There's nothing like that new electronic smell. (Picstory/Video - 56k: Nosir.)

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So after golf yesterday, it was time to indulge in two of my favorite things: Drinking beer and car audio. So I headed north to my buddy Tony's place, and enroute picked up some goodies. I've been slowly picking away at replacing my stereo (this is the first car I've ever had a stock system in for more than a month :lol:). The subwoofer (15" Kicker L7) and amp setup was done a while ago, so tonight we'll take care of the deck.

As such, we start rippin' shit apart, and dumping out the contents of my glove compartment and center console all over the place. :lol:

1.jpg

The proper tools. Instructions on tearing my car apart, and beer. :drew:

2.jpg

You can see the bass control knob in the glove box, which will eventually go away in lieu of the sub control on the deck.

3.jpg

So long, stock changer: :wavey:

4.jpg

Keeping these close at hand..

5.jpg

We get to work:

6.jpg

Moving right along:

7.jpg

A brief intermission for more beer.

8.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere! :yesway:

9.jpg

:woohoo: All out!

10.jpg

Old deck, new deck in the bracket:

11.jpg

Now to swap over my AC/Heater controls:

12.jpg

Done. :yesway:

13.jpg

Behold my gay vent-mount holder. I have a ProClip on the way which will look a shitload better and actually integrate with my existing dash. Basically it's a $100 iPod mount, but it'll look much better than this hack setup. However, since it's not going to be here until Monday, the $9.99 special gets the /nod for now.

14.jpg

So we plug in the iPod cable (which also charges it): :yesway:

15.jpg

Crimp up the last of the harness:

16.jpg

And the basic wiring is done. :D

17.jpg

Now to stuff it all back in here:

18.jpg

But first, we test, and it works. :woohoo:

19.jpg

As does this:

20.jpg

Yay!

21.jpg

Awww fuck. Since we do NOT want to do this again, and we're not doing the speakers/component amps until I'm back from Australia, I have an :idea:. Unfortunately, it involves pulling the deck back out. So we do.

22.jpg

We hop in his wife's car:

23.jpg

And head to Wal-Mart:

24.jpg

To pick up the RCA cables and pre-run them out of the deck. :yesway: That way when we run the front/rear/sub channels, the RCA's are already in the back of the deck. :yesway:

25.jpg

We're rewarded for our prudent planning by this random chick with a fantastic ass.

26.jpg

Alrighty then, let's put that shit back in!

27.jpg

Gotta route the cables:

28.jpg

Getting late, but we're almost done! :D

29.jpg

Last bit of the trim goes back together, and reinstalling the seat heater controls:

30.jpg

And we're done! For now, anyway. The cables hanging out of the trim are out of sight now, coiled up in my glove box. The iPod cable itself will go under the right side knee-trim there and tuck up hidden into the ProClip holder when it gets here. :D

31.jpg

Tah-dah! One Alpine CDA-9855 with full iPod integration. :metal: 30GB of tunes completely controlled through the deck with all of the default iPod controls.

32.jpg

Blinky dash lights = better tone:

33.jpg

Let's have a look inside! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Berger

Contributor
Reaction score
one of my buddies has the same alpine system. very nice picstory

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
That is a tasty setup Chris. Was it overly difficult to do?

Only I am thinking of doing the exact same thing when I get my new wheels in September. And just wondered how difficult/a pain in the ass it is to take the whole console out. I know my electronics fairly well (being an ICT Technician) but I've never attempted anything technical in a car before.

P.S. I'm digging the momentary "chick with a nice ass" diversion! :yesway:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
When I get a car I'm totally pimping the sound system - I'll give those boy-racers with their shitty subs a run for their money with a bit of the old gore-grind

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That is a tasty setup Chris. Was it overly difficult to do?

Only I am thinking of doing the exact same thing when I get my new wheels in September. And just wondered how difficult/a pain in the ass it is to take the whole console out. I know my electronics fairly well (being an ICT Technician) but I've never attempted anything technical in a car before.

P.S. I'm digging the momentary "chick with a nice ass" diversion! :yesway:

Nah, none of it's all that difficult. Just tedious depending on what you drive really. Some cars, removing the HU is two bolts. :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool man, you guys remember to run power and line cables on opposite sides of the car right.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool :yesway: I'm going to be doing something similar when I get my new car, though with an external hard drive instead of an iPod. Cheaper, and I can store more tunes. The big decision though, do I go with a regular head unit, or a dvd one so I can use my extensive collection of music dvd's in the car?

[action=metalfiend666]would like to point out that he'd have the dvd's for the audio. He's not dumb enough to watch a dvd while driving.[/action]

Then again, the dvd setup might be a good future proofing idea for when the baby's a bit older. I'm planning on having the next car a long time.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, I miss working on car stereos. Maybe I'll replace the stock speakers in my POS pickup this weekend.

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score
Nice picstory...gotta do that to my new Trailblazer at some point. Which Acura do you have? They are some mighty nice cars.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice picstory Chris! :metal: I want to do this in my Mazda3 but then again I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping it. I am tempted to buy a new Civic just because I love the gas mileage on the '07 Civic my girlfriend owns. Decisions, decisions.... sportier feel vs gas mileage is a bummer sometimes. :noplease: My old boss had the same setup as yours but with the touchscreen display, it was badass! :bowdown: Might just suck it up and buy it once I can afford to... it hurts being limited to the stock 6-disc changer. :(

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: There was a time where you gave me shit for listening to Porcupine Tree. I'm glad to see you come around. :metal:

[action=Drew]also realizes that there was a time I gave Chris shit for power metal, yet he rolled into work blaring the new Kamelot this fine morning.:D[/action]

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Touchscreen on a single-DIN Alpine? :scratch:

No sorry, I didn't mean Alpine. I meant he has his Ipod controllable 100% from his car stereo, which happens to be a touchscreen interface. I don't believe it was an Alpine, I guess I worded that funny. :lol: My bad! :wub: