 string for a fair while and love it (Jackson® Guitars : The Bloodline)

some of the guitars I am having issues deciding between is an Ibanez RGA7 which i can get new for $900 (australian, so around that if not a little bit less in US currency), this is the only guitar in my area i can have a play of and think it's fairly decent, here's a link to it (Electric Guitars - RGA7 | Ibanez guitars)

other guitars im looking at include an agile septer std 727, i can get it for 500 US with postage and shipping probably 600, this guitar is currently winning in my most likely to buy as it's a baritone 27" scale length and I think that'd be pretty damn cool to play. if anyone has had a play of this can you please help me out on any kind of description as i have no access to one to try out (Agile Septor Std 727 RN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com)

ive also been kinda looking at an LTD H-1007 (paying probably 1400), although this guitar seems harder to judge if it would be a nice guitar or not as i haven't been able to really find a reliable review on it (as im sure a lot of you would know internet reviews make dog turd polishable)

if anyone has any suggestions, opinions, im open to second hand guitars but would prefer new. any advice/feedback would be much appreciated as im pretty stuck on this one.

greyhound

Reaction score
It all comes to this: scale length.. i adore rg1527 in white.. but it has shorter scale.. I mainly use drop tunings.. so is it really such a difference ? and what would you guys recommend.. RGD really looks like a machine.. but it is also more expensive ( 250 euros ).. I know that there is a vs. thread but I wanted to post here cause I've seen that there are many of you out there that own one of these two.

Reaction score
same quality and the sound is pretty close as well. i say RGD all the way. and thats coming from a 1527 owner who wishes they had a 2127z. oh, and i THINK it has the jem style input jack which is fuckin amazing

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
i owned and really like both and can honestly say that the RGD is worth the 250 extra euros. it really is a machine, and even the stock pups sound fine.

the 26.5 scale is very comfy but definitely helps if you want to go lower.

BigHandy

Reaction score
Im up to buy an 8 string, couse I realy like the thick and downtuned sound of those 7-8 string Nu-metal and Metalcore bands, but as far as I know most of them are using ESP or Ibanez. Where I live I can only acces to Schecter 8 strings in shops, but I have no clue how would it sound with that kind of music. I saw a few video on yt, but it seems that it dosent have that unique "futuristic" gained sound like the ESP (or sometimes the Ibanez) got, maybe its because most of the guys played Heavy metal/Hard rock on it, so maybe its not enough to compare. I heard a lot of Nevermore before (Demion is using Sheckter 8 strings too) but its again a different style than Im seeking, and I cant hear any special sound about the guitar (the themes are cool btw). Any suggestions that Schecter V-8 HLR will be any good for me if I realy want to play "space nu-metalcore" on it?

And what kind of effect pedal would be the best with it?

Thanks for the replys!

kent-ish

Reaction score
I've been looking around at seven strings lately. Everyone seems to be advising me to find an RG7621 or similar. My question is, if these things are so damn popular, why did they stop making them? they seem to be like, the most wanted seven string around, now the only new sevens i can find by ibanez are made in korea or elsewhere.

Also, as I found the thread I origionally posted this is useless I thought I'd quickly pop this in aswell.

I'm after a little advice here. looking to buy my first seven string and I'm having serious issues deciding between about 2 or three guitars. I've been playing for a few years, play a lot of hardcore/metal type music, i.e emmure, suicide silence,i play in a band in drop A (hopefully G soon) etc...I've been playing a Jackson 6 string for a fair while and love it (Jackson® Guitars : The Bloodline)

some of the guitars I am having issues deciding between is an Ibanez RGA7 which i can get new for $900 (australian, so around that if not a little bit less in US currency), this is the only guitar in my area i can have a play of and think it's fairly decent, here's a link to it (Electric Guitars - RGA7 | Ibanez guitars)

other guitars im looking at include an agile septer std 727, i can get it for 500 US with postage and shipping probably 600, this guitar is currently winning in my most likely to buy as it's a baritone 27" scale length and I think that'd be pretty damn cool to play. if anyone has had a play of this can you please help me out on any kind of description as i have no access to one to try out (Agile Septor Std 727 RN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com)

ive also been kinda looking at an LTD H-1007 (paying probably 1400), although this guitar seems harder to judge if it would be a nice guitar or not as i haven't been able to really find a reliable review on it (as im sure a lot of you would know internet reviews make dog turd polishable)

if anyone has any suggestions, opinions, im open to second hand guitars but would prefer new. any advice/feedback would be much appreciated as im pretty stuck on this one. This guitar needs to be good quality and last as long as possible, ( i gig fairly often and would like to record in the future with it)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
I've been looking around at seven strings lately. Everyone seems to be advising me to find an RG7621 or similar. My question is, if these things are so damn popular, why did they stop making them? they seem to be like, the most wanted seven string around, now the only new sevens i can find by ibanez are made in korea or elsewhere.
)

because in 1999 and 2000 when they where making them, 7s where not as popular. you had maybe 3-4 bands using them.

and myself being someone who has owned most of the ibanez 7s, you cant go wrong with a 7621/7421 ;):shred:

Demeyes

Reaction score
They stopped making the RG7620 and 7420 but now they make fairly similar guitars as the RG 1527. The main difference between them is the price, you can get a used older model for well under half price of what the new ones go for. That's why they are the better guitars value wise.
BTW you won't have any warranty on an Agile shipped out of the US. Its a bit of a gamble but you should be ok.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
They never actually stopped making the 7620, they just put it on the Prestige line and renamed it the 1527 with some slight changes.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
They never actually stopped making the 7620, they just put it on the Prestige line and renamed it the 1527 with some slight changes.

Not exactly. The 7620 had a Lo Pro 7 and Dimarzio New7 pickups. Early 7620's had a 1 piece maple neck, while later versions had a 3 piece maple/bubinga neck. Neither version ever had a volute, they both used a scarf joint.

The 1527, on the other hand, had an Edge Pro 7 and Ibanez V7-7 and V8-7 pickups. Early 1527's had the same 3 piece maple/bubinga scarf joint neck as the late 7620's (as well as 7420's), while later 1527's had a 5 piece maple/wenge neck that used a volute instead of a scarf joint.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/144186-ultimate-list-ibanez-7-strings.html

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Yeah, slight changes. It's basically a 7620 with Prestige specs.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, slight changes. It's basically a 7620 with Prestige specs.

That's like saying a Universe is just an RG7620 with a middle pickup and a pickguard. On some level it's true, but at the same time it's a very naive statement.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
After playing a sixer for some years I am now in a position where I have some serious GAS for a 7-string. Recently got a pretty good summer job which will allow me to earn enough money for next year of studies (living alone for the first time :O) and some other gear.

Was thinking of buying an Ibanez RGA7 as a first 7-string guitar, but recently I found a guy selling his Schecter Hellraiser C-7 for the same price as a a new RGA7 (half price of new Hellraiser here in norway). Seeing as this guitar has a a decent pair of actives and a longer scale I kinda think this is what i should be buying. Problem is I have never tried Schecters, and all the Ibanez guitars i have tried felt kinda like my current sixer. I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul standard which feels amazing to my hands. My Cort A5 bass is also really good, but with another feel because of the wider neck.

What I am really wondering is how this guitar might feel compared to what i am used to. Both guitars have actives which is not really what i like, but the 707s will probably work better, until I can buy some Dimarzios/BKPS, than the Ibanez ones.

If anyone have any relevant experience to share that would make my decision easier it would really help me out. Have personally experienced in the past that a more expensive guitar isn't necessarily better, which is why i havent jumped the gun on the Schecter yet.

Reaction score
In past experience schecter 7 strings seem to have something missing from their general tonal sound no matter the amp. i suggest the ibanez, of course i prefer ibanez to anything on sevens so i may be a little biased.

')