Thermionik Psycho C Mix Test and Thoughts (Good Tiger Content)

Masoo2

Reaction score
Firstly: Credit to MixTheFreak on Soundcloud and YouTube for the multitracks.

After seeing JoshuaTheKvlt's (just Joshua on here IIRC) post on the Thermionik FB100 I decided to give their plugins a shot and downloaded their demo package of their amp sims.

The first thing I noticed when using them was how responsive they were when compared to other amp simulator plugins, such as POD Farm or TSE X50. They felt "real," responding to pick attack and volume adjustments much better than their competitors. :yesway:

The tones are excellent as well. I particularly like the Psycho models and the FB100, being based off of the 5150 III and Friedman BE-100 respectively. They all have more than enough gain on tap, so much so that I didn't find an overdrive or clean boost to be necessary.

Here's the mixtest I made using the Psycho C. It's of Good Tiger's Snake Oil. The guitars might sound a bit weird at some points, but that's because the author of the stems recorded them in Drop B and I had to use a pitch shifter to get them to Drop D.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/masoo242/good-tiger-snake-oil-mix-test-2[/SC]

Steven Slate Drums for the kick and snare (used Death Metal Culture's SSD guides as reference, great stuff) and Superior's Avatar kit for toms, cymbals, and room. Various Waves, FabFilter, Slate, etc... plugins for the mixing, and a modified version of Brian Hood's "ghetto b*tch" mastering chain for the mastering.

I found the tone to be a bit hard to EQ at first, but that was mainly due to the impulse I was using (free Zilla impulse I found), but switching to one of the Telos Mini Free IR Pack impulses saved the tone.

Overall, I'd give the Thermionik amp plugins a 8.5 out of 10. Great tone and great real amp feel. I would easily recommend these to anyone struggling to get a nice tone from plugins, or one who can't afford to mic up a real amp and cab or buy a high end modeler. Pair this up with some nice cabs (Ownhammer, Fractal, Torpedo, etc...) and you will have a killer mix ready tone that feels great.

What are your thoughts of the Thermionik amps, my tones, and my mix?

Thanks!

(Yet again, credit to MixTheFreak for the multitracks)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Descent

Reaction score
Sounds really good to me, very nice ambient mix, with lots of dynamics.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Thanks man!

I tried to go for an open and brighter mix (most of mine come out sounding a bit dull on the higher range of the guitars) and didn't squash the mix when mastering, but I do think it could use a bit more fullness from the bass. Vocals would glue it together a little, but there were none included with the stems.

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
Sounds awesome dude! I was comparing the 5150 models last night, decided to buy Psycho A, might get the C model in the future.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Thanks Joshua!

I didn't spend much time with the other Psycho models, mainly since I just decided on the C based off of the actual amp model (5150 III as opposed to I/II). Tons of metal guys these days (IE: Misha) are rocking the actual amps or models of the amps with great results.

Have you messed around with any of the lower gain or clean models much? Any favorites?

vertibration

Reaction score
Firstly: Credit to MixTheFreak on Soundcloud and YouTube for the multitracks.

After seeing JoshuaTheKvlt's (just Joshua on here IIRC) post on the Thermionik FB100 I decided to give their plugins a shot and downloaded their demo package of their amp sims.

The first thing I noticed when using them was how responsive they were when compared to other amp simulator plugins, such as POD Farm or TSE X50. They felt "real," responding to pick attack and volume adjustments much better than their competitors. :yesway:

The tones are excellent as well. I particularly like the Psycho models and the FB100, being based off of the 5150 III and Friedman BE-100 respectively. They all have more than enough gain on tap, so much so that I didn't find an overdrive or clean boost to be necessary.

Here's the mixtest I made using the Psycho C. It's of Good Tiger's Snake Oil. The guitars might sound a bit weird at some points, but that's because the author of the stems recorded them in Drop B and I had to use a pitch shifter to get them to Drop D.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/masoo242/good-tiger-snake-oil-mix-test-2[/SC]

Steven Slate Drums for the kick and snare (used Death Metal Culture's SSD guides as reference, great stuff) and Superior's Avatar kit for toms, cymbals, and room. Various Waves, FabFilter, Slate, etc... plugins for the mixing, and a modified version of Brian Hood's "ghetto b*tch" mastering chain for the mastering.

I found the tone to be a bit hard to EQ at first, but that was mainly due to the impulse I was using (free Zilla impulse I found), but switching to one of the Telos Mini Free IR Pack impulses saved the tone.

Overall, I'd give the Thermionik amp plugins a 8.5 out of 10. Great tone and great real amp feel. I would easily recommend these to anyone struggling to get a nice tone from plugins, or one who can't afford to mic up a real amp and cab or buy a high end modeler. Pair this up with some nice cabs (Ownhammer, Fractal, Torpedo, etc...) and you will have a killer mix ready tone that feels great.

What are your thoughts of the Thermionik amps, my tones, and my mix?

Thanks!

(Yet again, credit to MixTheFreak for the multitracks)

I own a 5150 iii. While I commend Kazrog for developing a good sounding sim in its own right, it falls short on the crunch channel. Its almost weird that the gain stage doesnt distort at around 10-11 o'clock. Also, there is a significant signature sound on the blue channel of the 5150 iii, that the crunch channel of the Psycho C just does not emulate. Its that thumpy, tight, and heavy chug.

Am I crazy? does anyone else who owns a 5150iii get what Im saying?

Masoo2

Reaction score
I own a 5150 iii. While I commend Kazrog for developing a good sounding sim in its own right, it falls short on the crunch channel. Its almost weird that the gain stage doesnt distort at around 10-11 o'clock. Also, there is a significant signature sound on the blue channel of the 5150 iii, that the crunch channel of the Psycho C just does not emulate. Its that thumpy, tight, and heavy chug.

Am I crazy? does anyone else who owns a 5150iii get what Im saying?

You know, I noticed that as well.

The very first channel on the Psycho C I checked out was the blue/crunch, partially based on the results from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8PWgd3rvU (It's not a real 5150III, but the same concept applies)

I had to use the red/lead channel just to get enough gain.

Furyof

Reaction score
What is Brian Hood's Ghetto mastering chain? I'm a fan of his work so I wouldn't mind knowing more of it.

Was looking up Psychi C stuff but wanted to bump this thread to ask. I'm a fan of putting my songs in a little mastering chain when I'm done. Adds that secret sauce goodness.

Masoo2

Reaction score
What is Brian Hood's Ghetto mastering chain? I'm a fan of his work so I wouldn't mind knowing more of it.

Was looking up Psychi C stuff but wanted to bump this thread to ask. I'm a fan of putting my songs in a little mastering chain when I'm done. Adds that secret sauce goodness.

I don't have the video anymore, but if you sign up for this mailing list it should be the last sent to you as a free preview

https://fromshittogold.com/

Nowadays I generally use Waves SSL Comp > Slate VCC > FabFilter Pro-Q 2 > Waves NLS > Slate VTM > Stillwell Event Horizon > L2/L3, occasionally with Slate VBC Grey after the SSL Comp to let the snare come out more and FabFilter Pro-MB specific sections still need control.

Squashing the mix has never been easier since I started using Event Horizon + L2/L3, so I'd approach that combo with some caution. It does get loud though.

')