Theft protection

• Thread starter Pengu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pengu

Reaction score
Hi All,

I might be acquiring a high end guitar soon and am curious as to how to protect against theft... I have looked into gps tracking devices that I can put into the body cavity of a guitar, similar to this. Do they interfere with any of the guitar's electronics? Or how have you implemented theft protection in your live rig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
With a tracking chip, in the USA you'd have to hire some ruffians to take care of business. Cops here couldn't give a rat's ass about property crimes. Can you get instrument insurance in Australia? I'd look into one of those companies. I think Heritage and Anderson are two big ones here. They are designed for gigging musicians, so unlike some homeowners plans here, which exclude professional use stuff, these cover it.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
+1 Heritage. Have also known people who had stuff damaged or stolen from their homes protected by renter's insurance, provided they had specifically itemized its existence and value beforehand.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Insure your shit, heavily documented, and make sure its actually covered. Likely be pulling teeth with a claim regardless.

The real thing is dont take it out of the house if you’re worried it may get stolen. Someone is with the gear at all times.

Goatfork

Reaction score
I have Apple AirTags mounted inside the control cavities of the guitars I take out of the house. Additionally, I have a Google Drive folder with a spreadsheet of serial numbers, descriptors, etc., as well as a folder of up-to-date photos of the gear and their cases.

If anything ever gets stolen, we'll find it.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you gig with only one guitar then just don't put it down - your guitar goes where you go.

Honestly, just don't take super high end guitars out. One thing is theft but it's probably more prone to damage as well while gigging. A well set up cheaper alternative is the way to go.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you gig with only one guitar then just don't put it down - your guitar goes where you go.

Honestly, just don't take super high end guitars out. One thing is theft but it's probably more prone to damage as well while gigging. A well set up cheaper alternative is the way to go.
Take em out and dont yap that they are high end. A historic reissue is just another les paul to patrons til they hear its expensive ;)

sleewell

Reaction score

like all night? bathroom? out to smoke? up to the bar for a drink? loading your amp and pedals? watching the other bands?

')