Thicker strings and the effect on tone?

• Thread starter Stench of Necropsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stench of Necropsy

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I came across Cannibal Corpse's gear info here:
Cannibal Corpse - Rob Barrett Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment

And noticed that guitarist Rob Barrett (and I think Pat O'Brien, too) uses 13-56 or 13-63 gauge strings for his 6-string guitar.

Now I know that they tune down to Eb on the first three albums or so and then went all the way down to Bb or something, but since Rob is using a 6-string, I was just wondering what tuning he's in to use those thick strings.

The reason I'm asking is because I use 10s on an Eb-tuned 6-string and was wondering whether thicker strings would give a thicker, heavier tone.
I know that the attack would be shortened while the sustain would be increased but I don't know how the tone would be affected. Maybe you guys can help, thanks.

Oh, I also play a 7-string with standard gauges (9s) so this principle of thicker strings for the same tuning would apply to 7-string guitars, too, of course. :)

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
like everything, it depends. too thick, the strings would sound stiff and boomy, and sustain actually dies faster. too thin, and the notes go sharp during the initial pick attack (at least in my hands) and just sound wooly.

i like my strings fairly thick though, it sound meatier, snappier and brighter. but reasonably thick though. i used to like them phone cable thick until i noticed a lot of the body of the guitar's sound is gone under such huge tension (i once had 17-68 on C standard :nuts:) the strings just don't vibrate anymore! so now i'm considering lighter gauges, like 13-62 instead. i should even go 12-60 for that same tuning.

although you mentioned 10's, that could mean 10-46 or 10-52. ideally for me i'd prefer a 10-50 set for E standard. see what works best for you!

Sumsar

Reaction score
(i once had 17-68 on C standard :nuts:)

I lolled! As someone who uses 9 - 54 on a sevenstring for C standard it sounds rediciless, your strings are like 30% thicker than mine.. could you bend with those strings?

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
:lol: i'm not a fan of bends (well i didn't use to be) so that wasn't much of a problem. let's say the thick strings were like heavy irons to work out my hands before handling the more average ones.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure this is in the right sub forum, but anyway:

1) According to the link you posted he plays LP's and Dean Caddys, they have a 24 3/4" Neck. 13-56 as Eb will feel a lighter than 13-56 in Eb on a 25.5" neck. SRV was noted for playing 13-56's on a strat in Eb and doing a lot of blues bends so yeah its possible. It would be a bit like a 12's set on a strat.

The General (read vague) rule of thumb is whatever gauge you use on an 24 3/4 neck go one gauge down on a 25.5 neck. Its not perfect science but its 'guitar player science'.

2) YMMV some people swear by heavy strings, some by light strings some by hybrid strings. There is logic that more mass = more magnetic pull but whether that means more/better tone is in your ears and not mine. Personally my main guitar is 26.5 and I use 9-60 (7 String B Standard) the 9 is a little out of balance and should really be an 8 but meh. On a strat I use 10-52's to keep roughly the same tension in standard E tuning.

Honestly I would say spend the time figuring out what YOU like, not what someone else uses. I'm reminded of BB King's famous conversation with Billy Gibbons which apparently went something like this:

BB: Man why you fighting with them heavy strings?
Billy: Its better for tone right?
BB: Naw man, you just turn up that knob on the amp.

And billy uses 7-38's o_O oh and 8-40…

FOR SLIDE

Anyway my 2 cents would be figure out what you like and what helps you play.

wat

Reaction score
Thicker strings will have more low end and sound bigger. If you pick really lightly they may sound too dark. They need a little more pick attack to bring out the bite.

If you play 10's but wanna experiment with heavier gauges, i'd suggest you try a light top/heavy bottom set like .010-.052. That's what I use for both standard & Eb on 6 string guitars and it just sounds really chunky.

For seven string, I just use regular .009's or .010's but i go online and order a .068 or .065 on the low string. I want the low string to be really thick in order to produce a strong, stable fundamental note and the low strings on most regular 7 string sets aren't sufficiently thick for what I do.

Sumsar

Reaction score
It seems to really depend on what you want your band to sound like.
If you want the guitars and bass to basicly sound like one instrument, then lower tunings on the guitars and thick strings will create that melting pot thing where you can't really tell the bass and guitar apart, which seems to be popular these days.
Thin strings even on a somewhat down tuned guitar will give more seperation in the overall mix because the guitar is simply brighter. And of cause there is every variation inbetween those two.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've always found that thicker strings make a fuller, clunky sound, and that standard strings sound a little too snappy.

I use D'Addario's "optimized for C standard" set, which is 12-60; However, I always replace for a wound 3rd any time I downtune because detuned plain 3rds sound absolutely stupid.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ that's the same set i'm using right now for D standard/drop C on 25.5". just curious, how have you had it set up?

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
The most I can say is that there's a sweet spot between too thick and too thin. Too thin, you sustain well but any amount of attack causes the strings to go sharp then drop back into tune when picked. Too tight and there's little sustain.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think tighter strings tend to be brighter, and looser strings tend to be warmer.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I usually associate heavier strings with more clarity. I play with 12 or 13's on my SG and it is like... clear as a bell. The attack is slightly muffled, but that to me translates into a smoother tone. I think the tension allows for the note clarity. It is hard to play, but I think it is an improvement. The other good thing about the thicker gauges is I think it allows for heavier sounding mutes, and when you are playing frantic rhythm lines, it will stay is tune better.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^ that's the same set i'm using right now for D standard/drop C on 25.5". just curious, how have you had it set up?

I have it set up for C standard (like the package says!)/ drop Bb. If I'm being honest the 60 isn't really cutting it for Bb on my SG. But in C standard it's absolutely perfect sounding and feeling, to me.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Thick strings are cool, but too thick and they start to lose punch and definition, to me anyway. I think the whole,"thickest strings and lowest possible tuning" deal has gotten a bit out of hand, but to each their own.

My 7 is in drop A with a .62 gauge on the low end, but next string change I'm putting some 10-56's on her and tuning up to drop c.

My main 6 I've been playing the most lately is in drop D with 10-52's and it couldn't be better.

I'm more into the thrashy/death metaly type riffin and drop D and C fit the bill perfectly, for me.

Toejam

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I came across Cannibal Corpse's gear info here:
Cannibal Corpse - Rob Barrett Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment

And noticed that guitarist Rob Barrett (and I think Pat O'Brien, too) uses 13-56 or 13-63 gauge strings for his 6-string guitar.

Now I know that they tune down to Eb on the first three albums or so and then went all the way down to Bb or something, but since Rob is using a 6-string, I was just wondering what tuning he's in to use those thick strings.
I think they still tune just a half-step flat. When they were in Bb, they used 7-strings.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I originally started learn on an acoustic strung up with 13-56 in E. I think I played with .009s for a few months when I was first starting with electric and then went up to .012-.054 because the .009s felt wrong. So I'm probably not a great person to claim one way or the other but I tune to C with .014-.067 strings (I think those are the gauges, I'm too tired to go check). They don't sound "thicker" or "heavier" to me than if I were to tune my 12's down to C, they just duplicate the tension I'm used to playing with in E standard in C, hence why I use them.

Nick

Reaction score
Cannibal Corpse's last 4 albums have been a mixture of Ab and Bb on 6 strings. One of their ex members used a UV on the Wretched Spawn but other than him there was no use of 7 strings.

Using heavier strings for the same tuning will affect the tone. If you go really heavy it starts to take on bass like characteristics IMO where it gets really punchy.

Personally i prefer using lighter strings - I use a 62 for the A on my 25.5 scale 6 string in drop A and I think its perfect. I prefer the crunchier feel of lighter strings to the puch of heavier ones.

Defi

Reaction score
I use 12's on my LP in standard E and it does not seem too stiff. I also have a 25.5" with 9s in E and a 25.5" with 11s in standard D. The one that feels stiffest is the standard D. The LP could be 11's just as well for my taste but I tune it down sometimes.

But the basics that have been posted are true in my opinion as well. Bigger string = less bite. I used to think big strings meant tone and would also push for the biggest while still playable but I think I'm going to start going for the lightest while still playable.

O00Coolzero00O

Reaction score
I used Ernie ball Heavy Top and light bottoms (11-54) on my Jackson RR1T in Eb tuning and the tone felt huge. Each chord I hit felt solid and resonant, like a brick to the chest when coming out of my amp.

It does take time to get used to, but it definitely makes a difference.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I use 11-50 for standard, and 12-56 for drop C and think the tone is great. IMO heavier strings fatten up your tone but like others have said, only to a point. I'd guess what I'm using is getting close to the point of diminishing returns on tone. Also, make sure you check your neck since if you make a big change you'll need to adjust the truss rod.

')