Theres 50,000 bumblebees on the side of my house.

• Thread starter jaretthale78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yup, they're kind of important, isn't it Einstein who said that if bee's were to disappear, the human race would end in less than 4 year?

Apparently 1 third of all produce maybe more would no longer be pollenated, and either die out or have to be manually pollenated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
We could, I'd like to add to that list 2 insects that are the considered to be the most painful insects in the world to be stung by. The Pepsis wasp/ tarantula hawk and the Bullet ant. Check em out, pretty brutal fuckers. Certain tribes in brazil I believe use the Bullet Ant in a rite of passage to manhood, they coat the young boys arm in these ants an let them sting him. sick shit. :nuts:

They're both fucked up insects. On the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, the Pepsis wasp is a 4.0 and the Bullet ant is 4.0+.

4.0 - Pepsis wasp: Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.
4.0+ - Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walked over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel.

CapenCyber

Reaction score
Bees are cool, wasps fucking suck though.

Especially the big ones:
agh1.jpg

Meshugger

Reaction score
It's a japanese hornet, baddest motherfucker of all hornets. Their venom makes your skin and muscle tissue "melt" or so to speak. If you're stung in the face, then you're pretty much shit out of luck.

I remember seeing a documentary about them some time ago. You would think that they pretty much rule their domain uncontested, but actually japanese bees have a very diabolic way to kill them. What do they do? They swarm like around every single hornet that they see, but they do not sting it to death. Oh no, that would be too nice. Get this, japanese bees have a higher body temperature threshold that the hornets, so by swarming around it, they effectively cook it to death. It takes about 10-15 minutes for it to die.

This is Japan to you folks, even the insects are weird.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Hornets FTMFL :noway:

We get them here every now and then, but we have more trouble with ants. Fucking Bull-ants man, they're absolute cunts. Bigger than the Bullet ants, but not as painful a sting (which isn't saying much, Bull ants still hurt like a motherfucker :noway:) and almost all of the 90 or so species of bull ants are endemic to, that's right, Australia :lol:

ig47_ant_Myrmecia_09.jpg

Used to have nests of the fuckers living around my old house :ugh:

Reaction score
It's a japanese hornet, baddest motherfucker of all hornets. Their venom makes your skin and muscle tissue "melt" or so to speak. If you're stung in the face, then you're pretty much shit out of luck.

I remember seeing a documentary about them some time ago. You would think that they pretty much rule their domain uncontested, but actually japanese bees have a very diabolic way to kill them. What do they do? They swarm like around every single hornet that they see, but they do not sting it to death. Oh no, that would be too nice. Get this, japanese bees have a higher body temperature threshold that the hornets, so by swarming around it, they effectively cook it to death. It takes about 10-15 minutes for it to die.

This is Japan to you folks, even the insects are weird.

Honeybee_thermal_defence01.jpg

This is a group of Japanese Honeybees swarming (or "balling") two Japanese Giant Hornet (the ones that Meshugger is talking about). No stinging is involved.

I don't think the Japanese Giant Hornets (Vespa mandarinia japonica) use this mechanism. It's The Japanese Honeybee (Apis cerana japonica) defense mechanism against them.

Reaction score
Giant Hornets can kill colonies of 50,000 Honeybees within three hours...

Even with this mechanism, they won't survive (unless it's only a handful of hornets).

When a hornet scout locates and approaches a Japanese honey bee hive it will emit specific pheromonal hunting signals. When the honey bees detect these pheromones, a hundred or so will gather near the entrance of the nest and set up a trap, keeping it open apparently to draw the hornet further into the hive or allow it to enter on its own. As the hornet enters the nest, a large mob of about five hundred honey bees surrounds it, completely covering it and preventing it from moving, and begin quickly vibrating their flight muscles. This has the effect of raising the temperature of the honey bee mass to 47 °C (117 °F). The honey bees can tolerate this temperature, but the hornet cannot survive more than 46 °C (115 °F), so it dies. Often several bees perish along with the intruder, but the death of the hornet scout prevents it from summoning reinforcements which would wipe out the colony.

Japanese Giant Hornets are still the most venomous known insect (per sting). They also look badass:
Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Giant Hornets can kill colonies of 50,000 Honeybees within three hours...

Even with this mechanism, they won't survive (unless it's only a handful of hornets).

Yeah I saw footage of about 20 giant hornets completely slaughter a whole hive of honeybees. They are about 4 or 5 times the size, so they can just rip them apart with their jaws. They're fucking insane.

I was actually in a car once, in England mind, and the window was open. I felt this thump on my collarbone/shoulder area, like I'd been hit. I looked down and there was a three inch wasp on me. I was fucking scared shitless. It had like red markings instead of black ones like our native ones.

SD83

Reaction score
Thank god european hornets are pretty much the most peaceful insects I have ever seen. And theirs stings are supposed to be no worse than that of a wasp. The most painful sting I felt so far was from a bee, my fault, I stepped on it... I would run like hell if I saw one of those japanese monsters fly towards me.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I came home one night at like 11 pm after a long day and when I went into my room there was a like 3" wasp just hanging out on my window... on the inside...

I just said *fuck it* and went to sleep because it wasn't even moving and then when I woke up in the morning it was still in the same spot.

I went downstairs and started eating breakfast and watching tv and when my stepfather came down I was like *Oh btw theres this wasp chilling on my window since I got in last night* and he was like *WHAT*

We went in with a cardboard box trapped it went into the garage CHUCKED it outside and closed it / ran into the house like little girls.

Reaction score
On Earth we use quotation marks. :wub:

But, seriously... I hate when insects/animals/spiders just sit there for hours. You know they're up to something, but what?!

Ironberry

Reaction score
Stripey cunts that give you honey and pollenate most of the plant products you consume. :nono:

Hey if you payed me well enough, I'll fly around landing on flowers all day. Except I won't take part in the dying after having sex once or whatever it is.

')