Theft and aftermath.

• Thread starter Oddkid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oddkid

Reaction score
Last year was sadly a continuation of my families endless bad luck. Specifically for this post, the theft of two of my girlfriends motorbikes. At present, she has no transport or freedom and is driving her stir crazy. She's always had bikes. Now she works a shitty job because its within walking distance and she can't look further away because she cannot travel.

I was looking to add her to my policy on my RSV but the insurer won't accept her because she has thefts on her record. How is this fair? The bike was correctly stored where it was supposed to be all legal for the insurers and she was targeted twice. Now she can't get insured! It's like being punished for being victimised.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
sucks to hear that... is that really the case? i mean legally that your gf can't be insured?
did you talk to a lawyer?

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
That's weird. I could see them giving you a hard time if she had accidents, but theft? I'm not sure what RSV is, but if it were me, I would tell them that I will begin shopping for a different insurance company. They sometimes need to be reminded that they have competitors, and that you as a consumer have many other choices. Follow through too. Call a few other insurance companies and just see how their rates compare, be up-front about her thefts, etc. You may actually find a better deal.

When/if you do, call your current insurance company up and delight in telling them the stellar deal you got, and that you need to discuss closing your account. They may actually give in and be like "No wait! wait! Let us see what we can do."

And I know this is going to sound like touchy-feely, new-agey crap... but try not to think of your family as having "endless bad luck." I've found that when I think that way, I do indeed seem to have endless bad luck. It's like a cruel joke the universe plays on us, and when we fall into that line of thinking, we do indeed seem to attract bad luck to ourselves.

If nothing else, try to think about the fact that a string of bad luck is usually followed by a string of good luck. Focus on that. It'll happen eventually!

Oddkid

Reaction score
It's cool guys, I'm pretty optimistic generally you don't get anywhere by giving up! I'm ring round I reckon. I'm more worried about how my girlfriend will take it.

')