They're finally making a movie about Euronymous/Mayhem

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
In all fairness, I probably wouldn't agree to offer anything to the filmmakers if I were in their shoes either. Even if the film gave a completely accurate recounting of events, no one really comes out of it looking good. Hell, if Varg slammed it, that makes me want to see it all the more.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
In all fairness, I probably wouldn't agree to offer anything to the filmmakers if I were in their shoes either. Even if the film gave a completely accurate recounting of events, no one really comes out of it looking good. Hell, if Varg slammed it, that makes me want to see it all the more.

Well he slammed it, but he was also rather immature in that he called the guy who plays him a "fat jew."

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well he slammed it, but he was also rather immature in that he called the guy who plays him a "fat jew."
I rest my case. :lol:

Actually, if I were producing this, I would totally cast someone Jewish as Varg just as the biggest imaginable middle finger to the colossal racist prick. Even better, someone Jewish and black. I think you'd be able to see Varg's head exploding from space. :rofl:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I rest my case. :lol:

Actually, if I were producing this, I would totally cast someone Jewish as Varg just as the biggest imaginable middle finger to the colossal racist prick. Even better, someone Jewish and black. I think you'd be able to see Varg's head exploding from space. :rofl:

I would actually watch that just to laugh. As much of a fan as I am of his music, the guy himself can seriously go get fucked.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I would actually watch that just to laugh. As much of a fan as I am of his music, the guy himself can seriously go get fucked.
Honestly, that's a big reason I want to see this. Even if it's an objectively bad movie, I'll be satisfied if it even comes remotely close to portraying what massive shitlords some of these people were and/or still are.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Honestly, that's a big reason I want to see this. Even if it's an objectively bad movie, I'll be satisfied if it even comes remotely close to portraying what massive shitlords some of these people were and/or still are.

From what I understand from a lot of the interviews, they've mostly all chilled out (least compared to back then). I have an encyclopedia for Black Metal written by Dayal Patterson and it contains various interviews. A lot of them seem to be quite level headed and in one instance, it talked about Faust (Emperor) who stabbed a gay man to death in the woods. There was speculation as to whether it was self-defense as the guy was supposedly trying to rape Faust and the quote supported the killing if it was self-defense but if it was simply just cold-blooded murder that it was something that he couldn't support. The encyclopedia also furthers the idea that things got extreme as they did simply because they were jaded and young and that now they can't believe how far everything in that scene went.

Here's the exact quote about the aforementioned scenario:

"I have heard some explanations from Bard on what triggered it," ponders Necrobutcher, "and if those things are correct, this guy hassled him... maybe tried to attack him sexually. Say you walk down the street and a homo tries to fuck you in your ass, what would you do if you had a knife in your pocket? Would you stab the guy? Probably, yes. Maybe, if you're just eighteen years old, would you stab him more than one time? Maybe you would panic and just stab him 'til the guy let go of your hair and fell down... the only thing I know is what he said, but maybe he followed the guy himself, wanted to kill him, planned it, he just didn't like his face and waited until he was in the park and attacked him. But knowing this guy, I really doubt that. If it was self-defense, I think it was a good thing--if it was cold-blooded murder, that I don't like."

While I don't agree with some of the language here, particularly the use of the word "homo," I can see his point and if anything one can glean that perhaps while they seem to be more black and white on certain issues, the basic point is there that they're not completely savages. The impression that I always had before reading this encyclopedia is perhaps more ignorant than the ideas of some of the more extreme members. Before I read it, I had always pictured a bunch of mopey goth kids with very little to no personality, but turns out, a lot of them were just regular kids trying to be a little more extreme than the rest of us.

Another interesting quote that grabs my eye is from Manheim:

"I think people have a tendency to think that if you are into metal that's all that you are into," Manheim adds. "But that's a fan thing, if you talk to musicians, they have all kinds of influences behind them..."

The quote before this even cited Kraftwerk as an interest.

A quote from Mortiis:

"They were black metal parties, you know," recalls Mortiis. "The mood was okay, some people would be ass-drunk, others would sort of sulk in corners, everyone wanted to live up to something I suppose. I remember I drove a map needle into my arm until the bone stopped it and I heard Euro once drove a spike into his forehead. I also remember that I broke a beer bottle over my own head during one of those parties. A guy once came in waving a gun--he might have been a member of Abhorrent/Thyabhorrent--all kinds of shit could happen."

This next one is from Grutle of Enslaved:

"Obviously we have had some crazy ideas about this and that... some stupid or weird ideas about humanity," says Enslaved's Grutle Kjellson. "But generally we had beers and we laughed... we didn't sit there like this," he frowns and crosses his arms, "all the time."

The last few paragraphs were typed directly from the book. Had to go find it real quick, but if we're talking about the general scene, I think that some ideas could be gleaned from those paragraphs.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Of all of the possible impressions of that trailer, this stuck out for me: who is this movie for? Fans of the music probably aren't going to like it, and the public probably doesn't need another thing out there suggesting that metalheads are violent, evil, or- worse- ridiculous. While the book of the same name was brimming with sensationalism, it was kind of able to soften some of matter with context and I really doubt that's going to happen here.

wankerness

Reaction score
Of all of the possible impressions of that trailer, this stuck out for me: who is this movie for? Fans of the music probably aren't going to like it, and the public probably doesn't need another thing out there suggesting that metalheads are violent, evil, or- worse- ridiculous. While the book of the same name was brimming with sensationalism, it was kind of able to soften some of matter with context and I really doubt that's going to happen here.

Don't worry, no one other than metalheads is going to go see it.

wankerness

Reaction score
or fans of low budget indie films..

Maybe. I should have said "no one in the general public is going to see it." The trailer is directed enough at metalheads and silly enough (just look at how the super-dramatic music with faux-opera vocals kicks in for the dramatic kiss between Sky and the corpse-painted Culkin in the woods) that I think many of them will stay away. They tend to be more discerning than average movie-goers. :p Either way, whatever, it's probably not going to budge any needles on opinions of metalheads downwards other than among the crowd that listens to Steely Dan or The Arcade Fire and already thinks they're all savages. ;)

I just looked up the reviews: no wonder I missed them. The first review I read was dated January 28, 2018!! They all say "it is about how horrible and stupid young males are," with most of them saying it's funny and one saying "enough already, it just keeps hammering that point into the ground over and over."

EDIT: Hmm, didn't know the director was in Bathory. That kinda excuses "not talking to anyone in the scene" a bit!

Descent

Reaction score

well, you want to have some sort of historical accuracy unless you want to completely misconstrue and smear over the whole movement so no one knows what is true and what is BS, so in this case I agree with Varg. The casting is definitely off and don't let anyone tell you that it all isn't done on purpose.

wankerness

Reaction score
Good, if you're a nazi and a murderer that makes casio music from the comfort of your nice scandinavian jail you don't deserve to have a hagiography made about you.

Descent

Reaction score
Well, I am a metal music fan first. This movie is clearly an op-ed piece meant to destroy whatever real factology there is about that period. That's what I am seeing it as.

wankerness

Reaction score
Well, I am a metal music fan first. This movie is clearly an op-ed piece meant to destroy whatever real factology there is about that period. That's what I am seeing it as.

I didn't get that impression from the reviews from metalheads, AT ALL. Read the one on birthmoviesdeath, for example.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
and the public probably doesn't need another thing out there suggesting that metalheads are violent, evil, or- worse- ridiculous.
:lol: While not violent or "evil", metalheads are ridiculous and frequently lacking in any semblance of self-awareness; especially black metal fans and musicians. I've interacted with enough of them over the years to be certain of this. The previews have made it look like hot garbage but if the movie ends up sending that particular message I'd say it's pretty on point, if only in that regard. Really more than anything I'm just shocked it's finally coming out, I've been hearing about this adaptation since 2006, maybe late 2005 at the earliest.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
:lol: While not violent or "evil", metalheads are ridiculous and frequently lacking in any semblance of self-awareness; especially black metal fans and musicians. I've interacted with enough of them over the years to be certain of this. The previews have made it look like hot garbage but if the movie ends up sending that particular message I'd say it's pretty on point, if only in that regard. Really more than anything I'm just shocked it's finally coming out, I've been hearing about this adaptation since 2006, maybe late 2005 at the earliest.

As a black metal fan myself, a lot of these "trve kvlt" fuckers piss me off. God forbid someone slow the fuck down and play some melody like Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, or Deafheaven.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
As a black metal fan myself, a lot of these "trve kvlt" fuckers piss me off. God forbid someone slow the fuck down and play some melody like Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, or Deafheaven.
trv kvlt is a meme at this point, just like the whole "black metal is just surf music with distortion" one.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
It's my favorite sub-genre of metal by far (I'm also guilty of not liking a single one of those bands), but there's no denying how ridiculous it is with the excessive posturing and dudes 20+ years my senior still judging the worth of bands by whether or not they seem truly "devoted to evil". To an outsider it's all just "screamo" at the end of the day.

Latest posts