They DO exist! (Graphtech OFR7 Piezo content! \m/)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Drilling through an OFR baseplate is no joke. They're machined out of case-hardened, billet steel stock. I wouldn't attempt it without a drill press and a tungstun crabide or titanium bit.

That's why they said they wouldn't sell it to random guys who wanted to pull a DIY job with inadequate tools and then freak out when they found out their little home power tools wouldn't cut it! :rofl: I told them it was going on a guitar being built by a professional luthier and they gave me the OK. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
im not seeing a yes or no anywhere on the site. are they only in black, or can you get chrome/gold ones too?

:idea: would a dremel work?

:lol:

i dont think most people have worked with case hardened steel before, and thus dont realize quite what theyre getting in to. you know, at all?
Its times like this im REALLY happy my dad had a good shop going in the back yard. Who knows why he ever wanted steel machining bits and a hydraulic drillpress? he never used any of it once. thats a lot of money he dropped on that shit :nuts:
but then, who knew id ever want/have a good use for it :lol:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck finding an original Edge 7 though. :lol:

Ill buy it from you if you do. for WAY more than you paid. cause if you bought one, you bought it from someone who didnt know what they had, and sold it too cheap :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
are they only in black, or can you get chrome/gold ones too?

They're not "black" like in a metal-painted-black sense. It's the same material as all their other graphite-esque products if you've seen those before. Basically not made of metal, so they're only coming in that "color" unless they determine otherwise and go for more of the L.R. Baggs-style piezo saddles where it just has the little piezo crystal inserted into a metal saddle.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how they avoid 'brushing' noise. the L.R Baggs system is fantastically simple and works a treat, but I fail to see how it could work in this system. :scratch:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would there be more 'brushing' noise with this than with the Baggs system? For all intents and purposes the piezo elements are in the same contact point, so neither would be more prone to this than the other :shrug:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Why would there be more 'brushing' noise with this than with the Baggs system? For all intents and purposes the piezo elements are in the same contact point, so neither would be more prone to this than the other :shrug:

I've just re-read what Matt said about numbered saddles so my point is moot I guess. Maybe.

The Ibanez system uses alternating saddles. Every second saddle is 180 degrees out of phase with the adjacent one, and you can tell them apart from the black or white lead. Graphtech took a different approach (assuming they did at all) where each saddle must be in a particular position for phase cancellation. Which is cool.

And I'm not being a cantankerous dick about these. I'm just posting when I should be in bed. :lol:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ha! I bet that damn switch on the LR Baggs circuit is a phase switch, then.

If you put the 3-way switch in BOTH mode, and output mode on 1 output only, you can hear some phase shit going on if you sweep the pan control (which is usually the piezo volume on dual output mode).

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score

Ah ha! I bet that damn switch on the LR Baggs circuit is a phase switch, then.

If you put the 3-way switch in BOTH mode, and output mode on 1 output only, you can hear some phase shit going on if you sweep the pan control (which is usually the piezo volume on dual output mode).

I don't see how that would affect phase issues.

The whole idea behind the system was that a)when people brush the saddles, they will brush more than one and that b)white noise can be canceled out when 180 degrees out of phase (and the noises between saddles will be very similar) yet notes will not, as the standing wave patterns formed in a guitar string are almost completely unique to that string.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Huh?

I mean the switch is a phase switch. (Guess... I think I remember hitting it once and hearing the phase reverse on the strings when it was in that middle-mode thing I mentioned... say, example, E was strong, B was weak... it reverses.)

But in the mid mode, on 3-way, you definitely can hear those phase dealios. Regardless of what you "can see." ;)

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Huh?

I mean the switch is a phase switch. (Guess... I think I remember hitting it once and hearing the phase reverse on the strings when it was in that middle-mode thing I mentioned... say, example, E was strong, B was weak... it reverses.)

But in the mid mode, on 3-way, you definitely can hear those phase dealios. Regardless of what you "can see." ;)

I really don't understand how that could happen. There is no reason for any string to be 'stronger' or 'louder' than another unless you haven't strung it up properly.

Which I think you and me both know, Titmouse, wouldn't happen. :wub:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, trust me. I've fucked around with it PLENTY of times.

If you're in dual output mode, you never hear it. If you're in single output mode, but select ONLY magnetic or ONLY piezo, you never hear it.

But if you're in A) single outout mode, and B) select BOTH mag and piezo, the piezo volume becomes a blend/pan control, and when you get towards the middle range, you can ABSOLUTELY hear that the strings are out of phase with each other. Every OTHER string is louder, every other string is quieter. Hit that tiny switch on the circuit board, and viola! :)D) they swap places.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, trust me. I've fucked around with it PLENTY of times.

If you're in dual output mode, you never hear it. If you're in single output mode, but select ONLY magnetic or ONLY piezo, you never hear it.

But if you're in A) single outout mode, and B) select BOTH mag and piezo, the piezo volume becomes a blend/pan control, and when you get towards the middle range, you can ABSOLUTELY hear that the strings are out of phase with each other. Every OTHER string is louder, every other string si quieter. Hit that tiny switch on the circuit board, and viola! :)D)) they swap places.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

I understand.

Sorry. :wallbash:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
We'll always be friends. You n' me, we're like peas n' carrots.

Forrest-Gump.jpg

I was just doing a shitty job explaining myself, I thinks. It took you to enlighten me it was phase, but when you said it, I was like, "Doh!"

')