Theory, where to begin?

• Thread starter Ahole
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ahole

Reaction score
I've been playing for around three years now and I barely know any theory.
So, I'd like to learn some theory, but I just don't know where to begin.
Got any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd take the major scale and apply it's structure: 1 2 34 5 6 71 both along single strings and across the strings in the seven 3-note-per-string patterns.

Then I'd learn how simple triad chords & arpeggios can be derived from it, then modes, and chord extensions.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What Durero said. I'd also learn the natural minor scale (which is actually a mode of the major scale, which you'll see when you get to the modes) in the same way. I'd learn the major and minor pentatonics in all their positions as well. One thing I've noticed while teaching is that students tend to learn the major/minor scale shapes and their modes faster if they've already learnt their pentatonic positions.

Also, try and learn the name and sound (ascending and descending) of each interval, as that'll get you started on some eartraining and help you memorise the different scales.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
This is something I've ran into myself, realizing that I really need to progress my musical knowledge and my technique further.

The Guitar Grimiore has a lot of nice info in it, but personally I feel I need a teacher.

How did you guys go about learning theory?

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I need to find a knowledgeable friend who's willing to teach me or some old guru somewhere to ninja me some guitar learnin'

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
I highly recommend The AB Guide To Music Theory parts I & II. They're both amazingly well written books. They'll take you from the very beginnings of theory, covering basic rhythm theory and basic harmony theory and going way beyond. Fantastic place to start and will set you up for not taking such a guitar-centric view of things.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Start with chord construction - teach yourself how to build major, minor, diminished, and augmented chords from scales. This will sort of backdoor you into harmonization, resolution, modulation, and all sorts of interesting stuff. :yesway:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
That I do know.
I'll order the AB Guide To Music Theory.
Thanks!

AB guide is good but get that AND Theory Workout Books grade 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 :yesway: They are actually the best things I've ever got my hands on.

Ahole

Reaction score
I ordered the Ab Guide, we'll see where those take me first.
The workout books will have to wait.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
I'd take the major scale and apply it's structure: 1 2 34 5 6 71 both along single strings and across the strings in the seven 3-note-per-string patterns.

Then I'd learn how simple triad chords & arpeggios can be derived from it, then modes, and chord extensions.

So where would I start if this confuses me?

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
mmmm.. my opinion.. when i teach guitar, the firsts lessons i focus my attention to 3 main different abspect:

the first is make sure that the student know some music theory: notes names, notes comsecuzio, theory of semitones and tones between notes.

the second is make sure that the student has a complete an clean idea of the structure of the fretboard: name of the strings, periodicity fo the fretboard (from zero to 11 fret, from 12 to 23 and the 24), positon of the notes on fretborad. he must be able to find, starting from a note, all the octaves in all the strings in all the position.
this thing is apparently easy.. but for people that have never touched a guitar is really complex, and they generally use a cuple of time to be really fast in finding notes above the whole fretboard.

the tird is the position of the body. wrong position can really compromise you health and limit your techinc.

after this generally i go on with picking techincs, legatos, bending and so on.. =)

:shred:

')