Theory Question.

• Thread starter mizfi7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mizfi7

Shreddin it up!
Reaction score
So modes are ionian, dorian, phygian, etc and was confused if a C Ionian is cdefgab and B Locrain is bcdefga wouldnt a D Ionian be the same as a B Locrain? Please correct me if im wrong I just dont want to learn the wrong thing and make it harder on my self.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
No, B locrian and D Ionian are not the same, they are completely different keys. D Ionian would be D E F# G A B C#.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Try to think of your modes in terms of key: the mode of E phrygian is still in C major, and C# mixolydian is still in F# major. This is not how modes are typically used, but it helps to clear it up a bit.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Agreed.

When learning modes, it's best to think of them as coming from a key.

C major gives us

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

They all have the same notes.

In practice, most would argue to think of them as distinct scales, which they are. Modes are special because they are built by taking a scale (in most cases the Western major scale) and using a particular note as the tonal center.

So D Dorian has the same notes as C major, but it revolves around D, the second note of the scale, instead of C.

In my opinion, modes are the very worst example of irritating horseshit in music theory.

They are just scales, but we get them from one 'parent scale' or another and suddenly they're all special.

:rant:

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Well, knowing the properties of any mode helps in modulation and coloring, so they are special in that way. But to create music that uses the mode's tonic chord as a tonal center takes more harmonic understanding than melodic. Were I a jazz guy, I might have something more to say on that.

mizfi7

Shreddin it up!
Reaction score
just to make sure im write would a c major be played like this on a 7 string.

e-3-7-9
b-3-5-6
g-2-4-5
d-2-3-5
a-2-3-5
e-1-3-5
b-1-3-5

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Yes, though you're missing an 'A' on the high e string, but all those notes are from the c major scale, yes.

It's better to learn the notes on the fretboard and know the notes of a scale rather than to be stuck with those vile box patterns, which, in my humble opinion, make us think too much in terms of positions and shapes and bland scale runs.

mizfi7

Shreddin it up!
Reaction score
Thanks ya thats what i was was doing learning it by notes i just wrote it up like that so it was easier to explain.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Your e string should read e-3-5-7-8; the ninth fret is C#.

Here's a another major scale pattern that really gets you moving across the fretboard:

e-7-8
b-6-8-10
G-5-7-9
D-3-5-7-9
A-3-5-7
E-1-3-5-7
B-1-3-5

I personally find that easier to commit to memory.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
:slapshimself:

Ugh, I need to be beaten, I saw that the "A" was missing and totally ignored the C# on the ninth fret of the e string!

I feel a little ashamed now. :(

')