Thermionik Amp VSTs - Holy S***!!!!!!

Elric

Reaction score
Elric - that's "saturation" at the bottom right. I think the naming could be a little clearer but that controls power amp saturation (same as "volume" on a master volume amp) to make the power tubes saturate more. The "output" is more literal, so you can dime the power section and take the level hitting the cab emulation down to match. I do this all the time with the Plexi model etc, have that on 10 and all the EQ pretty high to simulate that "dimed" effect.
Wow, thanks steelyad! I had thought it was like a saturation control for a preamp gain stage (similar to how the AxeFx 2 has a preamp saturation switch and level control). That is a great tip. I figured Kazrog would have this covered somehow. Time to give that a deeper look. I know I had been critical of the interface stuff on Thermionik in the past but, man, I am getting some great sounds with it of late. It is really climbing up my list of favorite amp sims rapidly and I'm sure this info will help me out even more. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I just purchased two of these packs (now that Reason supports VSTs), and I must say I really like the Ogre Excess and FB100 (enough to make me consider ditching my HD500). I would really like to try the VH4 sims, but they are much higher CPU usage than the other sims in the pack.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I bought M4 and Psycho C, both are killer. 5150III for in your face hi-gain tones, and Mark IV for diversity to do almost everything.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I tried them, but they just sound like total shit for me for some reason. The inbuilt presets for any of the sims are SUPER noisy, far too much gain, tone is total mush.

I'm running good guitars (both active and passive pickups) into a good interface (Apogee DUET), running the plugin in Logic. I have Ownhammer and Rosen impulses. Nothing is clipping at input. Other plugins like TSE sound great.

Is there some control I'm missing somewhere? I know that something is wrong because it definitely shouldn't sound this bad.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I tried them, but they just sound like total shit for me for some reason. The inbuilt presets for any of the sims are SUPER noisy, far too much gain, tone is total mush.

I'm running good guitars (both active and passive pickups) into a good interface (Apogee DUET), running the plugin in Logic. I have Ownhammer and Rosen impulses. Nothing is clipping at input. Other plugins like TSE sound great.

Is there some control I'm missing somewhere? I know that something is wrong because it definitely shouldn't sound this bad.

That's weird, for me these are clearest sounding amp sims I have ever used. Do you use a noise gate with them? Note that inbuilt presets have gain and saturation knobs almost at maximum level. And that's not really what you want. Okay, I tried factory presets for the first time and they are awful as always.

At front controls section there is saturation knob, which simulates how poweramp tubes react in real amps, almost like a master volume. I tend to dial it down somewhere between 3-4.5 for tighter and colder sound, and compensate it with output volume knob.

Options section has input trim and quality knobs which may affect also, I dial in input gain inside the plugin about -1.5db. Boosting too much with tubescreamer can cause signal clipping, so keep levels controlled in there too.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the presets, I don't think i've ever come across a hi-gain preset on any device or amp sim that ever worked. A noise gate is a must, he was working on a guitar aimed noisegate VST and I occasionally bug him about it but it hasn't been released yet.

Try TSE 808 neutral settings, Psycho C with the gain, input and depth lowered to taste, cycle through some Rosen Digital impulses until you find one that works, hi pass, low pass, cut some 4k and you should have a good tone.

Metropolis

Reaction score
For setup that I use Rosen Digital ir's always sounded like caricature of a guitar cabinet. Super boomy low end and very fizzy top end is just something that doesn't fit.

Jon from Sonic Drive Studio has a really nice tutorial about how Ownhammer impulses work with Thermionik 5.

tender_insanity

Reaction score
I've bought the modern classics 1 license. At first I was thrilled about them but not so much anymore. Still, the best 6505 emulation to my ears comes from ReValver 4.
For Engl stuff the Mercuriall U530 and ReValver's Angel are good to go. For Mesas I prefer Mercuriall and ReValver as well. From my library, Kazrog and Overloud TH3 are
the most unused ones.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That's weird, for me these are clearest sounding amp sims I have ever used. Do you use a noise gate with them? Note that inbuilt presets have gain and saturation knobs almost at maximum level. And that's not really what you want. Okay, I tried factory presets for the first time and they are awful as always.

At front controls section there is saturation knob, which simulates how poweramp tubes react in real amps, almost like a master volume. I tend to dial it down somewhere between 3-4.5 for tighter and colder sound, and compensate it with output volume knob.

Options section has input trim and quality knobs which may affect also, I dial in input gain inside the plugin about -1.5db. Boosting too much with tubescreamer can cause signal clipping, so keep levels controlled in there too.

Based on all these comments, I decided to try the Kazrog stuff again. I did a complete uninstall, downloaded the install manager again, let it download and install everything...

And they're great. Straight away, useable sounds from the models that I tried. The presets aren't brilliant (when are they ever), but they're nowhere near as terrible as before.

No idea what had gone wrong, but it's fixed now

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I own everything from kazrog. Killer stuff. thermionik + good ir + soothe + renaissance axx. takes zero effort to dial in a good sound.

')